In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Obama Signs Indefinite Detention Into Law

sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/president-obama-signs-indefinite-detention-law

President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) today, allowing indefinite detention to be codified into law. As you know, the White House had threatened to veto an earlier version of the NDAA but reversed course shortly before Congress voted on the final bill. While President Obama issued a signing statement saying he had "serious reservations" about the provisions, the statement only applies to how his administration would use it and would not affect how the law is interpreted by subsequent administrations.

The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield.

Under the Bush administration, similar claims of worldwide detention authority were used to hold even a U.S. citizen detained on U.S. soil in military custody, and many in Congress now assert that the NDAA should be used in the same way again. The ACLU believes that any military detention of American citizens or others within the United States is unconstitutional and illegal, including under the NDAA. In addition, the breadth of the NDAA's detention authority violates international law because it is not limited to people captured in the context of an actual armed conflict as required by the laws of war. Call and write your congress person.

Comments

• Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That and the ememy repatriotation act will effectivly overthrow the constitution and will bring us into total government like the Enabling acts did in Nazi Germany.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another step on the path...
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    ....and the sheep quietly graze their way through the aisles of walmart and best buy
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    ....and the sheep quietly graze their way through the aisles of walmart and best buy
    Yes, while anxiously preparing for the big one......"Superbowl Sunday" that is
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Yes, while anxiously preparing for the big one......"Superbowl Sunday" that is
    [/quote]

Superbowl sunday ...... the day we rent something to watch and maybe even acoupe of decent movies from Blockbuster or pay per view and get out the superbowl of popcorn. [:D][8D]

ball games of any type are the most boring things - far more interesting to watch paint dry or pick the rocks out of my tires. Yea, lots of people go gaga over them but I left those kids games in grade school.

Just my opinion and I'm stickin to it. [^]

[/quote] I' Agree, better things to do than be an arm chair ref.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congress could pass death sentences on superbowl sunday to be carried out immediately on anyone being declared an enemy of the state for any reason....and no one would notice
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Superbowl Sunday is the biggest joke of the year.

I like football, don't get me wrong, but its all about the ads, the halftime show, pure unadluterated consumerism gone bonkers.

MY idea of a great football game? Going to West Point, and watching Army play Air Force. IT MEANS SOMETHING.

spasmcreek is right.

you could pretty much have a coup, and no one would notice, as long as the live feed from Indianpolis was not disturbed.