In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another Cheap and Easy Way To........

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
(He He) I KNEW that "cheap and easy" term would draw you Gun Rights cheap skate, tighwads to this topic. (just kidding, I know you're not really cheap). But anyway here is yet another cheap and easy way to help gun rights.

Someone on the general discussion form posted about getting a good deal on shooter grade SKS made in Yugosolvia for only $89.95 which included shipping from www.aimsurplus.com. With the free shipping this is like buying the rifle for only $69.95 so I natuarally bought one (because I truly AM a tightwad, cheapskate). And it turned out to be a really good deal which I started talking about at work. By doing this I influenced two other guys to also buy and SKS from aimsurplus. Now both of these guys already own pistols but now they both own a semiauto rifle so the way I helped gunrights is that I added two more owners of a semiauto rifle to the roster of people who will be likely to resist any efforts to try and outlaw such rifles. This might not seem like much, but it is at least something and much better than nothing. And it was fun and cost me nothing.

Anyone else got any cheap and easy ideas on helping gun rights that I might want to try?

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.

Comments

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I resemble that remark[}:)]I am cheap....[:D].Anyhow,good job fox! @ more,if we could all add 2 more this year,that would be great.That and get the ones that do not involve themselves moving.By the way How did you like that SKS? I had been thinking of getting another,but just wondered how they truely were.....
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    longhunter: it is a areally neat and cool rifle and a tremendous buy for the money. Total cost to me, puchase, free shipping and my local FFL holder $15.00 paperwork charge was only $105.00. You can barely buy a used .22 rifle for that price! Now I did have a he!! of a time getting all that storage cosmoline off, but I know how to do it now (if needed, ask how). And I will admit I haven't shot it yet, think I am going to my gunclub range in an hour or so (it is 10:10 AM 12-19-03 here in Olathe, KS) and I hope it shoots as well as it looks. I will keep yo posted as I have never shot an SKS before and it sure operates on a different principle that most western world semi-auto rifles.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
    edited November -1
    OK, just got back from the range and that SKS is really, really fun to shoot. Oh, I don't mean I likeit better than my AR-15 or Ruger mini 14. I just mean for a dirt cheap rifle that shoots dirt cheap 7.62x39 Wolf ammo, it was just a whole lot of fun at a very, very low price. I thinnk I will buy another one since they are so cheap ($89.95 with shipping included) that I can put one aside just for parts. Although I have been told that the SKS never needs new parts.

edited November -1
    They are hard to beat fox.I've owned mine for years and it was a bring back.It had allready been thru he**,and I have not been real nice with it.Never had occasion to have to fix anything on it.Mine has the pin and maintenece kit in the stock,did yours come that way?I guess from what I am told we should have a broken shell extractor around around as they I guess r impossible to remove without one.Or so I am told.I just might order one but I REALLY wanted an AK....still do.[:(]
    edited November -1
    At one time I wanted an AK-47 also, but don't think I need one now that I have my SKS. Heck, I own one and have two onn order and the grand total cost for all three is less than the cost of one AK. SKS & AK both shoot the same dirt cheap ammo. Stripper clips for the SKS are about 30 cents each as compared to a minimum of $10.00 each for the AK mags. The SKS bolt locks open after last round and ready for reload where the AK doesn't. And if you take the SKS hunting or to the range people don't look at you like you are some kind of gun extremest as with the military looking AK so I am guessing that as new and more restrictive gun laws are passed (I hope none are) I will have less trouble owning and keeping my SKS than if I had an AK.

edited November -1
    You make all kinds of sense fox......but its an AK.....they are fun too!course for me its pro.just cause they really do not want us to have it...no wait that can't be it...[:D]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are fun to shoot aren't they. When I first got mine, (years ago) I also got one for my brother. We went to a valley I know of, and made a day of it. I wanted to have a little fun so I took mine in one hand and his in the other, simultaneously blasted away at the targets. He thought that was great and wanted to try it. It was funny at the time because, he was not experienced with that style of shooting, and ended up going backward as he was shooting. I had to keep backing up to keep him from getting behind me, as he shot. We both had a good laugh. He did try it again, and for the most part, held his ground. (for reasons only he know) I have not talked to him in over 12 years. I wonder if he still has it, AND the case of steel core ammo I got for it at the time? Hmmm.....

I call an SKS a "fun gun" that can be lethal if necessary. Enjoy yours.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    pickenup: thanks for that story. It gave me a needed chuckle. At $89.95 for the SKS packed for storage in cosmoline, and $49.00 for 640 rounds of 7.62x39 Wolf ammo packed in a sealed "tuna" can. IF a person were so inclined (hey, don't look at me, I'm just theorizing here!) for only about $150.00 you would have all you need to give it all a decent "burial" somewhere off your property in the case of urgent future need.