In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

U.P.S. won't ship antique gun!!

charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
Won 1871 mauser at auction, done paid seller. Now seller advises that u.p.s. will only ship to F.F.L. dealer. Been receiving them for years, no problem. Is this some kind of new (stupid) law? ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Comments

• ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a gun from before 1898 it does not have to according to federal law. UPS may have a stupid policy though. Good luck getting your mauser.
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in Montana; Will that help? rubenj@imine.net Also its not correct that the post office is hard to ship from or to.

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    The solution is simple. Take it to the post office and mail it.
  • charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The seller said he tried post office too, clerk said have to be F.F.L. dealer. When he said it was antique, same answer and I'm sorry!!
    edited November -1
    The clerk at the Post Office was wrong. Tell him to check the Domestic Mail Manual, Section C024.2.0. It states that antique firearms can be mailed without restriction.
  • n4thethrilln4thethrill Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he may be trying to back out of the sell ups will ship guns to your house

you can be king or street sweeper but everyone is going to dance with the reaper
  • charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think so. Tried little experiment with brother-inlaw's help who lives 250 miles away. Boxed up some fishing poles and bicycle parts. Went to 2 u.p.s. shipping centers and told them wanted to ship antique gun, both places wanted to know if i was f.f.l. dealer. When i told them no, it was SORRY!!, have to be dealer to ship. Guess what, tried 3 post offices, answer "HAVE TO BE A DEALER".
    edited November -1
    Charlie 15,

Like I said before, have the postal clerk check the Domestic Mail Manual, Section C024.2.0. Any rifle or shotgun can be mailed to an FFL holder. Any antique firearm can be mailed without restriction.

Here is a link to the USPS web site. Do a search under firearms and go to Section Co24.

http://pe.usps.gov/

Edited by - EOD Guy on 05/31/2002 10:57:19
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    I have been using UPS for some time now with very little trouble,sometimes if I get an idiot trying to qoute the law to me I get right in there face and qoute the law back.Dont say antique they have a problem with that.you could lie about contents but that would make you a democrat.If you live in northern CA close to me I would willingly accept your parcel at no charge and you pick up if you have trouble,I do have a FFL as I am a gunsmith but do not do sales or transfers.Be lucky and happy trails.
    Glyn Morgan

Always use enough firepower

Glyn
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like something's gone awry....

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • TurntableTurntable Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess you shoulda not told anybody what was in the box, you know the truth can be twisted to suit your own needs ( the govmnt does it all the time). You dont have to be a rocket scientist to know ( they) change the rules almost daily. Time to do a little rule changin yourself and go ahead and mail that baseball bat to your Nephew dude!
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    true... true....

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • IIISKAREIIKROIIIIIISKAREIIKROIII Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    true indeed

S.K.
  • yosemitesam1126yosemitesam1126 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    true indeed

S.K.

I am in Ohio, just sold a pistol (modern firearm) USPS will not accept shipment, to a dealer in Texas. I have to place a phone call tomorrow to a gentileman from USPS. As of now, it appears that FEDEX is the only way to ship. I know that we can claim that the item is "other" than a pistol, but I sure hate to stoop to their level. Anyone know how to contact the National Rifle Association??
    Thanks Sam
  • lil scoutlil scout Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This reply is to you and Yosemitesam 1126.GOOD LUCK with NRA!!!
    Take a look at my posting"NRA'S HELP????" and see what you think.
  • landtrainlandtrain Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to www.USPS.gov web site and look up Publication 52. Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable mail. Go thru the index and find Section 43. Firearms. This covers the whole gamut, If you want, Print it out. Its only 188 pages but its impressive when you lay it on the counter, flip it open to section 43 and ask to see the Postmaster. I usually insure mine at least double the replacement value then hope they do loose it.

It describes handguns, rifles and shotguns AND antique guns. It defines what a dealer is and who can send what to whom.

If you deal with firearms, its a MUST HAVE book.
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Give the BATF $30 for a C&R license. Not required for purchase of what you bought but then when your a FFL holder- could avoid sellers who want to protect their own butt by showing them something that will make them all warm inside.

*If there is one gun for every 7 people in the world, I'm saving alot of people money*