In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

You NRA Bashers Can Gloat Now

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Yep, you NRA bashers will get a real gloat out of this one. And you have worked hard for it so you deserve that gloat.

For months I have been posting about how the NRA is one of only a few organizations that will be able to possibly save our gun rights. And I took a lot of anger and some insults for doing it. Some people got mad because they felt like I was trying to wear them down about their constant complaining about the NRA. But in truth, it was the NRA complaininers wearing me down. In fact I give up.

One sign of me giving up is that my family was recently asked by Randy Clark, Northeastern Marketing Rep. for the NRA, to help out as volunteers at the Jan. K.C. Sportshow, at H. Roe Bartle Hall, to help recruit new NRA members. We would have gotten a free t-shirt and reimbursed for parking for giving up our Sunday to volunteer. But just as we have done in times past, we were actually on the verge of volunteering. Until I got to thinking about some of the hateful complaints I have read here on GB.com about the NRA. So I declined.

Surely no one would claim that the NRA doesn't do some net good for our gun rights. Sure, we all agree the NRA has made mistakes in the past and will in the future, and we don't always agree on what the NRA does. But I think few will say that the NRA doesn't do ANYTHING. I know on a personal basis the NRA created the CCW right in MO after several hard battles. Same story in KS although the Govenor vetoed it. And if anyone who had doubts about the NRA would bother to read the monthly magazine, such as the American Rifleman, you would find some of the many,many things the NRA is doing for the shooting sports. And you would see of the great people running the NRA; some paid and some volunteer. Surely you can't believe all those great people are secretly working to give away your gun rights, or just doing barely enough to keep gun owners happy or that those great people are themselves fooled by NRA leadership into beieving in the NRA when in your opinion the NRA doesn't deserve their faith and support. Do you really believe those people are so naive or stupid compared to you and that you know the dirty truth about the NRA and they don't?

And if the NRA falls, we pro-gunners will have lost what has frightened the anti-gun crowd into thinking it was an all powerful giant. This will please the NRA bashers and the anti-gun crowd . But my family and I are not going to spend any more extra time, money and effort helping the NRA survive. I'll still maintain my personal membership and send them a little money but that is it.

I had wanted to volunteer at the K.C. Sportshow to try and recruit new members. But when I think of possibley being in the middle of a bunch of gun owners who cherish their always under attack gun rights, but hate the NRA and people like me who expend extra effort to support the NRA, I just decided it was not worth the effort for me and my family any longer.

The vast majority of gun owners don't do one damn thing to protect their gun rights. I have become extremely disappointed to learn that many gun owners go beyond apathy about supporting the NRA. Their feelings even go so far as hatred for the NRA. And even anger towards vocal NRA supporters llike me. And this from not just NRA non-members, but even NRA members. I've had enough. The NRA and the NRA haters can just fight it out without bothering me about it.

One last interesting point for you. TV reporter Mike Wallace was an honored guest at a Brady Center fundraiser at the elite anti-gun French Embassy. While there he reportedly mocked former NRA president Charlton Heston and also wrote a check for a donation to the anti-gun Brady Center. Notice Wallace didn't mock the president of the GOA. In fact I doubt he even knows who that person is. He mocked the NRA. That should tell you that we need to suport all pro-gun organizations
and not let any one of them fail.

So you NRA bashers took me out. You only need take out a few million more and you will have what you apparently desire: no NRA. That should make you AND Ted Kennedy, Charles Schumer, Dianie Feinsten, Sarah Bady, the national liberal media, etc. very, very happy.

Don't bother yourself flaming me because I won't be reading it.

f2520l.jpg

Comments

• WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, TR, I don't blame you. This whole thing gets friggin' ponderous at times. I see a lot of fingers flapping on keyboards in this forum, but not too many folks willing to get off their @sses and actually do something constructive. I respect the fact that you are an active supporter of the NRA and that you have openly volunteered your services to them. I am sorry that the naysayers keep getting to you.

I hear a lot here about how the NRA is evil, they are just 2nd Amendment compromisers and are undermining our gun rights, and that they are really just pawns of the gun confiscators. Apparently GOA's members all spit diamonds and poop gold because everything about them sounds so wonderful. I am a member of both, so does that mean I cancel myself out? But other than that, I don't do much more for the "cause", except that I own guns, talk to other people that like guns (out of my own pure selfish enjoyment of the topic), shoot my guns whenever I get a chance, and I poke around on these forums. I suppose that makes me an enemy of the 2nd Amendment since I don't have a loaded .50 pointed at my door in anticipation of an ATF raid.

I still haven't figured out what the ideal 2nd Amendment supporter is supposed to do exactly. Sell GOA t-shirts at the local gun show? Send a form letter to every one of their reps on a weekly basis? Or just hole up someplace and wait for Janet Reno to bust through the door?

I would like to see anybody who criticizes another member on this forum for their ACTIONS to then specifically define what other ACTIONS they feel would be more effective. Instead a see a whole lot of criticism followed by a whole lot of INACTION.

