In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If Ron Paul Wins the Presidency

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
Do you believe he will null and void all gun laws. His stock answer to similar questions is to let each state decide. Would that mean that "assault style weapons" would still be illegal in California? What do you think?

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    No, but primarily because the office of POTUS does not hold the power to make or repeal laws.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    It has thr ability to repeal all regulations put in place I believe.

Might have the power to defund certian agencies to.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I just reviewed article II sections 1-4. I don't see the power to repeal enumerated there.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    Do you believe he will null and void all gun laws. His stock answer to similar questions is to let each state decide. Would that mean that "assault style weapons" would still be illegal in California? What do you think?

He couldn't do that if he tried. That would be unconstitutional and he wouldn't want to do anything unconstitutional, now would he?????[;)]
    It will take many elections to take back what we have lost and a 'nut' like Ron Paul will just make things worse than they are now.[V]
    As I have said numerous times, most are not seeing this election clearly. It is about the appointment of 2 to 4 new Supreme Court Justices plan and simple. We MUST get rid of Obama even if we elect the worst of the GOP candidates. That would be a start, but only a start![:(!]
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please understand I realize he cant just wave a magic wand and change things. He would have to work with congress and the senate. The question is theoretical, what would he try to do?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Please understand I realize he cant just wave a magic wand and change things. He would have to work with congress and the senate. The question is theoretical, what would he try to do?
    An excellent question and one little examined beyond the normal 'sound bite' view.

By use of the bully-pulpit of the POTUS and the prerogative of the veto pen, he would veto anti-constitutional legislation and via its use and the national stage, he would force the fact that many things were outside the bounds of constitutional federal-authority, squarely onto the radar screen of America.

This would foster a new awareness of what ills that the government routinely does, usually done behind the cover of their own wall of silence and with the assistance of a willing media.

He would be a firm and utterly consistent voice for governing within the limitations of the Constitution and publicly (for a change) and vocally oppose and call such fed-gov actions for what they are.

He would relentlessly beat the drum for an actual reduction of the size and scope of the fed-gov and its plethora of bureaucratic agencies and by doing so, his actions would excite and bring about a whole new crop of liberty-minded legislators/future legislators who would have a long-term positive effect.

He would be the driving force of major reductions in spending and by his ethic and his constitutionalism, he would strip away the faux-cover that both-wings of the party in the fed-gov currently use to 'debate' around the periphery of such issues and, rather, ensure that any such actions were forced into the bright-light of public attention, and even more importantly, a new public understanding.

Having a man with Dr. Paul's individualist/liberty-ethic, one who is a staunch constitutionalist, would be beneficial beyond measure.

He as POTUS, would be a beginning of the restoration of the Republic.

THAT is the value of a man such as Ron Paul. He could not bring about change alone, but his presence and voice and the constant attention it would bring on these most critical areas, would be the well-spring of a resurgence of a free, strong America, once again protecting the liberties of its citizens and freeing them to flower and prosper.

As I see it.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the States will decide
    edited November -1

That is exactly my point. He is NOT a leader or he would have motivated those he was worked with in congress for many years and made some of the changes he has been ranting about. He has NO creditability with anyone except the small group of loyal followers, like those here. And that just will not 'cut the mustard'![xx(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau

That is exactly my point. He is NOT a leader or he would have motivated those he was worked with in congress for many years and made some of the changes he has been ranting about. He has NO creditability with anyone except the small group of loyal followers, like those here. And that just will not 'cut the mustard'![xx(]
    Why should anyone have to be 'motivated' to uphold the Oath they took to support the Constitution, whilst opposing legislation against it?

Hate to say it, Jim, but that is THE single most ignorant thing I think I have ever read on these forums.

He has more credibility, integrity and courage than any man in Congress.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Why should anyone have to be 'motivated' to uphold the Oath they took to support the Constitution, whilst opposing legislation against it?

