In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What happens if you are denied a gun purchase?

BorgCubeBorgCube Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
Let's say for the last 20 years I was legally able to buy a gun. No problems with the gun check, no convictions or any flags. Then one night I get in trouble with the law and my future purchases are flagged. I understand I may not be able to purchase any new weapons but what about my weapons already purchased?

"I can think of dozens of reasons not to have hi-cap mags, but it's the one reason I can't think of that I need them!"

Comments

• Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Felons can not possess any firearms regulated by the Government, (having a serial number).

Felons may possess home made firearms.
    Ever hear of a 80% AR receiver? Why do they cost twice as much as a fully machined one?

Do not grind serial numbers off of firearms. They can still be seen by x-ray in the metal.

Must have the receiver completely home made.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good friend of mine has recently had a restraining order slapped on him because a judge acted de facto to create reason and purpose for this law. The sheriff came to his door 3 days later asking for his guns, and did so with a warrant signed by the judge....

...but all the guns were gone!!!! Take that M0ther F****rs!! I can't stand thieves... especially the kind that can do so with the blessing of the system.

Moral: Don't steal. The government doesn't like competition.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I like that gunphreak. The "authorities" come for the "evil" guns, but the cupboard is bare!!!

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • BorgCubeBorgCube Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A restraining order is not a conviction of anything. They can still come and take your guns? Is it only good as long as the restraining order.

Also, is it only felony convictions or just felony charges that red flag your purchase?

"I can think of dozens of reasons not to have hi-cap mags, but it's the one reason I can't think of that I need them!"
    edited November -1
    often a restraining order is "evidence" that you are a dangerous person. So in the name of protecting the public and the police, some (maybe most)judges will decide to remove all firearms from your possession. Even if everything is finally cleared up you may have a hard time recovering your guns. Many law enforcement agencies hate the idea of physically handing over guns (for whatever reason) to "common" citizens. And they can sometimes find a way to have misplaced the guns or have already destroyed them, etc. etc. Anytime people in power can claim they were acting only for public safety they can almost get away with murder. This is the situation many of us do not like to live under.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out a form 4473 sometime. It asks if you have had a restraining order placed on you or if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crimes involving things that may be cause for a restraining order, like domestic violence or stalking or the like.

But my buddy did nothing wrong. I'm glad he took my advice. And don't look at me, I don't have a single one of his weapons, and I don't know who does have them. (insert gunphreak flipping the bird here).

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to be convicted of a felony. (there are several ways to be found guilty) If you have only been "charged" with a felony, it should not stop you from being able to purchase a firearm. If the case is pending, that might be different, I do not know. They do want to know the "disposition" of any charges filed against you.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    gunphreak: is case I every face a similar problem please tell me if the law took the word of your friend about there being no guns in the house. Or did they search the house? And if they searched, how thourgly did they search and did they search outside the house or any sheds, his parked car, etc. I am just curious.

• IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is amazing how our government has influenzed minds. You think you must be CONVICTED to lose your rights??? You can be "charged" and lose every right you have!!! What freaking world are you living in??? Pickenup??????????

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791. ME 8:276
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER

It is amazing how our government has influenzed minds. You think you must be CONVICTED to lose your rights??? You can be "charged" and lose every right you have!!! What freaking world are you living in??? Pickenup??????????
    IAMAHUSKER,
    I am not sure why I am bothering to answer someone so RUDE. But I will....once.

I am speaking from "personal experience" this is not second hand info. This is FACT.

I was "CHARGED" with a felony, years and years ago. The charges ended up being dropped.

When I applied for my FFL, I was denied at first. I had to go to the courthouse and get a copy of the "disposition" of the case and send it in to them. They issued me an FFL.

When I first tried to purchase a firearm (under the new background check) I was denied the first time. I had to go to the courthouse and get a copy of the "disposition" of the case and send it in to them. They changed the denial to accepted. I have the gun.

When I first went for my CCW, the investigating officer had to have me clarify my record for him also. I have my CCW.

Yes, it was a hassle each and every time. Some people would give up, I did not. Because I was not CONVICTED of any crime, they COULD NOT STOP me from obtaining any of these, even though they tried.

Now state your "personal" facts.
    Put up, or SHUT UP.

The gene pool needs chlorine.