In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Veterans' gun rights

GoatroperGoatroper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
Does anyone here have any more background on this? I'm not involved with the VA so have no first-hand knowledge on this, and this is the first I've heard of it.

I'm cynical (just a little) where the current administration is concerned, and I expect this kind of back-door approach to gun control. But there's not a lot of detail/background here. Anyone know how widespread this is?

BTW, the article at the link has links to the articles quoted, and a video of an interview with the Irelans.

From: http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2010/09/veterans-having-their-guns-taken-away.html#comments

9/05/2010
Veterans having their guns taken away
If this story about the VA and Homeland Security denying veterans concealed handgun permits is true, it is very disturbing.

Last month, at my VA med visit ,they asked me exactly the same questions [posed to a friend] and I asked them why they never asked them before and their answer was that it is a new policy that they must ask all vets!

From a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer:
I had a Doctor's appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions:
1. Did I feel stressed?
2. Did I feel threatened?
3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered `yes' to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

The first two questions seem like absurd reasons for losing a permit. Even the third seems problematic. There is a big difference between feeling like harming someone and actually thinking about doing it.

Now it appears as if local media around the country are reporting on examples of other reasons that veterans are having their guns taken away.

Sgt. Wayne Irelan re-enlisted in the Army National Guard after September 11th.

He was severely injured in Iraq and awarded the Purple Heart. But now his second amendment rights have been taken away.

"I really feel betrayed," Sgt. Irelan told 5NEWS.

A year ago the Irelan's began receiving a small stipend from Veterans Affairs because Lana had to take over the family's finances.

"How many husbands do you know in America that pay the bills? There's not very many," Lana Irelan told 5NEWS.

The V.A. declared Wayne Irelan incompetent and now his right to own a gun is gone.

"It's wrong. Laws need to be changed. They need to look at individuals and not stereotype them as some sort of mad man," Sgt. Irelan said.

Irelan has post traumatic stress disorder from the Iraq war, but his wife says he has never been violent. Lana Irelan told 5NEWS his diagnosis is not a legitimate reason for his gun rights to be taken away.

"I was there when they gave him his purple heart for fighting for that right to bear arms, and they are stripping it away," Lana said, her eyes tearing up.

The couple didn't know Wayne's gun rights had been terminated until they went to get a gun out of pawn. Days later Wayne got a letter from the Arkansas State Police saying his concealed carry permit had been revoked. The ATF has told the Irelans that they could go to jail if a firearm is found in their home. . . .

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ATF has told the Irelans that they could go to jail if a firearm is found in their home. . . .[/blue]

[/quote]
    Thanks for your service to your country. And taking one for the team. Here's your purple heart and a few hundred a month. Some payolla for taking away your rights.

What a country!
  • Options
    StoBtruppenStoBtruppen Member Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is simply amazing and I will never ever understand why these individuals don't understand and refuse to comprehend the 4 words of the 2A/RKBA, "Shall not be Infringed", its just amazing at how ignorant and treacherous people really are, its right there...
    As for me I am a wounded veteran and will carry concealed whether they give me a license or not as it is not open to interpretation or compromise and are God given, forefather established, rights(not privileges); which is and always shall be our beloved constitution of and by our republic and its people and if they don't like it then they can pry it from our cold dead fingers, "Molon Labe"!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad truth. Gov only cares when you can do for them. Once you are used goods like a Vet. They will turn you off like a old hat.
    Vet rights are sadly like 2nd amendment rights. 2nd hand priority. These good men and women who have done thier duty for God and country are 2nd hand goods.
    Unfair!
  • Options
    StoBtruppenStoBtruppen Member Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well it must have been short lived as I am looking at going back in again and volunteering for either of the 2 present vacation spots Iraq or Afghanistan as one the mos's that I hold they are in need of and especially for Veterans.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They asked me the same questions last time I was there. At work a returning warrior has been delayed 70% of the time when buying a gun.

Lance
  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink
    They asked me the same questions last time I was there. At work a returning warrior has been delayed 70% of the time when buying a gun.

Lance

Now that blows, do they list the reasons?