In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SCOTUS

RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
Does the SCOTUS have the power to interpret the Constitution?

Comments

• RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Does the Constitution give the SCOTUS the power to strike down legislation as unconstitutional?

Post back up and have at it.
    edited November -1
    I was reading a little about the history of the supreme court today. Some of the justifications they have used over the years for some of thier rulings seem pretty flimsy. Might have been author, I don't know. It got me to thinking about Sotomayor nomination and gun rights. It will only take one more vote to eliminate gun rights as we see them. She will replace Souter(I think), so her vote would have been the same. But it seems as if Obamalamadingdong will get the chance to nominate another(as murphy's law applies) and he/she will almost certainly be anti gun rights. How big of a blow will this be and what are the chances that public will come out in an uproar. I think huge blow and another step closer total tyranny and not enough roar to make a difference.
  • COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on the 1803 case Marbury v. Madison, YES.

They are the final arbiter of what the Constitution means.

COB
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COBmmcmss

COB

I agree that in our republic, the SCOTUS is the final arbiter under normal circumstances. However, these are not normal times and I fear the shadow of tyranny is upon us.

If the POTUS and the executive branch choose to ignore the Constitution as written and the people do nothing, then the the POTUS and the executive branch are the the final arbiters of what the Constitution means.

If patriotic people rise up, rebel and prevail, then the patriots are final arbiters of what the Constitution means. In the end, the 3% may be the final arbiters of what the Constitution means. This will bring us full circle back to the Founders who fought and bled to give us the Constitution in the first place.
    don_t_tread_on_me_bumper_sticker-p128076614598969212trl0_400.jpg
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supreme means the end of the line...
  • fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage Supreme means the end of the line...

Thank goodness that they are elected by the people instead of being bought and paid for by some political entity. [:o)]
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

And when they supremely judge the 2a is no longer valid? Your response will be to quietly turn your guns in? Don't think that it can't or won't happen. Two more so-called progressives on the court and the world becomes a different place.

Will you give up or will you fight for what the Founders fought for?
  • fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still have relatives in Germany that were around when they were forced to turn in their weapons. One is said to still have some of his wrapped in oil cloth and stashed in a safe location.

Although I doubt that they will ever see the light of day again, or even if they would be able to obtain ammunition for them, and I am sure that there is a severe penalty for having these items "without permission" .....

Thought that occurred to me is that if this person still had these after all that has passed in Germany over the years .... Yeah, a person may be forced to surrender something that can be tracked to them, but most every American probably would have some version of a "liberator" by which to obtain a better weapon down the line.

I too could see where a person may choose the time and place to fight but as a freedom fighter as opposed to an individual stand.

[:p]
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matchshot
    quote:Originally posted by wpage

And when they supremely judge the 2a is no longer valid? Your response will be to quietly turn your guns in? Don't think that it can't or won't happen. Two more so-called progressives on the court and the world becomes a different place.

Will you give up or will you fight for what the Founders fought for?

Interesting question. Lets pray that decision never comes to pass.
    edited November -1

COB

Kinda like God?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,312 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky

COB

Kinda like God?
    Well, in their mind anyway.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:They are the final arbiter of what the Constitution means.

Cob is right....while being wrong.

The PEOPLE of America...the Sovereign, independent people...are the final 'decider'.

When the supreme court finally swings entirely to the left...the apparent only way they can go, it seems like...then the people will decide to become willing slaves...or they will take back America.
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HB is BACK!!!

I believe that we will see that happen much sooner than we ever anticipated. Breaking point is coming and I am starting to realize that even w/ prepping more than most, I have a long haul ahead of me.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,312 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    HB is BACK!!!

I believe that we will see that happen much sooner than we ever anticipated. Breaking point is coming and I am starting to realize that even w/ prepping more than most, I have a long haul ahead of me.
    Totally agree!