In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Joining the Military

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, Pickenup, I understand if you wanna pull this thread because "Gun Rights" may not be the best place for it, but this is where my friends are and I appreciate all your opinions. Bear with me all, as this may be little more than just therapy for me...

I'm 29 years old, I will be 30 in 4 months. I consider myself patriotic, but the past couple years I have felt deep regret for not joining the military. When I watch the news and see men getting killed and wounded that were born when I was in junior high, I think to myself, "I should be there."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a war monger and I don't have a death wish. I just really feel compelled to serve. I tried to get into the Air Force Academy in high school, but had really no chance from the start. I went to a college that didn't have a ROTC program. I had an opportunity to join up out of college, but I chose to chase the tech boom instead. I have been employed full-time since then.

I often think about joining the Guard or Reserve, but there is no way I could get 6-months off for training without quiting my job. Air Force basic is the shortest (8-weeks) plus there is a 12-20 week MOS training afterward. If I want to go to OCS then it would be even longer. But I still entertain these thoughts. Also, I am now married and own a home, so this would put a great hardship on my wife. But 10 years from now, if I have kids, I don't want to be the daddy that shirked his duty during a time of war. My dad didn't serve in Vietnam because he was married with a kid by March of '63, but I don't have any kids to keep me on the homefront.

I guess what I am asking is:
1. Do any of you that also have not served feel these same compulsions?
2. Those of you that did not serve and are now too old, do you regret that you didn't serve?
3. Those of you vets that did serve, do you resent us able bodied men that decided to stay on the homefront?
4. Would you guys even want to serve in today's military, given the restraints on use of force, the intrusion of political correctness, the misappropriation of resources, the political manuevering within the command structure, etc.?

Thanks,
Wolf

wwsm.GIF
MOLON LABE

The Second Amendment begins when the First Amendment ends.

Comments

• KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have nothing but respect for those who have served in our military, when I was younger I gave serious thought to serving, I chose to go into the private sector. There are times when I think maybe I should have signed up, but I don't feel that I have neglected any duty by not signing up. The only way one should feel bad about not serving is if there was A draft, and one dodged it. Being 30 years old, you probally are to set in your ways now to have A DI in your face telling you how to do things. Don't feel bad about. It takes all kinds, and there is nothing dishonarable about not signing up.

Traveling from the west, unto the east. Insearch of that which was lost, but with my endavors, and his assistance, I am hopeful, of finding.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I am 36 heading for 37. Served active duty USMC 87-93 active reserve until 95. I wish I could serve again, and would be if not for the wife and kids.

I harbor no ill will toward those who did not serve unless they ducked their obligation.

When the meekest of men raise their fist at you in defiance, you have lost. It is just a matter then of admitting it to yourself.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Was very young...and very dumb when I voluntered.
    Gonna "Fight for my country"...gung ho stuff.

A real eye-opener..the day I realized that criminals come with three=piece suits...and they were willing to kill off a generation of young men for....WHAT ?..Personal power, I guess...American freedom had nothing to do with it....and I believe that about todays exercise.

Want to learn a trade that may come in handy soon ? Join.

Worried about being 'patriotic' ? Learn about the Constitution, Bill of rights, and the abuse of those documents by the soiled doves in power...and you will advance the cause of freedom by multitudes over those blindly following orders....
  • Bravo 13Bravo 13 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't feel bad "WoundedWolf".I joined the Army right out of High School. @ that time all we (the Govt). had going on was retaking over Grenada.No,I did'nt see combat as I was a 19K-M1 Abrams tanker & they did'nt need any tankers to invade Grenada!I was busy learning how to engage & kill "The Threat"-code words for Soviet Bloc forces.I was with Bravo Co. 1/64 Armor 3rd ID Harvey Barracks,Kitzigen Germany.I understand none of 3rd ID is in Germany anymore.I hear they are now stationed in Ft.Polk,LA & Ft.Stewert,GA.I'm 43yrs old & could'nt join my old unit even if wanted to.I hear the "Rock of the Marne"division is in Iraq on their 3rd tour.I do feel for the men & women who are in Iraq & support them 1000%.When your're in the military you don't have the option of agreeing or disagreeing orders,only following them!It's up to us on the Homefront to be watchful & defend,if needed,against terror & tyranny.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hold no resentment to those who have not served

For me, if I didn't join up, I would have regretted it the rest of my life. Sometimes I find myself wanting to go back

BTW, two of the best Marines I ever had the pleasure to work with joined up in their late twenties.

This is a big decision, and not one to be taken lightly....talk to you friends and family (especially your wife) and follow your heart

animated_usa_flag.gifanimated_rebel_flag.gif

Molon Labe
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We all wish we had done something different at some point in our lives. At the age of 30, you probably could join one of the branches, and you very well might be successful in a military career. There are a few reasons I wouldn't recommend it. You have already heard one. You'll have some kid five years younger than you with eight years service behind him getting in your face screaming about something you know makes no sense at all. All branches of the service prefer young recruits for a reason. They are easier to mold into what they need. The older guys have a tendency to think. Most things in Boot Camp really do have a reason, but it's usually not apparent to the Boot at the time. Another reason is simply money. You'll be surprised and amazed at how hard it is to live from payday to payday on junior enlisted pay, especially after drawing a real paycheck for a few years. It will be very hard on your wife, maybe harder than you suspect. She won't be thrilled with deployments either. Especially on her birthday and holidays. The first nine years I was in the Navy I was either underway, overseas, or had the Duty every Christmas. I'm not going to go so far as to say there is service comparable to military service, but military service isn't for everyone. Some folks join, some folks don't. You just happen to be one of the ones who didn't. Somebody has to pay taxes. Either way you decide, GOOD LUCK.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negative to all that apply. I agree with most, if you dodged an obligation then yeah you should feel like a little turd pile. If however, all you did was to seek other avenues then no, you should not feel any regrets other than maybe those personal to you and your successes and or failures. The military is not for everyone and I am one of those. I abhor authority and would probably be dishonorably discharged for beating my drill sergeant to near death. The military is fantastic for many young men and a very few women, what these kids are given can't be learned on today's streets.

WW, the fact that you even asked the questions tells me that your head and heart are in the right places. Worry not, for the best men and women for the job, are on the job. People like myself give the military a bad name, we tend to disrupt the nature in which processes are carried out. It's all about authority, I don't go for it one iota. WW, you're a good man and the world would be a better place if you decided to bring a child into it.

OK, how 'bout dem BEARS! Whew, it was gettin' a lil' damp in here. Don't sweat it dude, it's all good.
    -comengetit

upsdFlag.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:WW, you're a good man and the world would be a better place if you decided to bring a child into it.

Wow, I think that is about the highest compliment I have ever been given. Not sure how to respond, I guess THANKS! [8D]

Nice to see you posting again, brother. I hope your break was peaceful and relaxing.

-Wolf

wwsm.GIF
    MOLON LABE

The Second Amendment begins when the First Amendment ends.