In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

We're ADULTS Dammit, and Should Be Treated As Such

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Just had this thought. We are adults and should demand to be treated like it. And since this country is only able to exist and function by riding on the backs of the common citizen, and because the constituiton and founding fathers decreed that all govt. power comes FROM the people TO the govt., not the other way around. So we citizens should not have to worry about some politician taking away some of our "adult" freedoms such as owning and shooting guns. And there are other freedoms that American adults should never have to worry about losing. Freedoms such as owning cars that can reach 0-60 in 4 seconds or so, or motorcycles that can do the quarter mile in under 10 seconds, or strong and powerful yard and home chemicals, or dangerous tools such as chain saws, or being allowed to have our physician prescribe strong medicene for us that we are able to store at home and take when needed as opposed to having to have a visiting nurse come by our house to admininster the medication or us having to go to the doctor's office each time we need a dose of the strong mediciene, or us being allowed to store extra gasoline at home for our lawnmower or other vehicles, or to have and use nail guns. etc., etc.

Now I realilze that most of what I have mentioned is not prohibited with the exception of firearms. But with the way our government is trying to more and more become our "parents" and we the children, I am betting that some of the things I mentioned will at some point try to be controlled by the government. What do you think?

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.

Comments

• SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well...the ownership of firearms is obviously highly controlled. But as to the other stuff, strong drugs are highly controlled, the government does limit who much gasoline I can store on my farm and how I store it, the do tell me what chemicals I am allowed to store and how much. 90% of the farmers where I'm from have been breaking the chemical laws for years.

Yes there are plenty of "rules" and more as time goes on. My strategy is to ignore the ones that are really stupid and hope I don't get caught.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    skywatcher: that is interesting. For some reason I had not thought about farms and the large amounts of gas and chemicals that would be needed to be stored. And I am not surprised that the farmers are heavily regulated. But I think govt. would like to more heavily regulate even the common city dewlling citizens.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR: The only reason that I can think that the gov't regulates farmers so much on this stuff (aside from the illegal stuff like DDT) is that they don't want large quantities stored for either 1. Possible pollution hazard, or 2. Possible illegal use. There are laws that regulate the way you store and and then there are laws that regulate how much. I can understand the regulations about methods of storage being used as a pollution detterent and/or safety measure. But the regulations as to amount? Come on, who's that fooling?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My take on new government regulations....

The time has come for our government to stop harassing and trying to overly regulate the law abiding common man. It's time to clean up their own back yard and leave ours alone. If they would focus on properly enforcing the current laws and regulations they would not have time to dream up such crap against the honest man.

For example, the "war on drugs". That has gotten to be ridiculous. There are more illegal drugs coming into our country now more than ever. More drug dealers and more addicts. This affects us all. The more twenty cent crack heads there are, the higher chance your home will be burglarized and your possessions sold for a $20.00 crack rock. The more chance you, a family member, or friend will be seriously assaulted (with a gun) by someone needing money for their next fix. Get rid of the drugs and lets watch the national crime stats drop like a rock. Especially those stats involving assaults by firearms. Their efforts to stop drugs has not worked, what in the h*ll makes them think banning firearms will. How much do you think the firearm related crimes of our country would drop if they got rid of the drug problem?

Illegal immigrants. They are entering our country by the groves. And no one is doing anything about it. If they can reframe from committing any serious felonies they remain here worry free and tax free. Raping our health care system everyday. You know who's paying for that. They take part in our benefits and rights but return nothing to our system of government. The government relies on us the honest tax payers to keep the system running. How many illegal immigrants have contributed the rise of our national crime statistics involving violent firearm acts? If they were not here how much would those stats drop? You know, those same stats they are using against us to ban our firearms.

Think about it, how many times do you turn on the T.V. News, here about a shooting, and it not have some other primary cause.
    Such as: drug deal gone bad, a robbery, gang war, etc. The common denominator here is not the weapon but rather the crime committing "THUG". Let's put some oil on the squeaky wheel for a change and focus on the real problem.

Face it; our government does not have a good track record with solving problems by creating new laws. Somewhere, somehow, and sometime (soon) the American people have got to come together and understand that. Standing alone we will have no effect. Only joined together will we the people empower the government.

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    3gun: man, you raised some really good points that are not thought of very often. I would love to slam the door on the illegal immergrents. Oh, excuse me! The policitical correct term is now "undocumented worker". Don't want to offend anyone who broke our laws to get and stay here and those who help them. But I don't think enough of the American people are ever going to come together to stop all this madness.

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    More Government control=less personal responsibility;
    Less personal responsibility=More Government control;

A very vicious circle which soon will = Slavery to our masters...

A populace content ...no, BEGGING for control..deserves no more....
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun kontrol is a lot like safety caps on aspirin bottles or condoms. Rather than be cautious and careful not to let youngsters get into the medicine cabinets, lets just leave safety caps on the bottles that they can defeat with relative ease, and not worry about it until someone ends up OD'ed.

Condoms to prevent teen pregnancies? Sure it may work to a certain degree, but there is, of course, that risk of failure, same with birth control pills, but this is an out of sight out of mind deal with those foolish enough to play the odds. And as for prevention of diseases, maybe they should ask themselves this question: Would you willingly have sex with someone you knew was HIV+ with nothing more than a condom between you and a death sentence?

We all know the problems that arise from victim disarmament, but at the same time, I have a theory as to why we now fight this battle. Most of our antigunners are one of two people: the first is one is the type that succumbed to the propaganda, the other being the godless wretches that think they know a better way than God's way to handle ourselves.

The politicians are a different story. More on that later....

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.