In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A shame.....

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
....that this sub-forum is so dead. There used to be some highly spirited discussion here. IMO, it was better than the GD.

The spirit of Highball and lt496 live on though.

Edited for grammar.

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    ....that this sub-forum is so dead. There used to be some highly spirited discussion here. IMO, it was better than the GD.

The spirit of Highball and lt496 live on though.

Edited for grammar.

Yep, totally agree. I'm sure however, that you can remember the hard time patriots/constitution supporters were given by SOME of the administrators.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure do.

If you have not read, from the Mr Perfect post in GD, 'Unintended Consequences', you should check it out.

While I'm not advocating that course of action, it may not be much of a stretch for it to happen.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Ok thanks, I'll check it out.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is a shame that most of the patriots and constitutionalists were ran off (banned) because they believed in what this country was founded on.
    There are a few left, but it sure is quiet in here.

It is also a shame, that one of our "upstanding?" members decided to use this forum for holding his personal auction "watch list"
    How sad is that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

It is also a shame, that one of our "upstanding?" members decided to use this forum for holding his personal auction "watch list"
    How sad is that.
    Sadly there are "me first" people everywhere anymore it seems....
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball, lt496, wsfiredude, and freemind were valuable contributors to the discussion of individual liberty vs. the collective mentality. In their own way, so were TR Fox and Jim Rau, as they strongly believed that their approach was the best way to maintain the rights that we have left.

While discussions at time became reduced to squabbles, in reviewing those that occurred on this sub-forum 6 - 10 years ago, one is uplifted as to the depth of discussion and thought that went into a lot of the posts.

Efforts to re-kindle that spirit have failed of late and we are all worse off because of it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I review those old posts from time to time. Just so I do not forget.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Several of us who defend 2A are here, but I think all of the more outspoken who only wanted "gun rights" either don't post any more or were banned. Either way, the number of 2A defenders seems to outweigh the grabbers by a bigger margin than before. And that's a good thing, IMO.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All those former folks did was complain about the way the 34 ,68 ban was. For cripes sake enough. Complaining about past gun law is useless. Then on top of it..start some ignorant canary a** group on a gun forum to do something about it. Yeah right. Like they all were some high and mighty individuals that thought they had more 2nd amendment rights than anyone else.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    All those former folks did was complain about the way the 34 ,68 ban was. For cripes sake enough. Complaining about past gun law is useless. Then on top of it..start some ignorant canary a** group on a gun forum to do something about it. Yeah right. Like they all were some high and mighty individuals that thought they had more 2nd amendment rights than anyone else.

Pointing out the flaws in existing legislation informs those that are ignorant of the underlying principles of freedom and liberty that are being infringed upon by said legislation. There are millions of people that mindlessly accept these laws as Constitutional and proper. Providing a little insight as to why this is questionable is not complaining, and it will perhaps motivate some to move from ignorance to an informed position. Some, once they have had the chance to inform themselves may not change their belief, but some will, and that is a big plus for liberty.

You may or may not be aware, S-F, but I started the 'Canary *' as a joke in response to a comment made by former member tallcharlie.

Some took it a little more seriously than others, but for the most part it was tongue-in-cheek. One would think the name would give it away, but apparently not all understood.

To be accepted, however, one did have to display a certain reverence for the concept that the 2nd Amendment is a guarantee of individual freedom and liberty, and is not a simple 'gun rights' addition to the Constitution.

In all candor, you have demonstrated that you would fail this very basic test.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Pointing out the flaws in existing legislation informs those that are ignorant of the underlying principles of freedom and liberty that are being infringed upon by said legislation. There are millions of people that mindlessly accept these laws as Constitutional and proper. Providing a little insight as to why this is questionable is not complaining, and it will perhaps motivate some to move from ignorance to an informed position. Some, once they have had the chance to inform themselves may not change their belief, but some will, and that is a big plus for liberty.

