In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

carrying permit arrived!!!

skiendogskiendog Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I turned 21, and applied for my carrying permit. it finally arrived!! im soooo happy.

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Lock and load, buddy! Congrats! You now own a "permission slip" that was never required by the founding fathers.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Lock and load, buddy! Congrats! You now own a "permission slip" that was never required by the founding fathers.

Spider gets it. [:)]
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

The words of a man who understands what liberty truly is.

+1[;)][:D]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skiendog
    carrying permit arrived!!!

You sent away for a copy of the 2nd amendment?!?! Well, glad to hear it, but you can get it anytime on the internet???
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    not for nothing guys. seriously. i understand and agree with the point of the 2nd ammendment. shall not be infringed and all that. but YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW in most states to get a permit to carry. bulls--t yes. the law yes. what is wrong with being happy to finally be able to carry without the worrie of getting caught and arrested? again. i agree that this is pure BS. but what are your other options?
    edited November -1
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skiendog:

I hope you understand the intent of the responding posts.

Many of us tolerate the need for a CCW permit, though we reject the concept that they are or should be required.

If you believe it necessary to carry and are prohibited by an unconstitutional law to do so absent a permit, you need to do what is necessary to protect your family and stay out of jail.

It is necessary, however, to consistently point out that this is not freedom, is not what the founders intended, and is in direct contradiction to what is written in the 2nd Amendment.

Welcome to the forum. There is much to be learned here if you keep an open mind.

All the best,

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • osburnjbosburnjb Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do believe in gun control. Does this mean that i think people don't have a right to carry guns, no. I simply believe that background checks when buying a gun is appropriate, as i don't want a convicted murderer buying such a powerful weapon. Now concealed carry permits are another issue entirely. I believe that everyone should have to take a course in the safety of guns, i did it in my middle school to get a card that says i have completed the course. This should be enough for me to carry a gun concealed. Of course, i could just walk down the street holding a gun in my hand and be perfectly fine, although i'm sure someone would tackle me or flee. Of course, if someone attacked me i would have to use my gun for defense, and if they kept coming i would have to disable them or maybe kill them. Congrats i've just ended the life of someone for no reason at all.

Those who believe that we can stop of government under the control of a tyrant who seeks to change our way of life by simply having a machine gun is deadly, and will probably be, mistaken. The military has such advanced ARMS that they are able to blow up my house from the Atlantic ocean without so much as lifting a finger. So for that reason, i believe that certain weapons, such as automatic ones or those geared for war, should be illegal to the average man.

Today, in this country at least, i have to trust those friends, neighbors, and countrymen who have put their lives on the line for my freedoms. I wholeheartedly believe that a man in the military is NOT willing to kill innocent Americans for any reason, and that they believe in the rights for us to possess and wield arms so much that they would not follow a government who seeks to change this.

Even though i sound definitive on my view, i am not. As an American i have been taught to question our government, and even though i believe that there should be gun control, I do not believe that it is constitutional. Perhaps, in many years, more people will feel like i do, but until enough states can ratify an amendment banning all arms, which i don't think even a state like california would even do such a thing, i am forced to follow the rules.

Gun control is unconstitutional. The founding fathers have stated this, and those who oppose the constitution need to think long and hard about what other rights might be taken from them because a minority of people think they are wrong.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by osburnjb
    I simply believe that background checks when buying a gun is appropriate, as i don't want a convicted murderer buying such a powerful weapon.

I never made it past this nonsense so the rest of your post became irrellevant. Here's a tiny clue....he get's it anyway...everytime. Duhhhhhh.....
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I do believe in gun control. Does this mean that i think people don't have a right to carry guns, no. I simply believe that background checks when buying a gun is appropriate, as i don't want a convicted murderer buying such a powerful weapon. Now concealed carry permits are another issue entirely. I believe that everyone should have to take a course in the safety of guns, i did it in my middle school to get a card that says i have completed the course. This should be enough for me to carry a gun concealed. Of course, i could just walk down the street holding a gun in my hand and be perfectly fine, although i'm sure someone would tackle me or flee. Of course, if someone attacked me i would have to use my gun for defense, and if they kept coming i would have to disable them or maybe kill them. Congrats i've just ended the life of someone for no reason at all.

