In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Permit

mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
Hey guys. I live in northwest Indiana and I was just wondering what I would have to go through to get my gun permit. I am only 17 now but I will be 18 in december and I would like to get a gun permit when I turn 18 or at the altest 19.

Comments

• MeanieMeanie Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you need to make the 3-4 hour drive up to wisconsin and stay here! as a treat if you stay here till you're 21 you can buy a machinegun!
  • calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since all state laws vary from state to state your best option (unless someone answeres this post that actually knows your local laws) would be for you to contact the Sheriff's department in the county you live in.
  • mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok thanks calamitywood. and meanie I can buy a machinegun here too. I just got to wait till I turn 18.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm from Terre Haute, In. Am not real sure of age requirementd---have sent mail to In. State Dept. for clarification.

Personally, I have personal protection permit (have had for 30 + yrs)

What I do for renual:

1) go to County Sheriff's, apply for permit under Indiana Constitution , pay small fee (varies by county), you are finger-printed. You must state which permit requisted (Hunting & Fishing--where you can transport unloaded fire arms to and from shooting and hunting sites) or (Personal Protection---where you are able to carry concealed, loaded firearm anywhere in the state--as long as it does not interfer with Federal laws, State and Local ---airports, court houses, etc ---commen sense places!!)

Don't quote , but I believe that is where the age requirements are a factor, between the two types of permits.

2) After the local Sherrf's office, another fee is required.
    Your finger-prints are sent to the In. State Police office, with you initial form plus fee. There your background is checked and the form is either approved or dis-approved. Entire process may take few days or several weeks, depending on volume of forms State recieves.

Thank goodness Indiana has a fairly straight forward method for permits, plus a State constitution that recgonises our 2Amd. rights.
  • d6165d6165 Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Indiana the legal age was 18 last year so I am assuming it still is.

Go to local sheriff,s office get finger printed and then have the sheriff sign it or the town marshal if you live in city limits. Then pay them $10.

Go to post office get money order for $15 mail it to the state with your paper work.

Wait a few weeks and get permit if your approved after the State checks your criminal record.

Zeek

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die!
  • mansonmanson Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    alright thanks guys for all your help.
  • paulbyrdpaulbyrd Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why drive to wisconsin and wait till he's 21 when he can buy a machine gun here at age 18???

quote:Originally posted by Meanie
    you need to make the 3-4 hour drive up to wisconsin and stay here! as a treat if you stay here till you're 21 you can buy a machinegun!

Paul Byrd
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by manson
    ok thanks calamitywood. and meanie I can buy a machinegun here too. I just got to wait till I turn 18.

BATFE class III license requires that you are 21. Submit your $200 for the Dept. of treasury tax stamp, then you gotta find an NFA dealer, then you have to get approval from all local law enforcement and THEN, you can have your machinegun (provided that it was manufactured prior to 1986)

Liberal compassion inhibits progress.........think Republican and prosper!
  • James R. K.James R. K. Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.packing.org/ has a lot of the state law info, mostly CCW, and links to folks with answers they don't have.

[:D] Every time I shoot I hit something [:D]
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you need to learn the law and regs better than the folks on the other side of the counter