In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Instant Check? WHAT A JOKE

CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
I would like to hear from all who fall victim to this system that just don't work. I recently went to buy a rifle, put a deposit and went back 2 1?2 weeks later to find out that the (INSTANT CHECK) you pay about $5.00 for didn't come back yet. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

CHGOTHNDER

Comments

• daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Your right to own a gun has been infringed. This is what it's all about- stall you till you change your mind or just get tired of waiting. It's the "gun control" way.
    A criminal would have bought as many guns as he wanted for his freinds and himself during this time, while the law abiders are left without. You need to raise a fuss with your Reps. and keep at it!
    How hard would it be to have a pre-check done every year automaticly, then you could purchase anytime? No brains in the political arena!
    Find the gun you like from a private seller.
  • MrNathanLeeMrNathanLee Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well when i bought my rifle they said that i would have to wait about 2 days for it to go through because "i have a common name" even though they could have just checked by my dang ss# but then just for sh1ts and giggles i decided to call them the next day and they were like yeah sure it came through its all good just come in and pick it up (already paid for rifle) and well then i go in they have me signe something saying i didnt commit a felony withen the time it took to check and then they hand me rifle and i walk out. Daddo imho what you suggest is a fairly well for the lack of a better word bad idea because what if someone comits a felony that makes it illegal for them to purchase a firearm but doesnt get arrested yet but has a warrent out for arrest and decides to buy a gun...according to your sys it would all go legal and he/she would have a legally purchased firearm and now imagine what the press would make this sound like "felon buys gun legally and shoots up 3 cops ... we need more gun control"

well there are my .02

Gun control is being able to hit your target...Enemy Down
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gun control... it's not about guns, it's about control...

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daddo, I work with almost all the politicians in cook county, IL. (Rep & Dems) and I put a bug in their ear every chance I get, some of them respond favorably mostly the Reps and the Dems are harder to convince. A yearly check would not work for many reasons one of which was addressed by MrNathanLee. Secondly the instant check should work with all the money that was allocated to the program. Also a felon is more likely to buy a gun on the stret than go to a store no matter how big his balls are, just the thought of being caught will discourage that. What we need to do is what I already do, mailings, phone calls, HANDWRITTEN LETTERS (form letters go in the garbage) and Make an appointment to meet with them this scares them even more than guns do. BUT EVERYBODY HAS TO DO IT no one individual has ever changed the system all by his self.

CHGOTHNDER
    edited November -1
    No one individual has ever changed the system all by himself.... yet. That could still occur one day. We call it dictatorships.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    Ala Fidel? now theres a guy that knows all about gun control

CHGOTHNDER
  • steveamy4steveamy4 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The feds have 3 days to do the check. If you haven't been declined in three days the sale can proceed.
    Steve
  • highplainsdrifterhighplainsdrifter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i really have not had any problems with the background check system (so far)the longest i have had to wait for the "instant" check was 2 hours

HOWEVER...the owner of the shop from whom i purchase almost all of my firearms told me a couple weeks ago that i had been looked at as a "possible terrorist" or at least an "extremist" because i own several firearms of the same caliber

now THAT is scary to me

i do not understand why the brilliant people in charge of our government have not figured out that those who take the "proper" steps in purchasing a firearm are not the ones who are likely to go out and commit a crime with said weapons

am i the only one that sees this?!

"Love my country, fear my government"
    edited November -1
    Because, they're not interested in criminal control, their interested in gun control.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's not bad, I have a FFL and went to BIG5 Sporting Goods to buy a Curio and Relic and they wouldn't do a transfer. They said store policy is to make me pay for a background check AND wait ten days before I can pick it up. I told the manager he was an idiot and I would rather buy the gun from another state and get it mailed to my house. I like good 'ole Pennsylvania you can by a gun there without a NICS check because they found a loop hole. They have auctions where the guns aren't property of the auctioneer but rather a person to person sale.
    edited November -1
    Hey Nitrous, list the website here or email it to me.

CHGOTHNDER

The fences have been broken down...with the judicial gloss it has aquired--plainly is not adequate to protect the individual agenst the growing bureaucracy.

William Orville Douglas
  • ccasey612ccasey612 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tought that if it is not back in 5 days you get the gun???

If you will blame gun makers for every shooting then blame car maker for every car accident.
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    CHGTHNDR, I think Nitrouz is talking about a non-internet auction.

*If there is one gun for every 7 people in the world, I'm saving alot of people money*
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nitrouz- A lot of pennsylvanians are under the impression that for private sales, YOU MUST GO THROUGH AN FFL. If you read the actual law, it saysa all firearms transfered privately, you must go through an FFL. But if you go down a couple of paragraphs, it explains that "firearms" are defined as pistols less than some odd inches, and long guns less than some odd inches. I do not remember the exact numbers, but unless you are selling a sawed off or something simular, or just about any hand gun, you do not need an FFL to do the transaction.

"Sometimes the people have to give up some individual rights for the safety of society."
    -Bill Clinton(MTV interview)
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    If the ffl dealer has submitted your info and has gotten a delayed from batf, they (batf) have three days to respond with either a proceed or a denied. At that time no response has been given the ffl can, (if he feels fit) proceed with the sale. If he does not feel fit he can deny the sale. Walmart recently instituted there own firearms policy stating that they would not proceed with any sales if they did not have the green light from batf, irregardless of the timeframe. In fact batf encourages ffl's NOT to proceed even if they (batf) has not been able to issue a proceed after the mandated three day period. Hope this clarifies thing for you a little bit.

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!