In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATF Search and Seizure, Advice

cowboydave1965cowboydave1965 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi, I was one of the few individuals trapped by the ATF after the Big Reno gunshow, The ATF sent a twelve man swat team to my house, to detain one woman and two small children, All of my guns were confiscated, but no charges were filed in relation to the search of my home. Does anyone have any advice, or could you point me in the direction of a resource to battle with the ATF? Or any idea how long it takes to recover my property. I have already hired an attorney, but the process is very slow.

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    man, I wish I had some good advice for you but I don't. Being a person of average means I would have a very, very difficult time taking on the government. I guess we can only hope that if you are innocent then this will work itself out in your favor. Of course that won't help how the one woman and two small children were tramatized by the 12 man swat team.

I guess one answer to this unfair action is something I have advocated for years and sometimes I get called an extremist or a worry wart. That is to pool resources with other people who own guns or believe in citizen rights and try to influence the powers that be that they will be afraid to let something like this happen to honest citizens.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    You are in a tough spot.Its too early for effective action....so contact GOA...JPFO..even,bless their pointy little sold-out heads..the NRA.Ask for advise,as you did here...

If you believe you were unjustly attacked..contact your local news people..see if you can generate a human interest story.The gun show people were trying to get together an organization to combat just this sort of action...call your Reno promoter and see ahat he says...
  • cowboydave1965cowboydave1965 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently the promoter of the Big Reno gunshow cooperated with the ATF (hopefully coerced). The ATF had agents running tables, to entrap, and also they had agents patrolling the parking lot of the Reno Hilton, if they saw anyone with out-of-state plates, they set up and followed the individuals out of Nevada. Then arrests were made. There is a very interesting story on survival.com about an Idaho gun dealer that was set-up. It makes good reading, and acts as a warning.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    cowboydave9165. Well, there is where you need to start as far as getting help. Find someway to organize as many of those gun show attendees that were setup as you can and go from there. No one likes to be unfairly targeted by any government agency and with a group of "victims" that large surely you can get something done about it.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What exactly were they looking for? Why did they raid your house?

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • paulbyrdpaulbyrd Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really have any advice for you. I would just like to wish you all the luck in the world on taking on the government. I hope everything works out in your favor!!!

quote:Originally posted by cowboydave1965
    Hi, I was one of the few individuals trapped by the ATF after the Big Reno gunshow, The ATF sent a twelve man swat team to my house, to detain one woman and two small children, All of my guns were confiscated, but no charges were filed in relation to the search of my home. Does anyone have any advice, or could you point me in the direction of a resource to battle with the ATF? Or any idea how long it takes to recover my property. I have already hired an attorney, but the process is very slow.

Paul Byrd
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Did they have a search warrant? Or, did the woman & children let them in? If no charges were filed, what was the reason given for confiscating the weapons?
  • calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball i laughed my backside off when i read your response to this post. It must have hurt something awfull to refer anyone to the NRA! I think it shows what a good man you really are (no matter how much you try to make us think you're an old grouch) when you put helping someone on this site above your personal dislikes. God Bless You man.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Clamity;
    I would even give the devil his due..if he had any.The NRA could possibly give some advice..even if I didn't think they would..at least we perhaps get a report back that yet again they had turned their backs on a Second Amendment issue..

Besides..when a man is drowning..he will grasp anything thrown his way...[:D] this guy Cowboydave..needs a rope...
  • MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try and find a retired ATF agent to help you. Most of the older ones are not of lets say "The same class as the new ones"

I got ones name here in Texas who is a Judge now. I had to sick him on the police chief to sign off on a Class III rifle. The Chief thought there was no reason for people to own them. I said fine see you in court. One day later he called and said come back I'll sign it.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cowboy hasn't said exactly what it was that happened to get him intruded and seized, yet.

This is like trying to diagnose a car problem without actually seeing it.

Can't help if we don't know more.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can go to the court that issued the search warrant with the case number. Ask the criminal clerk to view the file. Unless the file is sealed they must let you view it. That file (warrant affidavit) will tell the story that the ATF Nazis told the judge that convinced him to issue the warrant. The agent who obtained the warrant was under oath. The snitches that lie more often than not are never under oath. The agents just repeat what the snitch claims and the judges automatically issue the warrant/s.

You need a top notch PI to investigate the snitch in order to neutralize and discredit his claims. Unfortunately, most defense attorneys never attempt to get the skinny on the snitch but instead force you into some bogus plea agreement.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.