In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pickinup

keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
If I wanted to try to do the bidding of Obama and try to tear down the NRA I would have posted as you have.

But I don't want to tear down the NRA as you have.

If you really cared about the Second Amendment You would be foolish to do that.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keith,

Before you find yourself lambasted from many sides, I only wish to point out a couple of things.

The second Amendment has nothing to do with self-protection, sport shooting, or hunting. It is about the preservation of our state of freedom. The NRA has worked hand-in-hand with Governments to implement regulations and restrictions that while they confirm access to some arms, obviously include infringements on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

There are two schools of thought. That which the NRA takes where compromise of the 2nd is acceptable if it meets their definition of contributing to the greater good. The other school will suggest that opening the door to restriction and regulation codifies the power of government to restrict and regulate whatever they can get 51% of the folks in DC to agree with.

Folks of the second school have become tired of the NRA participating in and sponsoring legislation that has for 90 years eliminated the very essence of the 2nd Amendment while at the same time advertising themselves as its standard bearer. This grandstanding has led to at least a couple of generations of Americans believing that reasonable gun control is Constitutional, and that limiting government's reach when promoted by the NRA is the radical 'gun nut' position.

Obviously it is not, though Wayne and Co. promote that notion.

My pet peeve is NRA Radio talking head Cam Edwards and his incessant use of the phrase 'Right to Carry Permit Holder'.

I ask you; what individual right requires a permit?

It is this disconnect that is disturbing. It is the promulgation of this disconnect by the NRA that is destroying the 2nd Amendment.

If the NRA would have stuck with Safety Training, competitions, etc. there would not be a problem. The active distorting of this issue by them, however, creates a very significant issue in the hearts and minds of those that understand why the 2nd Amendment should be kept pure.

Don
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thread lambasting me is enough.