Hate to say it, Jim, but that is THE single most ignorant thing I think I have ever read on these forums.

He has more credibility, integrity and courage than any man in Congress.

Jeff,
    A leader MUST motivate people to get anything done. Those of us who are discussing this are self motivated. You nor I need to have anyone 'lead' us. But the VAST majority of people do NEED leadership, and Paul can't provide that no matter how much you agree with his beliefs nor how good of a person you think he is![|)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Jeff,
    A leader MUST motivate people to get anything done. Those of us who are discussing this are self motivated. You nor I need to have anyone 'lead' us. But the VAST majority of people do NEED leadership, and Paul can't provide that no matter how much you agree with his beliefs!Jim, I know you are sincere in your beliefs, but...

You miss the point I am making.

This is not policing, or the military. It is not corporate culture or another similar type of environment. This is political office, where all are 'elected' and most feel only allegiance to either 'party', or to the 'electorate'.

Only those who are in a position within the framework of 'party' have the ability to twist arms, offer favors, or power and influence, or money redirected to pet projects, to influence or 'lead' in such an environment.

That aside, there is no need of 'leadership' to compel those in Congress to fulfill THE most important duty before an elected official, that being, the solemn oath to support and defend the Constitution, sworn before God.

Nor is there any 'leadership' that would cause those who willfully violate their Oath, to go against what is clearly their ethic; that ethic which is opposite to the very things that the Oath demands, e.g. supporting and defending the Constitution.

There is no more chance of any type of 'leadership' causing these people to suddenly support the Constitution that there is of any type of 'leadership' causing a man like me, or like Dr. Paul, to go against that Oath to actually support and defend the Constitution and principles of liberty.

You either support and defend the Constitution via your strongly held beliefs and the Oath taken to do so, or you do not because you do not actually hold those beliefs and, rather, you merely mouthed the words because they were required and it is known that there is NO sanction for failing to uphold that Oath, or for actual open and willful violations of it.

Do you get it yet?

Dr. Paul is displaying and using the most important aspect of 'leadership' that he is in a position to use, that being, the power of 'leadership by example'.

The truth of all of this is there for all to see, if one but looks and dispassionately assesses. It has been so for decades.

This is why I take the absolute positions that I do. You are not going to 'bring along' those who are committed to big-government collectivism. Period.

We are left with drawing clear lines and standing upon clear positions which are outlined in the Constitution and which are based on the founding principles of liberty.

Drawing 'new' committed people into office is the realistic goal, not foolishly believing that somehow some sort of 'leadership' will bring committed enemies of the Constitution and liberty around to a polar opposite position.

Dr. Paul certainly can and certainly will inspire that to occur if he gains the office of POTUS, via the methodology I laid out in my earlier post in this thread.

Forest and trees, Jim.

*Edit...typos, spelling and structure.[:I]
    edited November -1
    Forest and trees is correct Jeff![;)]
    As I have said several times. You can't correct all the wrong doing you have described above in one fail swoop! RP can't change a thing because he has no creditability with the voters nor the people he works with. He, and you, are simply asking for to much to quick.
    I am sorry you can't see this. You are another one who has gotten hung up on ideology and lost touch with reality.
    Yes, forest and trees Jeff!![V]
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Back to the original topic; IF Ronny wins, he will be surrounded by the same old Sodom'n'Gomorrah hypocrites, money-grubbing Country Club politicians and mullets from both sides.
    There's not a damn thing he can do, constitutionally, to change one iota of what's already been passed as law.
    Unles he is willing to hand out Presidential Directives (or whatever they're called) to defund O'bammycare, re-fund Social Security, close the borders, authorize national carry, and make money squirt out his *; he will be no more than any other slickster with a cult following.
    Most of the things he'd have to do are things he's already said he WON'T DO (protect borders, ensure national safety with solid foreign policy, create solvency for our economy, change the constitution); so what's the difference between Ronny and any other politician that promises a lot during the campaign, and doesn't deliver once he's voted in?
    Y'all get out of the forest; you're scaring the trees!
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ron Paul is so damn old that IF he won he would never make his first term so I hope he has a damn good vice-president
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

