In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Auto Pilot....Life and Freedom !!!

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I saved someones life last night. It was my girlfriend. We all read about choking and what to do. You wonder, if it ever happens, will I be able to perform the Heimlich. Well, if you ever witness it, you most likely will jump right in. You just do it. you go into automatic pilot. I performed the Heimlich Maneuver on my girlfriend last night.
We were eating dinner and a piece of food became lodged in ther throat. I let her try to get it out on here own. When I saw it would not, without even thinking I grabbed her and began the Heimlich. The blockage would not come out. I was really pulling on her abdomen and beating on her back and it still would not dislodge. She was having a really hard time now and I called 911. She ran out the front door where her 17 year old son and some other people were in front of my house. 2 other people were trying the same thing and it still would not come out. I exited the house about 45 seconds later (after calling 911) and saw she was as purple as a purple Crayola Crayon. The fear of watching someone die and not having the ability to save them is what is most fearful. My neighbor looked at me and said, "it won't come out and I do not know what to do". That's when I grabbed her and gave it a few really big thrusts. The food flew out and she gasped for her first breaths...what relief !!
As I type this some 12 hours after, I am reasured that if the time comes to take back our freedom, myself and everyone who cares will know what to do and our bodies will go into auto pilot. Some people wonder, me included, is a revolution at our door steps?....What will we do?..................Will we fight?....................Will we surrender?..........I do not have those answers. The one answer I do have is, be prepared for the worst, and do yourself a favor, read up on the Heimlich.
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Awesome NY!

That post was a great read. I really like how you tie it in with freedom. I belive what you are saying is true though. I belive those who have fight in their spirit, will know what to do when the time comes.

I do wish however, that people would get needed supplies stored NOW.

People should see there is a need for MORE than ammo and arms. If/when the time comes that we are called to action, we won't have the luxury of supply lines, nor the comforts that we take for granted daily.

Glad to hear your girlfriend is doing good.
    James
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    WTG Pete! I am glad you were able save her. What a relief! I had to save my mom once. A piece of steak. As you said, I asked her if she was ok, she shook her head NO!!! Without thinking I grabbed her, spun her around, and gave her an abdominal thrust. The piece of steak went flying across the room! She immediately spun back 'round and squeezed me around the neck.[:D] You were totally right about the autopilot.
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys. This situation has given us a new outlook on life !
    Abort Cuomo
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    NY;
    Just read your post.
    What a great example of not 'waiting for big brother' to solve your problems...as waiting would have solved the problem..permanently.

You today...AND your girlfriend...are living proof of the validity of personal responsibility and actions.

Also a good reminder to the rest of us, that sometimes it takes far more force to resolve a problem then we like to exert.

I have been told that artificial resuscitation may require enough pressure to nearly crack breastbones.
    Congratulations, Sir.you done good, in country boy lingo.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    NY;
    Just read your post.
    What a great example of not 'waiting for big brother' to solve your problems...as waiting would have solved the problem..permanently.

You today...AND your girlfriend...are living proof of the validity of personal responsibility and actions.

Also a good reminder to the rest of us, that sometimes it takes far more force to resolve a problem then we like to exert.

I have been told that artificial resuscitation may require enough pressure to nearly crack breastbones.
    Congratulations, Sir.you done good, in country boy lingo.

Yes, giving CPR can and does break ribs.

It is eerie enough giving someone who is "dead" CPR, let alone when you hear ribs breaking. You never forget it.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very glad your situation ended up the way it did!
    Everyone should know about the Heimlich manuever, and how to perform CPR.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe if I had done nothing and waited for the EMT's, she would be in the ground today.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    I believe if I had done nothing and waited for the EMT's, she would be in the ground today.

And you would most likely be correct.
    YOU saved her, by taking control,......my hat is off to you!
    PS: This is from a former firefighter/EMT.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well done, nyforester. You were absolutely correct in your actions and assumptions. Because you exercised your freedom to act, your girlfriend is alive today... which is better than the EMTs could have done.

You acted to save a life... they would have arrived to stuff her in a bodybag, which is likely just another night's work for them.

One important thing to note, you CARED about the outcome of the situation. When we relinquish the outcome to those who do not care, then we receive a careless outcome in the end.

Congratulations to you and best wishes to your girlfriend and loved ones.

-WoundedWolf