-Wolf

wwsm.GIF
    MOLON LABE

The Second Amendment begins when the First Amendment ends.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tr, sounds like you are a bit depressed. I know that I have been critical of the NRA many times, but to seriously upset another pro-gun individual was not my intention. I know you are a strong supporter of our rights, and I hope that you don't give up or leave the forum.

I used to read American Rifleman, and saw advertisements for the AR-15s and neutered AK-47s. It really felt like a was being slapped in the face because they are part of the reason I can't easily get the "real thing."

If you like the NRA, and think they are doing a good job, then stay with them. When I was a member I tried to contact them asking about how they supported the NFA of 1934 and the FOPA of 1986 with the anti machine gun riders attached to it. Their response was that they didn't support the anti-gun parts, but making a fuss about it would give the anti-gun crowd more ammunition. That's their response: It's not our fault, but we won't do anything to fix it.

TR, you seem to be a great supporter and friend. I know you are getting frustrated, and I don't want you to leave. Keep in mind that the main reason that I seem so bitter when it comes to the NRA is because they used to be a group I felt good about and had a lot of confidence in. It hurts a lot when you find out that something you support so much doesn't always support you back.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    whooppeeeee.

You are quite the drama queen.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Ethel... You just cannot resist revealing the depths of your ignorance...can you.. quote:Sit back relax and remember the people who jump on you all the time dont really want gun rights
    You and YOUR kind are the people working full time to barter away gun rights. Get used to that idea...since none of your kind of people will ever tell the truth.
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If either the GOA or NRA had ten million paying members we could reverse 40 years of gun laws within a year. If there were 20 million members all gun laws made after 1933 would be repealed. Some gun owners are sometimes even more destructive to our gun rights than even the Brady Bolsheviks.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self
    defense cases.
    Check out my blog: http://crimefilenews.blogspot.com/
    edited November -1
    So go ahead. Pretend you are pro-gun..as you blast those advocating less gun control.

Piss down my back and tell me its raining..as the nra does on a regular basis.
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe I counted no less than three direct references to me in the above posts. I would like to say thanks for remembering me but I'm affraid you didn't get my points. First, tr, I have repeatedly said that the NRA does some good things but usually at the expense of gun owners. What I meant by this is that yes, we want a CCW in Missouri but not if it includes registration. Just an example but this is the type of trade-off we have been getting. I am a paid in full member of the NRA, I just signed four petitions, donated another $40 and mailed it off yesterday. If I was asked to volunteer somewhere in the vicinity of my home, I would do so. For you to quit because a few of us express our frustrations with the NRA is fruitless, if anything it should drive you more, instead of being defensive about what some of us are saying, listen to what we are saying and see if any of it warrants your attention. If the NRA is calling you to donate time then I'm sure there is somebody that you can talk to in the hierarchy that might listen to some of our complaints. If an active member has a complaint then it deserves listening to, if, however, the complaint is coming from a non-member, dismiss it as fodder. This is what my point was not for you to quit. Highball may think it is funny initially, but even Highball has to realize that the NRA serves a very important function of defending our gun rights even if they do compromise. This doesn't make it OK but at least they are out there. What Highball, myself, dsmith, and pickenup are trying to say is we're very frustrated as are you and it all comes down to the NRA, just on different angles. Like dsmith, my intention was not to have you give up your support but that maybe you could initiate some kind of change.

You have said many times along with WW that we need not fight amongst ourselves, that is only counter-productive and I too believe this to be true. You can't let a few guys who let their emotions run free change something in you that has been a part of you and your families life, that's just down-right wrong. If it's not too late call the NRA and volunteer I know that I, for one, want you there. You represent what is good about the organization, even if you do tend to get a bit defensive[;)]. So hang in there and don't try so hard to change the way some of us are thinking but rather try and understand it. That is the best way to determine whether what we say is valid or not and if not then tell us why if it is then help to change the problem.

I sure as hell don't want to be any part of the reason you quit your support of the NRA or your leaving this forum. You are a valued member here and have much to offer I think it would be a real loss to all of us for you to go.

WW, I keep a .50 cal pointed at my door when I andswer it because that is a tactic used by thugs. Knock on the door then force their way in. NOT AT MY HOUSE! If it happens to be the ATF then good riddens. My computer is acting up. I'll finish later.

upsdFlag.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
    edited November -1
    Actually..I never thought it was funny.

As stated..the TRfoxes are the members we WANT in the NRA..doing the heavy lifting and just maybe altering some closed minds at the top...

Trfox supports some gun control..just not as much as those running the show over at NRA headquarters...

As far as blaming me for withdrawing from NRA activities..that can come about ONLY because something I said caused a connection to be made about WHY we are in this terrible shape gun-law wise..not because of the sense of 'being hated' by gun owners.

