In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

maybe this is the right place

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
i posted in the other forum about the nra and got ran out of there with brooms and pitch forks,,, [V]

maybe this is the right place to ask this question,

what do u think of the indiana supreme court ruling that says u are unable to stop the police from entering your home even if the entry is unlawful???

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-ind-court-no-right-to-resist-unlawful-police-entry-20110513,0,2225708.story

The Indiana Supreme Court has ruled that people cannot keep police from entering their homes, even if the entry is "unlawful."

In a 3-2 decision, the court held there are valid reasons for police officers to enter homes without a warrant and without knocking , including concerns for an officer's safety or that a suspect may escape or that evidence may be destroyed.

"We believe. . .a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence," wrote Justice Steven David. "We also find that allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest."

David said a person arrested following an unlawful entry by police can still be released on bail and has other opportunities to protest the entry through the court system.

The Northwest Indiana Times reports that the court's decision stems from a case in which police were called to investigate a husband and wife arguing outside their apartment.

When the couple went back inside their apartment, the husband told police they were not needed and blocked the doorway so they could not enter, according to the newspaper. When an officer entered anyway, the husband shoved the officer against a wall. A second officer then used a stun gun on the husband and arrested him.

Justices Robert Rucker and Brent Dickson dissented, saying the court's decision runs counter to the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

"In my view the majority sweeps with far too broad a brush by essentially telling Indiana citizens that government agents may now enter their homes illegally -- that is, without the necessity of a warrant, consent or exigent circumstances," Rucker said. "I disagree."

Rucker and Dickson suggested if the court had limited its permission for police entry to domestic violence situations, they would have supported the ruling.

i kinda support the ruling,,, cops aint out to get you they are just trying to do there jobs and yes even the police can make a mistake,,, i am surprised people are so against the police who else do you call when burglers are at ur door????

Comments

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    You are insane. If anybody busts down a door, they can can expect to be treated as UN-invited. If it is a mistake, they can suffer the consequences. When it is happening at light speed, there is no time to find out if it is a good guy making a mistake or a bad guy coming to do harm. It is universally understood that if you are a good guy, anybody breaking your door down is a bad guy and will be treated as such.

This is another example of a police state who 1) fears everybody 2) just decides every body is a bad guy so it's okay to treat them that way.

This is clearly a violation of the 4th amendment. Deserved? Since ignorance abounds, probably. Despite that, it is NOT okay.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:i kinda support the ruling,,, cops aint out to get you they are just trying to do there jobs and yes even the police can make a mistake,,, i am surprised people are so against the police who else do you call when burglers are at ur door????You'll find no kinder welcome here when you post schite like this than you will by posting lies or ignorant propaganda about the NRA.

Have you read and do you grasp what Amendment IV clearly states?

Scratch that, you agree with the courts that police now don't need to adhere to that pesky quaint, inconvenient ol' Constitution.

And yet again we are witness to a perfect example of how and why the Republic and individual liberty are being deliberately and systematically destroyed by government that is facilitated by ignoramus-dupes and/or willful collectivists.

Sickening.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    You are insane. If anybody busts down a door, they can can expect to be treated as UN-invited. If it is a mistake, they can suffer the consequences. When it is happening at light speed, there is no time to find out if it is a good guy making a mistake or a bad guy coming to do harm. It is universally understood that if you are a good guy, anybody breaking your door down is a bad guy and will be treated as such.

This is another example of a police state who 1) fears everybody 2) just decides every body is a bad guy so it's okay to treat them that way.

this guy felt the same way u did,,,

http://www.fox11az.com/news/local/Possible-lawsuit-in-Tucson-SWAT-shooting-121714824.html
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I will call the Police if needed .
    If not ,they need to stay on the street .
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scapegoat
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf

this guy felt the same way u did,,,

http://www.fox11az.com/news/local/Possible-lawsuit-in-Tucson-SWAT-shooting-121714824.html

Your point being?

Should we just roll over, give up our arms and let the police decide what is best for us?

Many situations a LEO will be justified in taking action, but removing the checks and balances will embolden those than have the "us vs. Them" mentality into believing they are right.

Try reading the BoR once or twice.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    scapegoat, me thinks you are a regular poster here that signed up under a new handle simply to troll.
  • COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget, the warrant says they have to KNOCK and ANNOUNCE. So there should be no mistake in WHO's at the door.

COB
  • steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Don't call anyone if i think someone is at my door. This actuallly happened to a military man and his father in Lousianna. 3o clock in the mornin cops bust down the wrong door and arrest him. Hold him for resisting and it stuck. BS
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    scapegoat, I am afraid you are among those who have no objection to the police coming to your door, knocking and asking you if they can come in and look around. Some people in that situation will defend such unconstitutional action by saying "If you have nothing to hide, why wouldn't you let the police come in?"

You must be careful and suspicious of your government and it agents (police, etc.). And doing that does not make one a "radical." Reason being that American governments (federal, state, city) are supposed to be our servants, but too many politicians want to be our masters.