In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62x39 brass worth saving?

I reload pistol right now but not anything else. Is there much value in saving my 7.62x39 brass for resale? I'm hitting the range tomorrow and will have close to 80 cases of once fired Fiocchi brass.

Comments

• dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cost of shipping is the issue. If you can save the brass until you have about 200 then the shipping costs are a reasonable portion of the price. USPS flat rate priority mail box is now about $9 to anywhere in the US. I think you can get 10 cents a piece including shipping or maybe a little more so for 200 to 250 you can get $10 to $15 plus shipping.

Tim
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the price of Wolf Ammo has jumped $1.00 a box of 20 it would be valuable for reloaders.
    edited November -1
    I just saw an auction on that other auction site with 7.62 brass going for a bunch more than I had indicated.

Tim
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, absolutely. Even brass I don't reload gets sold on the auction. Even berdan primed brass I save and take to my scrap dealer. I get about $15 for a 5 gal. bucket, and have 2-3 buckets per year. That's a nice steak dinner or another couple boxes of ammo!
    edited November -1
    Jonk

Does you scrap dealer still take ammo brass? Mine said the smelter won't take it anymore because of all the steel cases and live ammo problems.

Tim
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, he does- but I only put brass in it and no steel. And its all brass I've personally shot. I recycle duds by pulling bullets. There might be a few live primers in there if it is from a dud (and by live I mean an old anemic primer that didn't go off, and I've pulled the bullets and dumped the powder so the snap wouldn't be any worse than from a small firecracker while smelting) but otherwise its clean stuff. He's never balked, anyhow. Steel cases are put in a seperate bucket for recycling. I don't have as many of those though, maybe 1 bucket per 2 or 3 years. At least he did 2 months ago last time I took him a load! Hope he hasn't changed!
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have never had a problem selling brass
    like jonk said it is all clean. and if there is a primer that is alive i put some oil in the case
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Yes, absolutely. Even brass I don't reload gets sold on the auction. Even berdan primed brass I save and take to my scrap dealer. I get about $15 for a 5 gal. bucket, and have 2-3 buckets per year. That's a nice steak dinner or another couple boxes of ammo!

You need to find a new scrap dealer. They are paying $1.20 locally for small quantities. my average bucket weighs 50-60#.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JONK - scrap guy is hosing you. $68.70 here for (1) 5 gallon bucket and a coffee can!
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I have to find a new scrap dealer. I was checking to see if maybe they were all like mine. He has not taken my ammo brass in about a year. I have more than a hundred pounds to unload. I pull the bullets on duds and dump the powder. I have never included steel cases in my ammo brass. I am afraid that all the local scrap dealers use the same smelter and I will get the same story but I guess I should start making some calls.

Thanks
    Tim