You may or may not be aware, S-F, but I started the 'Canary *' as a joke in response to a comment made by former member tallcharlie.

Some took it a little more seriously than others, but for the most part it was tongue-in-cheek. One would think the name would give it away, but apparently not all understood.

To be accepted, however, one did have to display a certain reverence for the concept that the 2nd Amendment is a guarantee of individual freedom and liberty, and is not a simple 'gun rights' addition to the Constitution.

This NRA member knows exactly what the Constitution reads. However I don't play children's games on what it says. LMAO at your ignorance of starting such Nonsense of an elite bunch of morons that think they know more than others .
    edited November -1

This NRA member knows exactly what the Constitution reads. However I don't play children's games on what it says. LMAO at your ignorance of starting such Nonsense of an elite bunch of morons that think they know more than others .

I have no reason to doubt that you, as an NRA member, posses the ability to read the Constitution. If, as an NRA member, you accept the NRA's positions over the years regarding the infringement upon our Second Amendment Rights, you fully support playing games with what it says.

And with what it means.

There is no thinking I know more than others. Most folks here understand what the 2nd Amendment says and why it was originally adopted. Most have, however, accepted that it needs to be modified to better fit with today's societal issues and fears.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how people believe they are safer today because of any law on the books regarding firearms. Sure, folks will get up in arms if they think something they own or want to own will be prohibited, but at the same time accept most if not all existing restrictions, background checks, etc.

Apparently these prohibitions and restrictions are accepted because people feel safer; feel like they are being pre-emptively protected by government. You have to be blind to not see where this has been heading for the past 30 years.

Do you feel safer with Big Brother's arms around you?

I don't.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    I reckon you would love to live in America as a third world nation. Your complaining gets no where. No where. No where. Now leave your gun at the sheriff's office while in Tombstone.
    edited November -1
    I reckon you would love to live in America as a third world nation. Your complaining gets no where. No where. No where. Now leave your gun at the sheriff's office while in Tombstone.

I am curious as to why you think that living with the rights codified in our Constitution would turn the US into a third world country.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1

I am curious as to why you think that living with the rights codified in our Constitution would turn the US into a third world country.

Folks like you and all that complain could be classified as I want to be a Sovereign Citizen but no balls to break the law. Talk is cheap , but you always seem to want to go back to the way it is. Or in a nut shell , the above former folks are nothing more than liking to stir the pot.. but the pot is empty. So they take their ball and go home because they didn't get their way.
    edited November -1

Folks like you and all that complain could be classified as I want to be a Sovereign Citizen but no balls to break the law. Talk is cheap , but you always seem to want to go back to the way it is. Or in a nut shell , the above former folks are nothing more than liking to stir the pot.. but the pot is empty. So they take their ball and go home because they didn't get their way.

Such a dismissive little fellow, aren't we?

There are constructive ways to effect change.

Education is one.

Supporting groups that recognize the individual nature of the 2nd Amendment is another.

I personally doubt that we will go back to the way it is, but if one believes it is a worthy cause, it is worth spending time and money to move the needle that way when possible. There have been a significant number of laws overturned by suits filed by the GOA that address basic 2nd Amendment principles.

At the moment, we are losing the battle, as many gun owners believe it is more important to compromise the things they do not personally think is important so as to continue having government permission to keep that which is important to them.

It is a position fraught with danger, of course, as each compromise grants more power to governments, and confirms that governments have the power to restrict or prohibit virtually anything of which the barest of majorities fears.

I will not comment as to whether I have or have not broken any laws, but it is become very apparent that if Constitutional constraints are not placed upon government, I will probably in breach of a law or two in the not too distant future.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1

Such a dismissive little fellow, aren't we?

There are constructive ways to effect change.

Education is one.

Supporting groups that recognize the individual nature of the 2nd Amendment is another.

