In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Illinois handguns

stubdog69stubdog69 Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
hey what is the legal age of of purchasing a handgun in illinois? i have looked at the nra web site, atf web site and spoke with a conservation police officer and the bottom line all says 18 years old. is this right?

Comments

• gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Most shops sell longuns to 18, handguns to 21.

Larry
  • 223223 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check where you live,your commie city government might not want you to have a firearm.[;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Illinois State law says you must be 18 to buy a long gun; 21 to buy or possess a handgun.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks. Here in Ohio, you can own a handgun at 18, you just can't purchase one in a store until you are 21. And unless you know where to get it, most retail stores don't sell ammunition to those under 21. Tell me that whole system isn't the stupidest thing you ever heard.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I have one even one step more obscene. When I was under 21 I purchased .22LR ammo at Wal-mart. They asked me if the ammo was for a pistol or a rifle(the cashier had a prompt come up on her register). I told them it would work in both and they refused to sell it to me. So, I went back to sporting goods waited on a cashier there told them it was for a rifle and was on my way to the range.