In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mixing Pre-Ban and Post-Ban

robert_nicholsrobert_nichols Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I have two Federal legal questions related to my Post-Ban Colt MT6601 Match Target HBAR rifle bought new in 1997. This rifle has a 20" barrel and a target crowned but otherwise straight plain muzzle with no threads, no flash hider, no muzzle brake, etc. I live on Maryland's rural Eastern Shore, across the Chesapeake Bay from Washington DC and most of the legal foolishness. Now that the Clinton assault weapons ban has expired:

1) Is it legal to thread the end of the this rifle's barrel and install a standard M-4 style flash hider?

2) Is it legal to install a Pre-Ban style complete upper on my Post-Ban lower receiver?

I'd like some extra protection for the muzzle crown, and improving the looks of the rifle would be nice, but I also want to do the right thing, and avoid any possibility of getting a bad rap or creating any negative PR for illegally modifying an assault rifle.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the Clinton ban expired there is no "federal" limitations on what you can do with your AR. (short of full auto)

There is NO SUCH THING as "pre or post" ban anymore.
    Legally speaking (federally) it is as if the ban never existed.

Local/state rules MAY limit you.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee, since there are no more post ban rifles, maybe if the ban does not get reinacted, the post ban guns may be collectble and worth more than the pre ban?
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Since the Clinton ban expired there is no "federal" limitations on what you can do with your AR. (short of full auto)

Oh please be careful with that statement. There are plenty of BATF regulations that you need to watch out for; a barrel less than 16" is one that I think of first.

The things you want to change are just fine, but be careful in changing your rifle's configuration not to violate federal law. Its all fun and games until somebody ignorantly losses his freedoms!
    [;)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman

Oh please be careful with that statement. There are plenty of BATF regulations that you need to watch out for; a barrel less than 16" is one that I think of first.

The things you want to change are just fine, but be careful in changing your rifle's configuration not to violate federal law. Its all fun and games until somebody ignorantly losses his freedoms!
    [;)]
    He already stated that he wanted to thread his "20 inch" barrel. Didn't see much need to mention the short barrel rule.

His question concerned "pre" and "post" ban configuration. Since "legally" there ain't no such critter, any modification that was illegal before the ban, would be illegal now that the ban has expired. Like you said, shorter than 16", and my reference to full auto, I will now include adding a suppressor to it, can you think of anything else?
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman

[;)]
    He already stated that he wanted to thread his "20 inch" barrel. Didn't see much need to mention the short barrel rule.

His question concerned "pre" and "post" ban configuration. Since "legally" there ain't no such critter, any modification that was illegal before the ban, would be illegal now that the ban has expired. Like you said, shorter than 16", and my reference to full auto, I will now include adding a suppressor to it, can you think of anything else?

Nope ... I think you got it covered! [;)]
  • IncarcerationFacilitatorIncarcerationFacilitator Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Gee, since there are no more post ban rifles, maybe if the ban does not get reinacted, the post ban guns may be collectble and worth more than the pre ban?

If there ever is a new AWB passed, then today's "post-ban" guns will likely become tomorrow's "pre-ban" guns, and worth more $$$ than brand new neutered guns. I live in a AWB state, so we in CT and several other states will always have pre-ban and post-ban status (at a state level).
    It's great (sarcasm implied)....
    Colt AR15 = BANNED [}:)]
    Any non-Colt AR15 (pre-94) = just fine [:)]
    Select fire = BANNED [}:)]
    Full auto only = just fine [:)]