In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pa handgun transfer--- Father to son

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
cash777 asked this question.

Case- purchased a 1911 3 months ago' Now would like to give it to my son who is 1. over 21 2. Has purchased handguns in Pa. on his own. 3.has a concealed carry permit. Question. Do I need to do ffl check before giving it to him. Have already been told yes [better safe then sorry] No as long as you know he is not prohibited from having one ---- pfa -- drugs --felony etc. This was at two different gun shops. Thanks

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Case- purchased a 1911 3 months ago' Now would like to give it to my son who is 1. over 21 2. Has purchased handguns in Pa. on his own. 3.has a concealed carry permit. Question. Do I need to do ffl check before giving it to him. Have already been told yes [better safe then sorry] No as long as you know he is not prohibited from having one ---- pfa -- drugs --felony etc. This was at two different gun shops. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Then he posted this.....

From doing my research at NRA/ILA firearms law for Pa.I think this would fall under the exempt rule since he has a carry permit already and it would be legal to give/lend him a handgun.I e-mailed this question also to Pa firearms owners association and waiting a reply. Thanks
    edited November -1
    Then PA Shootist tried to help with this.....

To actually answer the man's question, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania all handguns must be "transferred", subjected to the process of state law, RIGHT or WRONG. An FFL in the state can effect the transfer. Of course it sucks! But it is the current law in the state. We all have the right to obey the law, or not; to try to change it through legal means in whatever way we can.
    edited November -1
    Now........
    If you can not help cash777 with his question, leave this post alone.
  • IC19IC19 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/18/II/G/61/A/6111/sale-or-transfer-of-firearms/

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.