In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Real Hope for the Future

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
IMG_1408.jpg

My 7 year old son firing a Springfield Model 15 .22LR that belonged to his recently deceased grandfather. This was his firt time on the range and the first time the gun had been fired in over 50 years. He was shooting consistent 3" groups all day (200+ rnds) at 20 yards.

I will probably cry myself to sleep tonight.

This sort of activity represents the best hope for preserving the rights guaranteed by the 2nd.

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you......I really mean that !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To see this kind of picture, is why I give away 22 rifles to kids.
    Kids ARE our future.
    THANKS for the pic.
  • Options
    SPQRSPQR Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outstanding post!

Only by getting the young involved in shooting and firearms in general will we keep the 2nd amendment alive. I recently introduced a young friend (19 years old) into target shooting. I took him to the range where he had a chanch to shoot pistols, 38spl,9mm,45acp, and a selection of rifles, my 6.5 Sweedish mauser,K98,303 Enfield, and my AK. However before he even set foot on the range, we discussed SAFETY, SAFETY, and more SAFETY. Everyone of us should make an effort to bring in new people to the shooting sports, and to make sure that we give them a good understanding on what the 2nd amendment is all about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A big part of my taking him to the range and getting him involved is the oppurtunity it provides for me to set an example of some sort when it comes to safety. I have lived most of my life on an edge (happily I might add). I was able to do so because whether it was obvious or not, I took safety seriously.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think schools should teach baloney detection courses about advertising & marketing---classes about credit & debit cards & finances, & the real stinker to many, about firearms, history, safety, political & legal issues, etc...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    i think schools should teach baloney detection courses about advertising & marketing---classes about credit & debit cards & finances, & the real stinker to many, about firearms, history, safety, political & legal issues, etc...

I am only 42 and I can remember being excited when I was in elementary school about Jr High because you could be on the rifle team. It was Red Bank, TN which is a suburb of Chattanooga.

Today, in Wake Forest, NC, my son had to get permission to wear a suit of Spartan armor and carry a spear he made out of a dowel and some clay when he did a report on Ancient Greece and the battle of Thermopylae.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Springfield single shot .22 that my dad had in Amarillo TX 70 years ago. I learned on it and my 8 and 11 year old boys have both learned on it. Great gun, great memories, still shoots straight. These kids are the hope of the future, we need to train them right....