In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Prarie dog hunting out west

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Hey all,

Im going out west this summer to go prarie dog hunting for the first time. I am taking my .22-250 as a main gun and the .243 as a backup. Im going to shoot 55 Gr. Ballstic tips out of the .22-250, but am not sure about the .243, thinking about going 55 Gr. Ballistic tips in that as well. What bullet weight would you guys that have done this before recommend?
Thanks

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    55's are great.

But, if there is wind, you might want to go a touch heavier.

Where, out west, will you be going?
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As of right now it looks like somewhere in the SW part of South Dakota. I'm not the planning the trip so im not sure if they have an exact location picked out or not yet. You know of any good areas out there dcloco?
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    Hey all,

Im going out west this summer to go prarie dog hunting for the first time. I am taking my .22-250 as a main gun and the .243 as a backup. Im going to shoot 55 Gr. Ballstic tips out of the .22-250, but am not sure about the .243, thinking about going 55 Gr. Ballistic tips in that as well. What bullet weight would you guys that have done this before recommend?
    Thanks

Just in case of wind my personal pick would be 55's in the 223 and 70's in the 243. Might as well as be using a heavier bullet in the bigger caliber in case of the wind. As usual dcloco's all over it; sound advice from that guy is the norm.
    edited November -1
    will270 - I got you BS'd!! LOL

I would lean towards some 69 or 75's in the 22-250 for wind.

I have been shooting my 223 some in the last couple of weeks. I am not at the top of the speed charts, but close (rifle likes most, if not all bullets, towards the top of the loads).

69 gr Sierra HPBT's at 3000 fps, group better, through MY rifle, in 15-25 mph winds, than 40 Nosler BT's, 52, 53, & 55's.

Of note, if you are going to try some 55's, I REALLY like the Remington 50 & 55 PLHP's. I purchase a hundred of each about 6 months ago, because they were cheap. I will be purchasing a LOT more in the future.

Very nice kills on prairie dogs @ 500-550 yards. I was surprised, to say the least.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the dogs are becomming rare, please leave them alone.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:But, if there is wind, you might want to go a touch heavier. IF ?????????????????????????????? Have you ever been to the Dakotas?[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] Elevation is usually easier to compensate for than windage.
    edited November -1
    LOL! I was born in Miles City, Montana. Close enough? Now live in Nebraska.

(hehehe...I have you surrounded!!!!)
  • dogmandogman Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gotta tell ya, we had some darn good colonies in the plains of Colorado. Lived up in the NE corner and could easily shoot 'em from 30 to 300 yards. When they get gun shy up close, move out and vise versa. My bro has a 22-250, .22, I shot a .270 w/ custom loads and had a great time. Nice little clouds of red mist. Good luck teaching those old 'dogs some new tricks!