Those who believe that we can stop of government under the control of a tyrant who seeks to change our way of life by simply having a machine gun is deadly, and will probably be, mistaken. The military has such advanced ARMS that they are able to blow up my house from the Atlantic ocean without so much as lifting a finger. So for that reason, i believe that certain weapons, such as automatic ones or those geared for war, should be illegal to the average man.

Today, in this country at least, i have to trust those friends, neighbors, and countrymen who have put their lives on the line for my freedoms. I wholeheartedly believe that a man in the military is NOT willing to kill innocent Americans for any reason, and that they believe in the rights for us to possess and wield arms so much that they would not follow a government who seeks to change this.

Even though i sound definitive on my view, i am not. As an American i have been taught to question our government, and even though i believe that there should be gun control, I do not believe that it is constitutional. Perhaps, in many years, more people will feel like i do, but until enough states can ratify an amendment banning all arms, which i don't think even a state like california would even do such a thing, i am forced to follow the rules.

Gun control is unconstitutional. The founding fathers have stated this, and those who oppose the constitution need to think long and hard about what other rights might be taken from them because a minority of people think they are wrong.
    Setting aside that you have clearly self identified as a gun-controller......were you drunk when you wrote this?

There are more contradictions with yourself than a thinking man would be able to write.

'I believe gun-control is unconstitutional, yet I support it.'

'Those who oppose the constitution need to think long and hard about what other rights might be taken from them'.

'If I walk down the street with a gun, someone will jump me and i'll have to shoot them'....Equates to, 'see, carrying guns causes societal craziness', therefore we need to control guns.

You demonstrated several things by the content of your post.

1. You are a gun-controller.

2. You have no demonstrable knowledge of the Constitution.

3. You advocate based on hyperbolic personal beliefs, rather than fact-based personal beliefs.

4. You have an inherent distrust of your fellow citizens.

5. You are willing to cede to government, the unconstitutional ability to enslave 'we the people', by relegating 'liberty's teeth' to the status of a government controlled privilege, available only to a certain, government approved and trained segment of society.

I could go on, but feel it would be pointless to do so....
    edited November -1

Wow...just wow.

osburnjb:

It is rare to read such a contorted thought process.

In general, it seems to me that your stance regarding the Constitution is:

'Some laws are unconstitutional, but that is OK because I agree with them, though it is dangerous because one unconstitutional law can become two, and I may not agree with the second one, so we need to make damn sure that we only pass unconstitutional laws with which I agree.'

Other than outlining a structure for government, the Constitution is designed to protect not the rights of the majority from the minority as you state, but the rights of the minority from the majority. This should be self-evident by how difficult it is to amend the Constitution. In this manner, the U.S. Constitution is (rightly) a decidedly un-democratic document. Thank the founders for that, as they were wise enough to recognize that pure Democracy is simply mob rule, and can be among the most oppressive forms of government.

Witness the past 8 years, and what it being attempted today. This is what happens when Presidents and Congress ignore the restraints placed upon them by the Constitution, spit in the face of the individual, and crap on the rights of the individual states.

Brad Steele
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Crack kills.
    edited November -1
    osburnjb:

A question for you:

How willing are you to discuss these issues, and how open are you to really thinking about another point of view?

As pointed out previously, there are many contradictory statements in your post, which leads one to believe you are still in the process of formulating your thinking.

In the interest of full disclosure, not so many years ago, I was fairly convinced in my belief that there was such an animal as 'reasonable gun control legislation'. After quite a bit of reflection about the relative merits on a practical basis, my eyes and mind were finally opened to the truth and the simple fact that there is no such animal, as it is specifically prohibited by the law of the land.

I have many on this forum to thank for that awakening, and I believe you, if you approach the issue honestly and openly (and can take some of the barbs slung your way) can not help but reach a similar conclusion. In short, I, and there are many here like me, who want to pay it forward by engaging folks such as yourself through informed, rational thought.

Please let me know if you are interested. Many here will engage if you are.

All the best,

Don

Brad Steele