In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

once fired 223 brass

I received an order of 4000 rounds of suppsedly once fired brass. I got burned as 90% needs to be trimmed my mistake will never deal with guy again. my question or comment is what is once fired brass I use the rule of thumb that if it mic's out at more than 1.758 it is more than once fired brass and requires trimming and reaming etc. What is the feedback from other loaders on this subject? yeah I know the hornady manual calls trim length at 1.750 and max length at 1.760. Help out there. many thanks for your input rcbsman

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will check my once fired 223 brass at the house and see what they messure. My gut feeling in that most will need to be trimmed.

I have been tinkering with the 204 using my personal once fired brass and coincidently about 90% of those need to be trimmed.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I bought a 1000rds. of IMI new brass, back when it was available. Most of it needed trimed when loading for my AR. I buckled a few of cases crimping them [V]
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any and every once fired 223 brass will need to be trimmed.
    You bought exactly what we all buy when we get once fired.
    Factory ammo cases are long in the and crimped tight and that crimped part is the extra length and what you need to trim.

I am sure you just do not realize you did not get ripped off at all.

If you got Berdan primed cases or if you asked for cases with no military primer crimp and got them those would be things to use "ripped off" over.

Most new brass is too long and once fired if not trimmed but heavily crimped will cycle fine in most guns at least they have in mine.

I do not rim 223 brass as I crimp it for semi auto.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load at least 5,000 223's a year and have not found trim length to be a sole indicator of how many times a case has been fired. Most of the 1 fired brass I use does not need to be trimmed for the second loading but that is not always the case. Inspecting the primer pocket will help determine if a case is 1 fired or not. I use a Dillon case guage for length and it is a handy tool to have. I recommend one to anyone that loads a particular cartridge alot.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you got burned. I have many once fired cases that I fired myself the first time and they need trimmed! Just trim to the minimum and with average loads you will be good for about 4 or 5 loads. If you have to trim more often than that, the loads are too hot or the brass is too soft. Remember the brass you trim comes from somewhere, watch for the telltale ring then toss it.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    rcbsman - you did not get burned...

What color are the primers? If ANY are silver/chrome...then it is NOT 1x fired brass (if it is military headstamped brass).
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, BHAVEN, I was not clear.

According to TTL by the book all my brass needs trimming.
    That is, it is not at trim to length but rarely is it over max length either.
    Spot checking I do see many over 1.762 or so
    But, I do not trim it as I crimp it when I load and I have never had any problem with any loaded 223 of mine and that would be at least 25K rounds and maybe 35K.
    However, I have only shot them in my Daewoo DR-200s but that being an AR bolt system I would think an AR would be no different.

With 308 and 8MM I trim each case to TTL as they are not crimped for my bolt guns.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    been working on 25LBS OF military headstamped brass 90% had to be trimed, cant wait till that trim pro 3 way cutter comes in. it saved me alot of time on some 270 brass i did last week [8D][8D]
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is normal...And that's why I have an electric case trimmer (Dillon)..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nah buddy, you didn't get burned! The overall length of fired brass won't tell you how many times it has been fired unless it is from a particular rifle you are familiar with. No two chambers are alike! some cases "grow" more in a certain chamber than they do others. Heck, I've got one AR that actually makes a case grow noticably longer on one side than the other. Get used to trimming Bro. cause even if you fire-form and neck size only you will still have to trim from time to time. I just suggest you buy some good trim equipment! Good Luck and Good Shooting!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    1. Book trim-to length is a guide only. A chamber measurement of YOUR gun is the only one that matters. If you do this for your gun, you may find you don't need to trim.

2. I have some cases that I have fired 10 times that haven't needed trimming, and others that do after just one firing. Numbers of firings don't equate to whether it needs trimming, which is why it should be checked every time.

3. Unless he specifically said that it didn't need trimming, you weren't ripped off. I assume any used brass I get needs cleaning, sizing, and trimming. Again, if it has crimped pockets or is badly dented or anything else, then you have every right to complain, otherwise I'd say you are good to go, no complaints needed.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    rcbsman,

You were not ripped off. Odds are you got once fired. If it is military it is real easy to tell, the primer crimp is still there. I have bought once fired military, I know it was only once fired because the of crimped primer and over 95% were over 1.760 in length. The headstamp's were all WCC 96. Once sized .001 at the shoulder under chamber length and decrimped the primer, trimmed them all to 1.750. I use them in my Rem 788, shoots inside 1/2 inch at 100 yds.
  • hdm3hdm3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am from Pennsylvania, and I have a bunch of Federal once fired .223 brass up for sale to the best offer. If interested, e-mail me and make an offer,

Hank -
    dogbeer@epix.net
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    You were not burned.

Sounds like some of you need to invest in a Possum Hollow case trimmer. Check Kinneman's....and buy the power adapter as well. This trimmer makes short work of trimming brass.

http://www.kinneman.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=119

Index on the shoulder of the cartridge.