In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2nd Amendment

geekofalltradesgeekofalltrades Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I grew up in a VERY liberal, anti gun household and took that into my life and accept that as correct. But since the news surrounding people in DC wanting to carry weapons for personal protection, I've given the whole thing a fresh look. So I started at the source. the 2nd amendment, while I think it's actually saying 2 distinct things, I do believe that it does give every citizen in the US the right to keep and bare arms.

I look forward to all conversations and I can promise I will put my 2 cents in when I can and will always be respectful.

Regards,
M

Comments

• geekofalltradesgeekofalltrades Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What, specifcaly has Pres. Trump enacted reguarding the 2nd amendment?
    edited November -1
    Why does "the right to bear arms" apply only to rifles and handguns? What about mortars, rockets and howitzers? What about grenades and other explosives? Don't we all need these to protect us from criminals and the government? Are these weapons not arms?
    edited November -1
    All that I know is that I have a large TATTOO of the whole second ammendment on the back of my leg that will be there until the day I die. Anyone can read it and often they stop me and do. I am just doing my part to remind everyone of our rights. If it is in their face they will know that we are out there in support of our rights in which I am will to die to keep. As long as they take my leg to the taxidemist for future referance. Thank you!!!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The real question. which will define your belief and understanding of Amendment II, is "do you believe that Amendment II is an absolute restriction on government from involving itself, in any way, with a citizens right to keep and bear arms"?
    edited November -1
    I just went back and re-read the amendment, and it clearly states that the right shall not be infringed.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geekofalltrades
    I just went back and re-read the amendment, and it clearly states that the right shall not be infringed.
    Yes it does. Welcome to the forum.[:)]
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    You have come to a conclusion that eludes otherwise intelligent people all across this country.
    Those people include presidents, NRA officials, politicians of every stripe, and most of the Supreme Court.

Congratulations...you have demonstrated that your intelligence is far superior then 95 percent of your fellow man.

The only fault I can find ..while personal protection is nice ..the REASON for the Second Amendment is `the protection of a free state' ..generally taken to be a warning to overbearing government...
    "Obey the Constitution...or ELSE"...
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geekofalltrades

Congratulations!

In just a few short moments, you have discovered what many on this forum still don't get, even after years of reasoning, educating, and oftentimes browbeating.

You're very astute.[;)][:D]
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the jungle, the natives are restless. You perception is dead on!

Lance
  • Doug the MugDoug the Mug Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our founding fathers were all well educated men who were it tune with the history of their European heritage with all of its wars and power struggles in which the common mans welfare always came in second place behind the royalty and land owning aristocracy. They were aware of their present and ahead of their time in their thinking, and realized that kings wielded their absolute power through the use of a standing army. If every common man had access to weapons, it would be extremely hard for a despot to arise and sieze control of the new type of government they proposed. Of course in doing so they put their very lives, property, and fortunes at risk, should they fail they certainly would be hanged as traitors to the king, their property seized, and their families left destitute. They took a hell of a chance on behalf of their generation and future generations, and I think that we all owe them a big debt, payable by makeing sure the principles they founded for us aren't undone by present day fools who often have alternative and self serving motives. Doug the Mug
  • miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are of correct understanding.
    So simple yet so many who can not or will not accept the clearness of those Words.
    Welcome [;)]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug the Mug
    Our founding fathers were all well educated men who were it tune with the history of their European heritage with all of its wars and power struggles in which the common mans welfare always came in second place behind the royalty and land owning aristocracy. They were aware of their present and ahead of their time in their thinking, and realized that kings wielded their absolute power through the use of a standing army. If every common man had access to weapons, it would be extremely hard for a despot to arise and sieze control of the new type of government they proposed. Of course in doing so they put their very lives, property, and fortunes at risk, should they fail they certainly would be hanged as traitors to the king, their property seized, and their families left destitute. They took a hell of a chance on behalf of their generation and future generations, and I think that we all owe them a big debt, payable by makeing sure the principles they founded for us aren't undone by present day fools who often have alternative and self serving motives. Doug the Mug

Very well said. Welcome.