He couldn't do that if he tried. That would be unconstitutional and he wouldn't want to do anything unconstitutional, now would he?????[;)]
    It will take many elections to take back what we have lost and a 'nut' like Ron Paul will just make things worse than they are now.[V]
    As I have said numerous times, most are not seeing this election clearly. It is about the appointment of 2 to 4 new Supreme Court Justices plan and simple. We MUST get rid of Obama even if we elect the worst of the GOP candidates. That would be a start, but only a start![:(!]
    It has taken many election cycles to get where were at now. Why believe it will get better by voting left and right? We all know what that has done for freedom.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Like one of the lesser turds would appoint judges who would follow, support or protect the constitution.

And you claim to be a realist?
    edited November -1
    As I have said several times. You can't correct all the wrong doing you have described above in one fail swoop! RP can't change a thing because he has no creditability with the voters nor the people he works with. He, and you, are simply asking for to much to quick.
    I am sorry you can't see this. You are another one who has gotten hung up on ideology and lost touch with reality.

The OP put forth "IF Ron Paul wins the Presidency", if he wins, how does he not have the support of and creditability with, the voters?
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Besides what has already been mentioned in this post regarding Paul's effectiveness once in office, I understand the limits regarding legislation already on the books but would he not be able to counter many of the unconstitutional Executive Orders? If he were able to address some of those draconian decrees I would count that also as victory.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buffalobo

Like one of the lesser turds would appoint judges who would follow, support or protect the constitution.

Prove me wrong, if you can!!!![;)]
    edited November -1

The OP put forth "IF Ron Paul wins the Presidency", if he wins, how does he not have the support of and creditability with, the voters?

Obama won, does he have creditability with the voters????
    Come back to the real world, PLEASE!!!!
    edited November -1

Just look to the past actions of any of the lesser turds. If past actions indicate future actions, any SCOTUS appts made would be no different than the current constitutional traitors we have now.

I can't prove you wrong cause you were not right to begin with.
    edited November -1

Obama won, does he have creditability with the voters????
    Come back to the real world, PLEASE!!!!

Jim, you are kind of ignoring the OP's scenario again, he is implying upon election not three years after as you reply with.

Upon his election a majority of American voters supported BHO and drank his kool-aid willingly. After three years and many misdeeds there are fewer supporters thus less credibility, but still enough to make him the front runner for POTUS.

So after winning a 2 way(third party candidate other than Ron Paul would be pretty much irrelevant)election, Ron Paul would indeed have credibility with the voters(he won, duh) until his deeds as POTUS caused a loss of (as have BHO's) or gain in credibility.
    edited November -1

Just look to the past actions of any of the lesser turds. If past actions indicate future actions, any SCOTUS appts made would be no different than the current constitutional traitors we have now.

I can't prove you wrong cause you were not right to begin with.
    Prove it, I guess you can't so you make light of it. Which makes me right and you wrong. I win by default. Thanks![8D]
    Give RP three years and he will be in the same boat as BO!!! Many voted against Bush, not for Obama. Well MANY have said they will vote against Obama, regardless of the nominee, and we could have the same results as 08. But this time it could be the 'extremist' from the other side![xx(] But he so extreme the voters will vote for the smooth talking liar from the left rather than the crazy talking right winger. Thus we all lose if RP gets the nod!!!![V]
    edited November -1
    Support for and advocacy for the Constitution, as written, and for the founding principles of individual liberty, makes one a 'nut-job' and 'crazy-talking'...got it, Jim.

Advocating for sane Austrian Economics, a non-interventionist foreign policy, constitutionally-limited government, free-markets, sound money and state-sovereignty, is 'extreme'...got it, Jim.

