In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting by School

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
Me and my friends are out of school and the other day we were up on the hill above my old school shooting 22's and the school is about 500 yards away down over the hill from our range where you cant see it at all and its 100% safe from any (God forbid) stray bullets. Anyways we were shooting and a day later a teacher came up to us and asked us if we were shooting the day before (during school hours) and said if we were to stop because the school was ready to call the cops on us. First off did we do anything illegal and second could the school have done anything?

Comments

• MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see anything illegal, but they may require you to take a remedial writing program.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toe the line and make sure you are 100% legal meaning no stolen/unregistered guns, not trespassing ,or violating some ordinance then fire away. Make sure your buddies say nothing that could possible be construed as a threat. Have a lawyer on retainer.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wait guns dont have to be registered in pa right? Like ones that arent full auto
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Gunz
    wait guns dont have to be registered in pa right? Like ones that arent full auto
    To be honest I can't tell you. But if you are not sure about your gun laws I would be finding out. You're pushing the envelope shooting near a school with all those anti gun teachers(sterotype I know, would call them liberal but they are opposed to liberty)they undoubtably will try to stop you somehow.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Unless you want to be the opening story on the 6:00 o'clock news, I'd find another place to shoot. Legal or not, the anti-gunners would jump all over that story. That teacher did you a favor.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Unless you want to be the opening story on the 6:00 o'clock news, I'd find another place to shoot. Legal or not, the anti-gunners would jump all over that story. That teacher did you a favor.
    I agree the teacher did them a favor,nice heads up to get thier ducks in a row.
    But If it's legal to shoot there then why find another place? The western frontier is gone, you can't simply move like Daniel Boone till you no longer see the smoke from the neighbors cabin. The school officials may be worried, justifiably maybe, but why should thier paranoia dictate the loss of rights for others.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BGHillbilly
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I agree the teacher did them a favor,nice heads up to get thier ducks in a row.
    But If it's legal to shoot there then why find another place? The western frontier is gone, you can't simply move like Daniel Boone till you no longer see the smoke from the neighbors cabin. The school officials may be worried, justifiably maybe, but why should thier paranoia dictate the loss of rights for others.

Legal or not, it's the anti-gun public perception that hurts responsible gun owners. I can picture the TV news crying that a .22 bullet can travel up to a mile and the school is a mere 500 yards away. Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.

Far too many times I see on the news that someone had a "cache of weapons" or "an arsenal" when it may have only been two or three hunting guns. I saw an episode of "Law & Order" where a man had three legally registered handguns and Detective Olivia Benson said "Three handguns? Are you expecting a war?".

In NY State, a Ruger 10/22 with more than a 10-round magazine is an "assault weapon"! Just last night, some guy had a mere 300 rounds of ammo and the TV news made it sound like he was ready for World War III. Hell, I have more rounds than that in my nightstand!

I lived in Virginia for 20 years where open carry is legal but almost nobody does. Even though it's legal, it isn't worth the hassle from the public or the cops. Besides, most people don't want the bad guy knowing if - and where - their handgun is.
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The vast majority of the public, particularly on the East and West coasts never see guns and have no experience with them. All they know is what they hear on TV. They think everyone holding a handgun is capable of inflicting a head shot between the eyes while flying through the air and hold the gun sideways. I hate to say it, but while you may be able to educate them one at a time, the modern culture, government and media is against you and confrontation will only get you arrested and your guns taken away. In our metrosexual, increasingly sissified culture, there is no point in direct confrontation with the ignorant, they are beyond understanding and full of fear.

Find another place to shoot.
    edited November -1
    SO once again the masses decide to back down tail between thier legs and run for cover. Getting a lot easier to see why the country is in the shape it is.
  • brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    SO once again the masses decide to back down tail between thier legs and run for cover. Getting a lot easier to see why the country is in the shape it is.

Yep, pretty sad isnt it?
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    People in open carry states should openly carry as often as possible imho. Through seeing these firearms in public without the violence that is supposed to follow with them it could make our case easier. People get harrassed because it is the exception rather than the norm. If we keep allowing them to push us into the shadows as a dirty little secret they have won
    edited November -1
    A school full of kids hearing gunfire that is NOT directed at them should help them realize that guns are not the problem.

Several schools in my area are attemting to start trap and skeet programs. Somebody is funding them thru grants and the state game and fish are or were presenting it to schools.
    edited November -1
    Having a trap and skeet program at school would be great. I grew up with an NRA sponsored small bore league that many of my classmates and I took part in. We shot with the Scouts... But the world is changing and we have larger battles ahead of us.

I just gave this question a little more thought. This isn't any heavy constitutional question. This "recent graduate" was shooting near his old school. He is lucky that he didn't get run in. Go find a real shooting range kiddo.
    edited November -1
    There you go Matchshot, standing by the side defending the status quo. It may be a small battle as you put it but why accept defeat.

And if the range is owned by one of the shooters(Mr Gunz doesn't say one way or the other) I feel it is a constitutional questions.
    edited November -1
    There you go Matchshot, standing by the side defending the status quo. It may be a small battle as you put it but why accept defeat.

And if the range is owned by one of the shooters(Mr Gunz doesn't say one way or the other) I feel it is a constitutional questions.

If it were a real gun range you are right. I suspect this is a bunch of kids out shooting in the woods. If it were a real range I hardly think this would be the first time someone came and talked to them about their shooting.