In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

in serious need of help.

Cali_GrownCali_Grown Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I am a 21 year old male from CA that has been trying to regain my rights to own firearms and protect my household and family. when I was 16 years old, I was placed in a mental health care center on a 5150 (possibly 5250) hold for a suicide attempt. basically I was introduced to meth at this time, and had a breakdown after this 2 week period, but have never even considered drugs sense. my understanding is that in the case of a 5150 hold my rights would be prohibited for 5 years (which should be over) but with a 5250 hold I am prohibited to own a firearm for life by federal law. supposedly this is because I am a danger to myself or others (far from true) but I feel that these prohibitions are actually in fact producing the opposite affect, leaving me and my family unprotected. now that I am older I have been having serious trouble trying to regain my rights, based on something that happened before I was even legally old enough to make my own decisions.

Now I am struggling to find a way to reinstate my rights, and I was hoping that somebody here would be able to help me find some options. I really don't know what I can do, but the area I live in is dangerous to say the least, surrounded by gangbangers and criminals, who all seem to have managed to find firearms for themselves. my house has been broken into on several occasions, and both me and my family have been threatened multiple times. law enforcement has been of little help. I don't feel that me or my family are safe in this situation, and really could use some help from somebody with a better understanding in these matters. I don't want to have to resort to purchasing a firearm illegally, and am willing to go through whatever motions necessary to do this the right way, if it is even still possible. PLEASE any insight would be much appreciated, I feel that my family's welfare may be at stake.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Get a lawyer.

Nothing we can tell you will fix it.
  • COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    Get a lawyer.

Nothing we can tell you will fix it.

Ditto +1000.
    You need a lawyer to handle this for you.
    If you try it pro-per, then you'll probably lose permanently.

COB
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    My first priority would be to move my family out of there.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I agree with all the above. Spider's idea first, then freemind's.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    I agree with all the above. Spider's idea first, then freemind's.

I agree with Horse plains drifter... there is a far higher chance that a judge will take your rights permanately in california then in a more constitutionally friendly state like montana, colorado, kentucky, or wyoming.
  • Cali_GrownCali_Grown Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you everybody for your concern. California is definitely not the most gun-friendly state. I have been trying to convince my family to move, but they seem comfortable here. I would just move myself but don't think I can leave them here knowing what it's like. I guess I will take all your advice and find a good lawyer. once again thanks for the help.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send a pm to freedom fighter one of the others on this forum. He may be able to assist.
    Why not contact your local pd and check to see what your current status is. Dont fill out any paper till you see if you have a shot at getting thru.
    There is a attorney who wrote a book on gun laws in NJ which is another problem state for gun laws. Here is a link to his site if you need legal advise or refferal...
    http://www.evannappen.com/
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cali_Grown
    Thank you everybody for your concern. California is definitely not the most gun-friendly state. I have been trying to convince my family to move, but they seem comfortable here. I would just move myself but don't think I can leave them here knowing what it's like. I guess I will take all your advice and find a good lawyer. once again thanks for the help.

I can't imagine anyone being "comfortable" if the situation is really as bad as you say.

"I really don't know what I can do, but the area I live in is dangerous to say the least, surrounded by gangbangers and criminals, who all seem to have managed to find firearms for themselves. My house has been broken into on several occasions, and both me and my family have been threatened multiple times. law enforcement has been of little help. I don't feel that me or my family are safe in this situation."
  • Cali_GrownCali_Grown Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe comfortable wasn't the word I was looking for... stubborn?
    edited November -1
    maybe comfortable wasn't the word I was looking for... stubborn?

...or perhaps "foolish"? No offense intended.
  • fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Arizona cuts electric power to California in response to Cali's boycott, you may need a flashlight as well as a firearm. Move them close to the border and maybe we can toss you an extension cord.
    [:p]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a 21 year old male from CA that has been trying to regain my rights to own firearms and protect my household and family. when I was 16 years old, I was placed in a mental health care center on a 5150 (possibly 5250) hold for a suicide attempt. basically I was introduced to meth at this time, and had a breakdown after this 2 week period, but have never even considered drugs sense. my understanding is that in the case of a 5150 hold my rights would be prohibited for 5 years (which should be over) but with a 5250 hold I am prohibited to own a firearm for life by federal law. supposedly this is because I am a danger to myself or others (far from true) but I feel that these prohibitions are actually in fact producing the opposite affect, leaving me and my family unprotected. now that I am older I have been having serious trouble trying to regain my rights, based on something that happened before I was even legally old enough to make my own decisions.

Now I am struggling to find a way to reinstate my rights, and I was hoping that somebody here would be able to help me find some options. I really don't know what I can do, but the area I live in is dangerous to say the least, surrounded by gangbangers and criminals, who all seem to have managed to find firearms for themselves. my house has been broken into on several occasions, and both me and my family have been threatened multiple times. law enforcement has been of little help. I don't feel that me or my family are safe in this situation, and really could use some help from somebody with a better understanding in these matters. I don't want to have to resort to purchasing a firearm illegally, and am willing to go through whatever motions necessary to do this the right way, if it is even still possible. PLEASE any insight would be much appreciated, I feel that my family's welfare may be at stake.
    hook up with highball....he will have some sage advise for you
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:hook up with highball....he will have some sage advise for you

And my first bit of advise is directed towards Reloader44mag ;

Grow a pair, rise from your belly to your feet, and divorce the Beast.
    Act like a man, for the first time in your life...and perhaps you will become one.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:hook up with highball....he will have some sage advise for you

And my first bit of advise is directed towards Reloader44mag ;

Grow a pair, rise from your belly to your feet, and divorce the Beast.
    Act like a man, for the first time in your life...and perhaps you will become one.

Well..... You DID offer some sage advice.

[:D]
  • 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imagine my surprise when I see someone referring a poster to highball for advise and the fisrt thing HB does is insult the guy doing the referring. Can't wait to see the "advise" he gives. I am sure that the term "belly crawler" will in there somewhere.

Brace yourself Cali_Grown.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Little late to this party ain't ya?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Imagine my surprise when I see someone referring a poster to highball for advise and the fisrt thing HB does is insult the guy doing the referring.

Perhaps if you took your blinders off, and didn't agree so much with the gun control stance of the person mentioning my name...you might have tumbled to the fact that that statement was merely written utter contempt for myself...and the Second Amendment that you and he despise...
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball, nice to see you posting. Been a while.