In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Come Get Me NRA Bashers!!!!!

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Hehehehe! Suckered you in didn't I! Now just calm down and relax. Take a deep breath, and put down the clubs, ropes and pitchforks. I am not going to rile anyone up by speaking up for the NRA. In fact I am going to urge you NRA bashers to join forces and take some real world, concrete actions that might cause the NRA some discomfort.

Instead of just preaching and arguing back and forth about the NRA, why don't you anti-NRA people try to make some actual and constructive changes. For example, how about getting GB.com owners to post a logo of GOA (and maybe even JPFO and SAF) on their website home page? Along with a note urging gun owners to pick one of those organizations and join and support it. For years there has been only the NRA logo on the GB.com website and maybe it is time to add some competition. The other groups can use the help promoting them and maybe if the NRA starts to notice that support, maybe they will become more responsive to their members and to the 2A.

In addition, there are several organizations that offer free or reduced NRA membership fees if you purchase one of their products. Taurus offers a free NRA membership for each firearm purchase. MIke Dillon of Dillon reloading equipment offers a $10.00 off coupon towards a NRA membership in each of his monthly BLUE PRESS catalogs. How about all you NRA bashers getting up a petetion and tell Taurus and MIke Dillon and GB.com owners that, while you respect their decision to support the NRA, as long-term gun owners you have come to believe that the NRA does not support gun rights to the extent you think they should. Mention that there are other, smaller, weaker and underfunded gun rights organizations other there that are desperate for members and funds and they deserve to have some success. Also mention that perhaps some seriuous competition might be good for the NRA just as competition is good for consumers of other goods and products.

If you needed more extensive and detailed reasons to offer Taurus, Dillons and GB.com, well you have all that information right here on the Gun rights forum. Pickenup (thanks for that Pickenup. A time consuming but good job well done) over the years have posted a tremendous amount of facts, figures, names, dates, places, etc. that you could edit down to perhaps one page to present your reasons for seeking support for other pro-gun rights organizations than just the NRA.

Frankly, if the GOA was as large, well known, powerfully and well connected as the NRA, I probably would throw all my support to GOA, SAF, or even the JPFO. And for those here who want to see the demise of the NRA, one way to make that happen is to strengthen and grow their competitors.

So, whadda think guys? Are you going to go for it or just contine to play "whack the fox?"

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    TR,
    A very good suggestion. I will follow theough with it and make those suggestions. The only suggestion I won't follow is giving the NRA anymore of my money in any way or form.

Good work at making progress.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Thank you freemind. This could work and would be a case of putting the anti-NRA feelings/energy to possibley a good and constructive use.

And I have no doubt but what the NRA could use some stiff competition from other pro-gun rights groups.
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR,

I stand corrected on you being "too" stubborn![B)]

Playing "whack the fox" is still fun though![:D]JK

Like I mentioned in the original forum, I don't necessarily want to see the demise of the NRA, but I do believe that it's representation needs some SERIOUS restructuring!
    edited November -1
    Yep, for a long time "Whack the Fox" has been the most popular game around these parts.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'll be.........[:0]

Can't play "whack the fox" on this one.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow... I should have thought of something like that. Nothing to whack the fox about here. [:D]
    edited November -1
    For everyone who likes the idea.......make it so.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Now this is the fox from 5 years ago! Welcome back you crusty old codger![:D]
    edited November -1
    Well, fox, I have always kept my bashing of you to a minimum. I have always been convinced that you mean well, even if I felt you were wrong on most of your compromise stances. Looks like we are having a positive effect on you.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Now this is the fox from 5 years ago! Welcome back you crusty old codger![:D]

Roger that[8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    Well, fox, I have always kept my bashing of you to a minimum. I have always been convinced that you mean well, even if I felt you were wrong on most of your compromise stances. Looks like we are having a positive effect on you.[;)]

You have always been polite and nice about our disagreements. Course most everyone here on this side of the forum have been pretty nice. But over on the General Discussion side they have often been pretty nasty.
  • twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for goa. sent some money. lets see what they can do
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to sound stupid or uninformed, but I probably subscribe to and thouroughly read more gun magazines than most gun nuts. Where do you find adds and or articles about the GOA, SAF, and JPFO? If we are to win the 2nd ammendment fight, it seems that the more orginazations, the better. I saw a Wall Street Journal article some time back that made it clear that the politicans were afraid of the NRA. No mention of these other orginizations. The NRA is no more perfect than any group or individual.The one thing I fear the most is that divided we will fall. I would definately consider supporting additional groups if there was more info available.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    I hate to sound stupid or uninformed, but I probably subscribe to and thouroughly read more gun magazines than most gun nuts. Where do you find adds and or articles about the GOA, SAF, and JPFO? If we are to win the 2nd ammendment fight, it seems that the more orginazations, the better. I saw a Wall Street Journal article some time back that made it clear that the politicans were afraid of the NRA. No mention of these other orginizations. The NRA is no more perfect than any group or individual.The one thing I fear the most is that divided we will fall. I would definately consider supporting additional groups if there was more info available.