My view-point about the NRA is shared by very few...naturally, my belief being that 50 years from now....my view=point will be vindicated.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:WW, I keep a .50 cal pointed at my door when I andswer it because that is a tactic used by thugs. Knock on the door then force their way in. NOT AT MY HOUSE!

nice[;)]

wwsm.GIF
    MOLON LABE

The Second Amendment begins when the First Amendment ends.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Not the first time fox and I've crossed swords over this one.And I am truely sorry that I am on the side I am on....I would rather be beside him ANYDAY.......I've tried to be respectful....hope I have to that end......SIGH.....L.H.
    edited November -1
    I agree wih longhunter. I wish I could be on tr's side more often. As he says, arguing amongst ourselves is exactly what the antis want. I don't always agree with him, but I do know that he is ultimately on the side of the gun owners.
    edited November -1
    The arguing stops instantly the day one admits that gun control is evil..and those promoting it are also.
    The sad misguided followers of the elite propaganda are where my interests lie..some can be rescued from the clutches of the dark side even yet.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lately, I've been seeing the NRA do more fighting in full battery, than standing there, blocking shots.

I have some hope they will succeed due to this momentum, but first, I want to hear an admission that the FOPA'86 is a gun ban; is not a boon for gun owners; and needs fixed, and some attempt to fix it is under way. until that time, I have to believe the bartering will continue.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.

"Mirror Mirror on the wall. Who's the ugliest one of all?"

-Janet Reno, the Butcher of Waco.
    edited November -1
    gunphreak, if you'd be paying attention to the NRA propoganda, you would hear how the FOPA is the greatest thing to ever happen to gun owners. It was signed by Reagan, the NRA's current symbol of pro-gun status, who also gave us the ban on steel handgun ammo.

Sad that people take what the NRA says at face value. [xx(]
    edited November -1
    gunphreak, do you think that the NRA has turned around? If so, what is responsible?
    edited November -1
    quote:gunphreak, if you'd be paying attention to the NRA propoganda, you would hear how the FOPA is the greatest thing to ever happen to gun owners. It was signed by Reagan, the NRA's current symbol of pro-gun status, who also gave us the ban on steel handgun ammo.

I have been paying attention to the NRA. This is the one big sore spot I have with the NRA. And the fact that it was signed by Reagan makes me further angrier at the "party of the guns". It also makes me wish Hinckley would have never tried to assassinate Reagan, because this crap would have not taken place, IMO, and Sarah Brady would have nothing to rally against us over.

But we all know the real problem is that Sarah Brady can't get no loving, now, and this is her real motivation for her rabid antigun-ness.

And, until I see a turnaround here, my issues with the NRA will continue.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

edited November -1
    quote:gunphreak, do you think that the NRA has turned around? If so, what is responsible?

Yeah I do, but I do not believe we have seen a full 180, yet. They have went on the offense, and this is good, and I believe it all bec=gan with a few simple acts.

1. By recognizing a little name calling is good when it is the truth ie. calling liars "liars".
    2. By Rallying gun owners to the polls to get rid of certain politicians, first in the house, then in the senate, then in the White House, and finally a filibuster proof majority in the senate.
    3. By removing the AWB (though not as well as I had hoped)
    4. By passing LCIA act.

But they have a long way to go in order to pull off the full 180. I'm waiting....

Death to Tyrants!!!

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there were any turn around by the NRA to a more 2nd amendment stance, I would give (at least partial) credit to the internet. The ability to gather and share information has never been better. Unlike years past, when "most" of the information you received, was the one sided propaganda, sent by them. Now, with the internet, you can get "both" sides to a story. You can find information on what "has" happened, and what is happening. Then hold them accountable.

I feel that the people that have taken the "holy" NRA down from their pedestal, pulled their heads out of the sand , that are seeing BOTH sides of the story, who are now questioning their actions (and motives) will have the largest influence on the path the NRA will choose in the future. Knowledge is power, let's use it to our advantage.

Sure glad Fox isn't going to read this.
    At least, that is what he "said." [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Pickenup, take a look at my thread called "The Internet." It shows I have a similar belief as far as the internet supporting true freedom.
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see everyone seems to be on the same page as far as infighting goes. There is no room in our battle to fight amongst ourselves and it's nice to see that we can disagree in a civil manner. Unlike many other sites and even within this GunBroker Forum certain boards are like a war zone. If we can manage to agree to disagree and always keep it civil, there is no limit to what may be accomplished. Yes, right here on this board, we've had some ideas flowing at times and sooner or later that one perfect idea will surface and he anti's will be through. Keep the faith my brethren, the strong will be victorious. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a battle of attrition and he who lasts the longest, wins.

Sorry, Highball, didn't mean to put emotions on your sleeve. I think I'll let you decide what is and isn't funny. That would be my bad. Won't happen again.

I trust everyone had a nice Christmas? Ours was nice and quiet, had a Turducken for dinner. It was quite tasty, it's turkey, duck, and sausage in a turkey breast, yummy! Bought the wife that Sirius satellite tuner so she can have her Howard Stern in the morning. I bought 6,500 shares of Sirius at $2.85 per share and at last check it was hovering around $7.00 and had been as high as $8.25. Way to go Howard! If this is anything like XM Satellite in popularity and contracts, we'll make a small fortune. Bought XM at $11.07 and sold it at just over $31.00, unfortunately I had only bought 300 shares. I don't know why I felt compelled to share that but there you have it.[:D]

upsdFlag.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?