In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATF?s latest gun grab

EMCSEMCS Member Posts: 4,063
ATF's latest gun grab
Agency reduces due process for seizing firearms
he Obama administration is making it easier for bureaucrats to take away guns without offering the accused any realistic due process. In a final rule published last week, the Justice Department granted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) authority to "seize and administratively forfeit property involved in controlled-substance abuses." That means government can grab firearms and other property from someone who has never been convicted or even charged with any crime.

It's a dangerous extension of the civil-forfeiture doctrine, a surreal legal fiction in which the seized property - not a person - is put on trial. This allows prosecutors to dispense with pesky constitutional rights, which conveniently don't apply to inanimate objects. In this looking-glass world, the owner is effectively guilty until proved innocent and has the burden of proving otherwise. Anyone falsely accused will never see his property again unless he succeeds in an expensive uphill legal battle.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

http://tiny.cc/ctiakw

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Your link is dead.

Wanted to check this cause I thought it was very old news.
  • EMCSEMCS Member Posts: 4,063
    edited November -1
    grumpygy " Your link is dead.

Wanted to check this cause I thought it was very old news."

Thanks for letting me know
    Not sure why the link is dead for you , works for me any way here is the direct link
    Not responsible for BAD Reporting[:)][:p]

GHEI: ATF's latest gun grab
    Agency reduces due process for seizing firearms

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Thursday, September 6, 2012

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/atfs-latest-gun-grab/
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    civil forfeiture laws are one of the most egregious abuses of power and border not just on unconstitutional, but anti-constitutional.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you have a communist in Charge things like this happens in my opinion
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is old news. Been done for years. If you are stoped in a routine traffic stop and have more cash on you than the officer thinks is appropriate they can consficate it and good luck getting it back. It is assumed it is drug money. Lots of us carry large sums of cash on occasion for perfectly legal reasons. Buying guns, cars, antiques etc.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    This is old news. Been done for years. If you are stoped in a routine traffic stop and have more cash on you than the officer thinks is appropriate they can consficate it and good luck getting it back. It is assumed it is drug money. Lots of us carry large sums of cash on occasion for perfectly legal reasons. Buying guns, cars, antiques etc.

Just don't tell them you're carrying cash. Don't tell them anything. You don't have to tell them anything or talk to anyone you don't want to.
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they want your guns all they have to do is plant some weed on your property.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Staying low keyed and existing below the radar is about all anyone could do...

It's coming people.... Get prepared. [V]