In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just want to be sure

kc0jsjkc0jsj Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Ok,

I am getting into guns and I really want to know my rights (I am in the state of Missouri). I have a few questions and scenarios that I am unsure about.

First. If I were to buy a shot gun and I wanted to take it out shooting or something, would I need paperwork with the gun at all times? I know that through buying you sign some stuff (I've been through that - I just don't have the gun yet due to some repairs)

Second. Say I get pulled over in the car and have the gun laying on the seat. Now, if the cop has good eyes and sees the gun, what can he legally do? I've heard horror stories about things like this. Can he touch the gun? If not what amendment would I use to back this up?

Third. If I had a conceal carry license (which I'm going to get) and had to use my gun for protection, can I get in legal trouble?

I'm sorry if these questions are stupid at all - I just want to be 100% sure of things - seeing as certain people in charge are getting a little * about gun rights. I just want exercise my rights with firearms as best I can - while staying a law abiding citizen.

Comments

• Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kc0jsj
    Ok,

I am getting into guns and I really want to know my rights (I am in the state of Missouri). I have a few questions and scenarios that I am unsure about.

First. If I were to buy a shot gun and I wanted to take it out shooting or something, would I need paperwork with the gun at all times? I know that through buying you sign some stuff (I've been through that - I just don't have the gun yet due to some repairs)
    ope, no paperwork required once the transaction is done

Second. Say I get pulled over in the car and have the gun laying on the seat. Now, if the cop has good eyes and sees the gun, what can he legally do? I've heard horror stories about things like this. Can he touch the gun? If not what amendment would I use to back this up?

Your best bet is to have it in a case, and in the trunk if possible. If in a truck put it under the seat. it is not illegal to transport a firearm in missouri. Just be careful about crossing into illinois.

Third. If I had a conceal carry license (which I'm going to get) and had to use my gun for protection, can I get in legal trouble?

when you get your ccp they will cover all this with you

I'm sorry if these questions are stupid at all - I just want to be 100% sure of things - seeing as certain people in charge are getting a little * about gun rights. I just want exercise my rights with firearms as best I can - while staying a law abiding citizen.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is some good info here. Knowledgeable people too. Keep asking questions, use search function(above left on your screen), check the govt. website for your state.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The following link will get you started.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_mo.htm

As noted by Mr. Friendly, when you get your carry permit, ask any question that comes to mind. Keep asking until you are 100% sure of the answer. The state is putting an unconstitutional burden upon you, and you have the right to know exactly what this burden is.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to several of your city/county leo dept and see if the answers to your questions are the same ......a conscientious & concerned citizen deserves a correct & polite answer
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    go to several of your city/county leo dept and see if the answers to your questions are the same ......a conscientious & concerned citizen deserves a correct & polite answer
    That is the last thing you want to do.

When one of my friends was arrested by a local p.d. for carrying a loaded pistol in his center console, without a c.c.p. I had to appear at the pd. They wanted me up there because he had purchased the pistol from me, and demanded I give them a receipt showing the transaction.

Number one, in Missouri, you do not have to have a permit to carry a loaded firearm concealed in your vehicle.

Number two there is no "gun registration" in Missouri.

This officer argued with me to the point of getting very confrontational, and ignorant. She was insinuating threats, and that is when I called my attorney. My attorney called the Sheriff, and he called the p.d. to set them straight.

It is a sad state of being, but you are worse off as a whole, imho, asking your run of the mill officer about the laws pertaining to firearms in your area. Most of these officers do not know the law that well, and seem all to willing to enforce "laws" which do not even exist.

My advice is to research the law yourself, and if there is any question to it contact a lawyer for clarification. Relying on information from a local p.d. may get you off in a wreck, or deny you rights which you are free to enjoy
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Friendly
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    That is the last thing you want to do.

When one of my friends was arrested by a local p.d. for carrying a loaded pistol in his center console, without a c.c.p. I had to appear at the pd. They wanted me up there because he had purchased the pistol from me, and demanded I give them a receipt showing the transaction.

Number one, in Missouri, you do not have to have a permit to carry a loaded firearm concealed in your vehicle.

Number two there is no "gun registration" in Missouri.

This officer argued with me to the point of getting very confrontational, and ignorant. She was insinuating threats, and that is when I called my attorney. My attorney called the Sheriff, and he called the p.d. to set them straight.

It is a sad state of being, but you are worse off as a whole, imho, asking your run of the mill officer about the laws pertaining to firearms in your area. Most of these officers do not know the law that well, and seem all to willing to enforce "laws" which do not even exist.

My advice is to research the law yourself, and if there is any question to it contact a lawyer for clarification. Relying on information from a local p.d. may get you off in a wreck, or deny you rights which you are free to enjoy

+1 to this.....find out what is lawful then correct the 90 % of cops who are unsure, An attorney is a good Idea, But its a damn shame its come to this in America[V] Theres a storm a brewin.