A reasonable and fair question. I suspect someone will be along shortly to answer it for you.

Part of the answer is that it is bad for the consumer/citizen to have only one political party or only one telephone company to chose from in regards to meeting their needs. So it makes sense to me to perhaps have at least two large, powerful and effective national gun rights organizations. After all, if it wasn't for competetion in the market place, we would all still be driving Model A fords and talking on a black, rotary telephone attached to the wall.

While I support the NRA, it appears to me the NRA needs some serious competetion for the loyalty of gunowners. If it had that competetion, perhaps it would pay more attention to its members.

BTW, one reason I still have suppport for the NRA is because, frankly, it can do more to effect the course of gun rights by ACCIDENT more so than the other smaller, weaker pro-gun rights groups can do on purpose.

JMHO
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by twin60s
    +1 for goa. sent some money. lets see what they can do

Well, yeah, send some money in order to get on their membership list. But then respond to GOA when they ask you to write, email and call your political representatives to lobby for gun rights.
    edited November -1

GOA, or Gun Owners of America is quite simply the best pro-gun lobby. They are no-compromise, and never give up any ground. http://gunowners.org

The JPFO is Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership. You don't have to be Jewish to join. They don't compromise, but they aren't a lobby. They are an educational organization.

The Second Amendment Foundation is another eductaion organization, but is seems to me that they may compromise somewhat.

GOA is my organization of choice, but I plan on joining the JPFO as well.
    edited November -1
    Tried to access gunowners.org. Came up page not available. Got a better web site address?
    edited November -1
    Tried to access gunowners.org. Came up page not available. Got a better web site address?

Fixed the link. Shoulda tested it right away. Try it again. [:)]
  • nobirdnobird Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a newcomer to the forums. I am not a newcomer to gun ownership. I have owned firearms all my life. I have been a member of the NRA. I have never been asked to consider membership to any other pro gun organization. I make almost every gun show in the DFW area. Yet I have never heard of any of the organizations mentioned above. How can I help if I never hear about them.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been looking for a good one to join.
    The ISRA(Illinois State Rifle Association)seems too lame, though perfect for youth shooting ect they just don't seem to have much/any legislative ambition. And we sure need it here to combat the democraps.
    edited November -1
    Have to disagree on the ISRA. Been a member for a few years. Sometimes a little slow to let you know what is going on but they do try. Never always agree with anyone but they help. Considering the Democratic dominance in Chicago, it is amazing it isn't worse here. I am a firm beleiver that everyone should support their state orginizations. I am personaly looking in to the GOA right now. A lot of on line types bash the NRA. Recently checked out the GOA website. Don't see much about them in the many gun publications I get. Would be willing to support another group if they mostly make sense to me
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox
    Nice to see you are still trying.

Hi Guys

If you all become reloaders you could save enough to join all of the groups.

Just think about it, GOA = 4 million members / JPFO = 4 million member / NRA = 4 million member ect , ect .

Better yet all gun owners 80 million members in all of the groups.

The politician would think twice before they voted .

Tune it to Cam & co on nra-news.com and talkamerica and learn whats going on , it will help you see the light.

It's nice to see all of the new posters here and all of the old timers that are still around .

I like the new format and the fact that the posters seam not to be so long winded.

Short and sweet post, this is better.

I have been working long hours and unable to check in here for awhile.

Spread the word and train the young. We will need all we can get on the same side , the fight has just began .

A well armed society is the best form of homeland security.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.
  • Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootstright
    tr fox
    Nice to see you are still trying.

Hi Guys

If you all become reloaders you could save enough to join all of the groups....
    Oh, lessee.

I'm a FULLY PAID LIFE MEMBER of the NRA... but since they already have my money and keep stabing me in the back,

ALL OF MY "Political" money goes to GOA, JPFO and SAF - not the NRA.

So, as for your suggestion... been there, done that.