In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

So, how exactly do we go about it?

mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
There is so much here that I agree with. I would quote so many of you, but it would take too much time. Bottom line is how do we go about fighting all the stupid, non-constructive (or actually destructive) gun laws in a manner that will be effective? I don't like it, but I have yet to get involved. Probably the same as a lot of other people. So I think: You have leaders and then you have followers. You must have a strong lobby organization that will make as much noise as the self-righteous, liberal, do-gooder, busy-bodies that apparently have nothing else to do except make enough noise and get their way. (I say to them..."Get a job.")

But seriously, I work for MCI and the battles between the Long Distance companies and the local Bells has been fierce and competitive, not unlike these issues. MCI is constantly sending their employees pre-written letters (emails) and they ask us to send them to our congressman. They give all the details for addressing by what state you live in. Please keep in mind, this is not spam. These are ligitimate communications from individuals that are obviously kept track of by the lobbyists so they can present numbers to support their position.

I don't know where else to go with this except to say that there is power in numbers. How do we get the support from the people who believe as we do, but don't have time for demonstrations, and don't believe in radicalism?

I'm new and unversed in the debate, but I believe. Educate me. This is probably not a new idea.

Comments

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    For those of us who do not have time to demonstrate because we are busy footing the welfare tab for those who do have time for such things, all we can do is vote, harass our elected officials, financially support anybody but the NRA, and try to convince those around us to change their position.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I agree...The GOA is a group that in my opinion deserves our support at least thus far.They are the ones that keep a lot of us informed,and supply the email letters,and printable ones also that we send to the reps that we allready have.The more pressure on them ,the more they will see some things our way.They understand the numbers..so we need to give em LOTS of numbers.That helps things in the now.As far as gettibg a political party up and running...whew!thats work and time,and money.I like Libertarian because it has some numbers allready.They have however made themselves so different that I wonder if we can convert enough to be effective?Face it,we are NOT going to agree on ALL things ALL of the time.The perfect Party will never exist....That said,the unregistered,uninterested,non-participating voters outnumber the regulars by such a margin as to stagger the imagination.We need them.Its HOW to get them involved,what do we need to do TO get them involved,TO be interested,To care......If anyone can supply links to party platforms here would be a good place to post them.It would give us a chance to compare a few,discuss them and so on.
  • mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks longhunter...looking at GOA web site now. Anybody that is not up on the issues we are dealing with, just read this:

http://www.gunowners.org/108anatb.htm
    edited November -1
    Its a pretty scarey outlook isn't it?
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Manderson: Welcome to those of us who have a healthy suspicion of all our governments. Not only fed, but state, county and city. I think most of us believe in peaceful changes and transitions in govt., laws, govt. policy, etc. and few of us want to upset the apple cart just because we found some rotten apples. But even with all that, my personal feeling is that it is irresponsible for any American who choses to not be suspicious of govt. All govt. is run by people. And look at the people around you for an example of what the same kind of people who are running our governments. Look at your close and distant relatives, your neighbors, co-workers, business owners, etc., etc. Many of those people have faults and weaknesses. But these people are the same people who run government. Sometimes we get excellent government but sometimes we don't. And since a lot of government is done out of our sight, usually we don't even know we citizens are being lied to, robbed, cheated and having the rights that should belong to the citizens being stolen. I am happy I live in America, but the only way we can keep America a great place to live is if we are always suspicous of all govt.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
    edited November -1
    Fox,nice post........I agree it is our DUTY to be suspicious of government.That they should pass the test would be the goal,but we know where that would go don't we? And so we are suspicous and worse completly untrusting.......and we all know that quote I hope,about trust and government?