Think about the positions you are taking here, Jim.

Unbelievable...

Methinks it is YOU who may be the 'nut-job'. This is ME just being a 'realist' and assessing what you write, Jim.[;)]
    edited November -1
    You need to get your facts straight Jeff. Ron Paul is not the 'Constitution', he is a man, nothing more. And he is sure a long way from our founding fathers!![V] He has many good ideas, and many good traits, BUT he also has many bad points and traits.
    In your opinion the good outweigh the bad, in mine the bad outweigh the good.
    To each his own.[:)]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to get your facts straight Jeff. Ron Paul is not the 'Constitution', he is a man, nothing more. And he is sure a long way from our founding fathers!![V] He has many good ideas, and many good traits, BUT he also has many bad points and traits.

No one has ever suggested Paul is anything but an advocate for Constitutional principles, Jim. Your first three sentences are, well, silly.

I am forced to ask you specifics as to where Paul's stances differ from those fomented by the founders in the Constitution.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:As I have said numerous times, most are not seeing this election clearly. It is about the appointment of 2 to 4 new Supreme Court Justices plan and simple. We MUST get rid of Obama even if we elect the worst of the GOP candidates. That would be a start, but only a start!

According to this Romney's history on the judges he appointed as Gov isn't all that reassuring
    http://www.amycontrada.com/Romney_s_Judiciary.html
    edited November -1
    Jim, I see you studiously backed off you previous 'extremist' and 'nut-job' verbiage. Why is that?

I would like you to step up and tell me what about 'his advocacy', not about 'the man', that you find crazy, extreme, or nutty, please.

As I and others have said, over and over and over again, Ron Paul 'the man' is not the focus. Rather, it is the constitutional message he advances and the things related to limited-government and liberty that he advocates, all relating to the Constitution and principles of our founding, that myself and others support, advance and advocate.

It really is looking like you are emoting and being disingenuous, rather than thoughtful..
    edited November -1
    Jim, I see you studiously backed off you previous 'extremist' and 'nut-job' verbiage. Why is that?

I would like you to step up and tell me what about 'his advocacy', not about 'the man', that you find crazy, extreme, or nutty, please.

As I and others have said, over and over and over again, Ron Paul 'the man' is not the focus. Rather, it is the constitutional message he advances and the things related to limited-government and liberty that he advocates, all relating to the Constitution and principles of our founding, that myself and others support, advance and advocate.

It really is looking like you are emoting and being disingenuous, rather than thoughtful..
    No I have not. This 'extremist nut job' is what I see as 'bad'!
    And when ask if he saw himself in the oval office he said he did not. He is here to get Obama reelected, nothing more, nothing less!!![V]
    Jeff, I have had the misfortune to see first hand what war does to a country and it's people. And if you and others have not seen it first hand just look at Germany, or Europe in general, after WWII. I saw what war did to RVN. RP seem to think we need to wait until the 'war is on our shores' before we get involved. THIS IS CRAZY AND STUPID!!![:(!] We MUST fight our battles on others real estate if we want to avoid this damage and casualties on our land. It may sound hard, but life is hard. More reality for you idealists![;)]
    edited November -1

No I have not. This 'extremist nut job' is what I see as 'bad'!
    And when ask if he saw himself in the oval office he said he did not. He is here to get Obama reelected, nothing more, nothing less!!![V]
    Jeff, I have had the misfortune to see first hand what war does to a country and it's people. And if you and others have not seen it first hand just look at Germany, or Europe in general, after WWII. I saw what war did to RVN. RP seem to think we need to wait until the 'war is on our shores' before we get involved. THIS IS CRAZY AND STUPID!!![:(!] We MUST fight our battles on others real estate if we want to avoid this damage and casualties on our land. It may sound hard, but life is hard. More reality for you idealists![;)]
    I really do not hold out much hope for you, Jim.

A correction on one of you your posted pieces of MISINFORMATION...Context can truly be your friend when posting things.

