In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why Not Use Religion (Luke22:36) to Help Gun Righ

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Can anyone tell me why the pro-gun rights movement has never, ever used religion as one of the reasons to justify owning, carrying and shooting guns? There are many, many passages in the Bible that speak favorably of armed citizens. One in particular, Luke 22:36, quotes Jesus as COMMANDING his followers to "sell all you own and buy swords". And of course swords were the handgun and "assualt weapon" of that time in history.

Many different and even some unsavory groups have sued the government on the basis of that their religious rights were being violated because of laws that prevented them form "practicing" their religion. Convicts have gotten special rights in prison because of their suing over relligion. Indian and Eskimo groups have sued over their religion and gotten special rights. There was even a Muslim woman in FLA. who sued because her religion prohibited her from removing her veil, which revealed only her eyes, when having her drivers license picture taken. Yeah, thankfully she lost her case, but her attempts should at least get us pro-gun people thinking about a better way to use this religious thing to our advantate.

Even in today's paper there is a Pittsburg story about a Canadian Amish man whose immigration application was rejected when he refused to be photographed and he sued our government on Friday, accusing federal officials of violating his religious rights.

Is this idea of using religion to help protect our gun rights just totally worthless or what? If it has any value does anyone here know of any groups, lawyers, religions or religious leaders that care to take the time and money to pursue this? Sure, maybe it is a long shot, but sometimes longshots hit the target. And we need all the help we can get. Comments PLEASE.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I have repeatedly been challenged by 'Christens' about the validity of personal and community defense..in a Biblical sense.

The reference you provided is nearly the only text in the Bible..there are a couple more obscure ones.I Have asked Much more knowledgeable people then I about this..and remain frustrated about this.

Our Founders were very intelligent people..Bible wise,also...and they led the Revolution off the pulpit...
  • h4ckthish4ckthis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox,

Your point would be fine to use when discussing the issue of gun ownership with Christians, but (as with anything) using the Bible to justify a position with non-Christians is diffult.

Otherwise, it's a great suggestion!

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state..."
    Article 13
    Virginia Bill of Rights
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    thanks h4ckthis, but I am far beyond trying to honestly change people's minds about guns by using the bible argument. I am merely trying to do as so many other "special interest" groups have done. Mold my situation and problems into a form that will trigger the use, strength and force of federal law that protects certain minorities rights. Such as gay rights, illegal immergrants, criminals, etc.. If I can get under the umbrella of federal protection of religion with this idea we can cause the anti-gun government to go to war with itself and at it's expense to fight for our gun rights. But this is a long difficult effort which will need the help of a lot of people who can come to believe in a new, somewhat strange idea.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • h4ckthish4ckthis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ah!

I like your reasoning.

Anti-gun laws violate my freedom of religion.

Unfortunately, as your "signature" aptly says, somewhere along the line the "Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights"...

The problem with using religion is, at least with regards to Christianity (which IMHO is a relationship--not a religion) is that Christians are more often than not denied their freedom of religion due to the hostility towards their faith.

Having said this, the ROOT of the problem is "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is, in fact, being infringed on in the name of "public safety" and "crime prevention".

Would you think that the principle that "Congress shall make no law...prohibiting the free exercise" of religion would actually be FOLLOWED by the Congress?
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you guys read and remember Psalms 149, you will see your path, but remember, you can expect to be persecuted for your beliefs against the non-believer. this WILL happen.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.