In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38 spl sr brass

I have had for a number of years approx. 35 empty brass casings that are headstamped "Western 38 spl sr". I assume the 'sr' means semi-rimmed. Does anyone know what weapon they are used in? Have no use for them but didn't want to throw them away because someone may need them. Could they be used for 38amu? Or maybe a substitute for 351wsl? Thanks

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do they compare to a standard 38spl and a 9mm Luger case?
    I'm wondering about the possibilty of them being either 38Auto/38Super or the 35slr (shorter, older version of the 351slr).
    Rim diameter, body diameter (above rim/extractor groove) and case length should lock it down.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Thanks Tailgunner, It is closer to the 35wsl. I'll give you the measurements as best I can, hope you can understand the way I describe it:
    Length 1.145
    Rim dia. .400
    Extractor groove is deep and tapered (like an Auto)
    and measures .342
    just forward of the extractor groove
    measures .380 and tapers to .375 at the neck
    Bullet dia.(as best as I can measure) is approx..348 (same as a sized 38 spl)
    These measurements make it longer than the 38 super or 9mm,about the same length as the 38 spl. If I knew how, I would include pictures, but can't figure out how to get them in. I could e-mail them to you if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks for your reply.
    edited November -1
    I won't be near my referances (or sample cartridges) until Friday, if you can wait until than (and no one else provides a answer) I'll do some looking and measuring for you.

Whittemore
    edited November -1
    Thanks Tailgunner, I've had these for 5 or 6 years, another few days will not make any difference !!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    peabo,

I sent you an e-mail so that you can send the photos off to me so that I can post them for the forum.

Here is something to consider as far as this case is concerned. In my files of little known pieces of information, I ran across the notation for the .38 Super which got translated to 9x33mm SR.

.38 Super (9x33 mm SR)

I don't know if this helps but it is a notation from a legitimate source.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nononsense
    YOU'VE GOT MAIL !!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got her so without any further delay...

302153.jpg

L to R 38super 38spl sr (the case in question) 38 special 40S&W

Here is the body of the e-mail:

Hell-o Nononsense, thanks for the e-Mail.
    Please find in attachment picture of cartridge case in question. For comparison, from left to right: 38super 38spl sr (the case in question) 38 special 40S&W. Extractor groove is similar to 38super and the 40S&W which makes me tend to believe it is for a semi-auto. (if you can see that clearly in the pictures). Notice that it is the same length as the 38spl.
    Also in your reply you mentioned 9x33mm. Could that have been a typo, my 38super measures 23 mm(approx) rather than 33mm?
    Thanks for your interest, these things have been bugging me for years !! If the pictures didn't transmit clearly, let me know and I will try again.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This looks similar to the 38AMU. 38 Specials with rims turned down to work in a 1911 for target shooting.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971
    edited November -1
    Thanks dg101win In my initial posting I mentioned that and having never seen one(cartridge or firearm) wasn't sure. These appear not to be 38 spl with the head turned because they have an extractor groove that the 38spl does not have. I still think they are 38AMU. These have a "Western" headstamp so I know there must be a lot more out there somewhere !!
    AFSC 43270 not retired but 8 1/2 years service (TSgt)
    NRA Life Member
    Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have your answer. Thanks for the assist gentlemen.

BTW the 35slr is also (visualy anyway) the same length as a 38spl, but the extractor cut angle is flatter (total groove length is longer) and not quite as deep.

Whittemore
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to look at my meager cartridge collection. I think I have a couple pieces of AMU brass.
    AFSC 43270? I retired in 91 and even forget my old AFSC. Mine was crew chief worked on B-52G,EC121's,T-29,KC135-A,R,RT,D,EC-135.
    The EC-121's show how long ago I was in.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971