I personally doubt that we will go back to the way it is, but if one believes it is a worthy cause, it is worth spending time and money to move the needle that way when possible. There have been a significant number of laws overturned by suits filed by the GOA that address basic 2nd Amendment principles.

At the moment, we are losing the battle, as many gun owners believe it is more important to compromise the things they do not personally think is important so as to continue having government permission to keep that which is important to them.

It is a position fraught with danger, of course, as each compromise grants more power to governments, and confirms that governments have the power to restrict or prohibit virtually anything of which the barest of majorities fears.

I will not comment as to whether I have or have not broken any laws, but it is become very apparent that if Constitutional constraints are not placed upon government, I will probably in breach of a law or two in the not too distant future.

You then are the reason why the NRA, and others have to continually fight to keep what we have on the books, and NOT back you breaking the previous law and make other gun owners look bad. However break the law and Lose your rights to possess or hunt with a firearm.
    edited November -1
    You then are the reason why the NRA, and others have to continually fight to keep what we have on the books, and NOT back you breaking the previous law and make other gun owners look bad. However break the law and Lose your rights to possess or hunt with a firearm.

You have pointed out the problem better than could I.

'Keep what we have on the books'.

as compared to:

'Shall not be infringed'.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1

as compared to:

Go ahead and break the law... I dare you. Both the 68 and 34 gun control law is probably older than most folks on this forum. Ignorant folks like you think you are higher and greater than the almighty. I call y'all head cases... mental ignorant folks that need to be on a watch list, that think the law does not apply to them. Type on here you have an unregistered machine gun, or something illegal. Shall not be infringed belongs to everyone Just not you. The last time I looked I had a gun safe full of firearms that were legal all the way up to Uncle Sam having my picture in Washington. I am not infringed and every type of firearm I would want to purchase is available. Anything. Got it. I doubt it.
    edited November -1

as compared to:

Go ahead and break the law... I dare you. Both the 68 and 34 gun control law is probably older than most folks on this forum. Ignorant folks like you think you are higher and greater than the almighty. I call y'all head cases... mental ignorant folks that need to be on a watch list, that think the law does not apply to them. Type on here you have an unregistered machine gun, or something illegal. Shall not be infringed belongs to everyone Just not you. The last time I looked I had a gun safe full of firearms that were legal all the way up to Uncle Sam having my picture in Washington. I am not infringed and every type of firearm I would want to purchase is available. Anything. Got it. I doubt it.

I fail to understand why you would think anyone who disputes the Constitutionality of the 34, 68, and 86 Federal gun laws thinks they do not apply to them. The problem is that they do apply to all of us, and all are perfect examples of infringement upon what should be a basic right.

The 'I have mine' argument may make you feel better, but it glosses over the underlying problem of ever increasing governmental over-reach and control.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Abiding by the laws on the books, my rights have been and continue to be infringed. That is why I educate and support those that fight to have laws overturned. Some here think they are immune. I laugh at them.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    I am laughing at you even thinking that you will get any of the 3 above overturned.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A perfect example of why we are where we are.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    A perfect example of why we are where we are.

Well the 1968 gun control act is now 50 yrs. old. A lot of folks were not even born when it came about. It regulated mail order firearms and serialization on new firearms. Now the folks wanting to overturn it and the 34 or 86 acts... I suggest they complain about paying taxes and get taxes revoked..no more taxes ever.. and go after the IRS. It is going to get them about the same results.
    edited November -1
    I am laughing at you even thinking that you will get any of the 3 above overturned.
    It's ok, I wasn't counting on support from dim-witted fudds like you who can't even find the word infringe in a dictionary, let alone have any clue what it means.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    It's ok, I wasn't counting on support from dim-witted fudds like you who can't even find the word infringe in a dictionary, let alone have any clue what it means.
    [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

Y'all need some of this

48372306-1504832119619172-5845210323874742272-n.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

Y'all need some of this

Feel free to demonstrate otherwise any time now. The floor is yours again.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Admiral Nelson, is that you?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1