In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quite Throwing Away Your Catalogs & Mags!!!

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
By accident I just stumbled upon a free and easy (my two favorite words in the English Language) way to help gun rights and also recycle at the same time. I have to admit that after I read the different pro-gun magazines, slick looking gun catalogs or even commercial gun magazines, I would let them lay around a long time (too long to suit my wife) and then either sometimes throw them out or send them to the recycling center. But I accidently found a much better use for all those nice looking publications which will help gun rights. I just make sure they get passed around in my community.

Ideally the one best person to actually hand an American Rifleman magazine, or a GunsnStuff slick looking catalog to would be someone who has never owned guns but is thinking about buying some. All they need is a little push. But failing that just leave the gun literure almost anyway is far better than letting it sit somewhere unread by anyone but you. Leave something in the lunchroom at work, or on a park bench or as a last resort, in the men's bathroom stall. I was looking at a borrowed copy of shotgunnews at work the other day and a co-worker had his interest caught by a really good price on a used police trade in S&W .38 special. I let himm copy down the info and he went ahead and ordered the gun. I don't think he has purchased many guns because he was clueless about how to process the purchase and I was able to help him. So thanks to a gun catalog we now have one more shooter among us which is a GOOD THING! Whadda think?

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.

Comments

• SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My employer would probably throw a hissy fit if I left a gun mag lying around in the break room - even though other people leave books and other mags. The think is, I don't subscribe to any mags, and only pick them up occasionally when I find an article that I'm interested in, so I end up keeping them.

Tell me where you work though, and I'll come pick up your used ones in the bathroom [:p] since I only work a few miles away (I work in Shawnee Mission). Those mags are expensive, I think, and I usually spend my extra money like that on books.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Skywatcher: I work near 119th & Metcalf in O.P.. If you were to leave your old catalogs or gun magazines in the bathroom, I doubt your employer could prove it was you that did it. And it doesn't have to be something expensive that you purchased to act as "bait" and perhaps influence another person to our gun owner,constitutional rights side. It can be a free magazine that comes with an NRA membership or even a free Gun Owners Of America newsletter or even some of the good ideas posted and printed here on GB.com. In the case of the professionally done newsletters and NRA magazines, the time, effort and valuable ideas that wwere put into those publications are far too valaubable to be read by only one person.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about in any waiting room.
    Doctor? Dentist? Tire store? Prescription dept?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    pickenup: perfect. when you go for an appointment, just accidently drop off a magazine or catalog. Those things are professionaly made, with lots of money and effort, to influence us, the usual receipents. They sure as hell can influence others as well.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the things I like to do for christmas last few years has been to buy subscriptions to public places. First I buy one for the barber shop where I get my hair cut, a bunch of conservative old men, who speak freely on any subject, this year I bought the animial hospital a subscription to G&A, and Field and Stream. I pay for them and they just start showing up there. I don't know the outcome, but it's worth the money to me, kind of my silent way of saying something.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox - I work at 95th & Nall - just about 5 minutes from you, but live in south KC. Do you do any shooting in the area? I have a membership over at the Bullet Hole, but they still charge $7 for your daily range fees every time you go. I was wondering if you knew of any cheaper/better places to shoot? Ideally, I would like to find an outdoor range around here, but I haven't found any close yet.

Also, just had this thought, but are there any gun rights organizations active in this area that you know about?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    As usual fox...another good idea that I had not thought of! I will follow thru on this one also....I had noticed that there NEVER seams to be GOOD reading material at the drocs. etc. but ......duh ,I'll change that soon enough!Thanks![:)]L.H.
    edited November -1
    skywatcher: You should without any hesitation join the Western Missouri Shooters Alliance. Use key word function and go to their website on the internet. For about ten years I have known about this group and they have done more for MO gun owners than anyone else I know of. Their president is a Gladstone lawyer named Kevin Jamison. They need all the support they can get.

In regards to shooting I don't like the bullethole indoor range. I don't think management trys to keep their range in good condition nor do they carre much about the comfort of their customers who come to shoot. There is an indoor range in Claycomo, MO and Independence, MO that is much better although smaller and they appreciate the business. One is the centerfire range aka Clayco Gun shop and the other is the Crossfire range. Therre is also a gun club in Missouri call the Pioneer Gun Club and they have an outdoor range and I believe an indoor range that members can use any time they choose. There are two outdoor ranges in Johnson County one of whilch I am thinking about joining. I also have a membership in the Williamsburg, KS (S.W. of Ottawa, KS) Outdoor range where I can go anytime and using my key to let myself onto the property and shoot rifles, shotguns or pistols or just put a boat onto the lake and fish, etc. Membership is lilmited to only letting new people buy a membership fromsomeone giving their's up. Cost anywhere from $200-500 but then only $31.00 per year.

• tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have been leaving gun mags in waiting rooms for years...At follow-up appointments, they are always gone...Can only hope that someone took them home...Regardless, it's something we should all do rather than throw them away..

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • pagunpartspagunparts Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always leave my old magazine (and current gunshow schedules) in waiting rooms, drop them off at toll booths, car repair waiting rooms, etc.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually leave old gun mags in places like waiting rooms, or even the post office if I get an extra copy. I just tear out my address label and leave the magazine in view.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I probably should donate my periodicals and the infinite wisdom they contain, to the masses, but I don't. I save them for future reference.[:D]
    edited November -1
    wolf, in regards to you last post, I bet you can no longer park your car in your garage! (he he just kidding)