In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Illinois violates 2nd Amendment Again

simongirtysimongirty Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
Recently my step son, who is 20 years old, went to get his IL FOID card renewed after it had lapsed for a few years. On the application it had a special box that was required to be filled out. It stated that anyone under the age of 21 would have to have their parent or guarding sign the application stating that they would assume liability for any damages done by the applicant with a firearm. It went on to state that this section must be signed for the applicant to be able to own a firearm. This totally violated the applicants second amendment! This is what compliance gets you, MORE STUPID rules! The Firearms Owner Identification Card started out as supposedly benign program aimed at keeping firearms out of the hands of those who are on drugs, violent,or who are mentally too unstable to own a firearm. It has, predictably , turned into something all together different!
What happens if the applicants parents are dead? After they turn 18 they no longer need a guardian. What are they to do in that case? I have not heard of anyone challenging this. I was wondering if anyone else had any information of this illegal "requirement"?

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    So you're not really bichin' about the FOID card requirement, just a newly added section of it?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Intrusions upon our constitutionally guaranteed freedoms are incessant.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • simongirtysimongirty Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I been bitching about the whole FOID card thing for the last 30 years and look where it got me. I been hoping they would take it too far and hang themselves with it but I guess no one really cares. They would rather talk about how I should move or how I deserve what I get for not "doing something about it". Well I wrote my representatives and i vote in EVERY election. I guess the best I can hope for is for Obama to use the laws from his "home state" to draft a Federal Licensing Law and force the rest of the country to get off their rear ends and do something about this problem because it is clear that I alone have NO impact and historically on "forums" such as this one my "fellow Americans" would rather belittle me because I refuse to run away to another state than see this issue for what it really is.
    I would just like to know if any one has or is challenging this clearly unconstitutional rule?
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The box has been on FOID apps for the last 11 yrs, I don't agree with it either but then again I don't agree with most gun laws in this state.
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born in Illnoois and remember the FOID card system when it started. Left that State in 1979 to move to Florida. I have never looked back..
  • 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see this going national. How many of us 40 years ago thought we would need permission from the government to exercise our constitutional rights?

I have said it before, I bet the Brady Bunch gang were absolutely giddy when the Newtown shooting took place. It may very be the large scale emotional reaction they have been needing to do what they want. I'm not talking about an outright ban. Just the legislation to make it so hard to own a gun, that many will not bother.