Paul was asked this question...quote:"When you lay your head on your pillow at night, do you see yourself in the Oval Office?"his response... quote:Paul responded simply: "Not really."

I think that YOU are out to get Obama reelected, nothing more, nothing less.
    edited November -1
    No Jeff, If you 'saviour in chief' RP gets the nomination I would even vote for him to stop our current 'dictator in chief'.
    Now if RP does not get the nomination will you vote for whom ever does get the nomination or will you vote for Obama through RP???????????
    Don't go politician on me, answer the question!![}:)]
    edited November -1
    No Jeff, If you 'saviour in chief' RP get the nomination I would even vote for him to stop our current 'dictator in chief'.
    Now if RP does not get the nomination will you vote for whom ever does get the nomination or will you vote for Obama through RP???????????
    Don't go politician on me, answer the question!![}:)]
    Jeff,
    Your quote is correct. Paul does not believe he will get elected, so he is simply the 'spoiler' who will get Obama reelected.
    You just said the same thing I did. Why not admit the truth and stop spinning it???????????[:(]
  • Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1

Ten days without a response. What a surprise!

He is from the "free state" of Winston, maybe it's in the genes.

Came back to the thread and still no response. Must not have anything to say. Go figure.[xx(][xx(]

He must agree with everything Ron Paul stands/has stood for for 30 years. Or he's too ashamed to admit he doesn't. Or he doesn't really know what Paul advocates. Or he's to simple to grasp basic concepts or follow a conversation.

I'm thinking simple.[;)] Trust me, I've been through Winston County.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson

Ten days without a response. What a surprise!

He is from the "free state" of Winston, maybe it's in the genes.

Any response would be a side step anyway, or off on some other issue.
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Dr. Paul is a leader on gun issues.
    RON PAUL'S PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT STANDS

As a congressman, Ron Paul has never once voted for any piece of legislation that would infringe on gun owners' rights or weaken the Second Amendment.

The inalienable right to keep and bear arms is not only essential to a free society, but it is the guardian of every other right.

During his time in Congress, Ron Paul has worked tirelessly to restore the Second Amendment rights of all Americans by:

* Introducing legislation to repeal the "Brady Bill" and the so-called "Assault Weapons Ban."

* Authoring legislation to end U.S. membership in the anti-gun United Nations to ensure American tax dollars are not used to fund global gun control schemes like the so-called "Small Arms Treaty."

* Writing a bill that would allow pilots and specially trained law enforcement personnel to carry firearms in order to protect airline passengers and help prevent future 9/11-style attacks.

With our gun rights under constant attack from our own government and the anti-gun United Nations, as well as the threat of rising crime due to our country's economic woes, Congressman Paul believes it has never been more important that our President be 100% committed to defending our God-given right to keep and bear arms.

In Congress, Ron Paul has stood as a champion for law-abiding gun owners, and he will continue protecting your Second Amendment rights as President.
    edited November -1
    If he were elected, God forbid, he would not do that because it would be unconstitutional, and he would not have that authority. [;)]
    You with deaf ears need to start listing, I am getting tired of educating you all!!![;)]
    edited November -1
    If he were elected, God forbid, he would not do that because it would be unconstitutional, and he would not have that authority. [;)]
    You with deaf ears need to start listing, I am getting tired of educating you all!!![;)]
    Unbelievable.

That aside, there actually is great educational value in what you post, Jim. It just isn't along the lines that you think it to be.[:)]
  • RTKBARTKBA Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He could use a Presidential pardon to get around bad laws. President John F. Kennedy used this power to basically nullify the narcotics Act of 1956.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/presidential-pardon7.htm
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Dr Ron Paul wins the presidency. This country will be back on the right track...

Where the founders intended us to be.
    edited November -1
    I think is is interesting to note that the progressives refer to Paul supporters as their, the progressives, 'useful idiots'!![;)]