In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

military crimp 223

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I only shoot commercial 223's. I have hear of the "crimp" on military brass. What is it, and what are methods to remove the crimp? thanks, joe

Comments

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most military brass has a crimped in primer. That is,after the primer is in place a machine with a circular hollow punch strikes the case just larger than the primer, greating a crimp by displacing brass. As you push out the old primer the crimp is pushed back somewhat but has left a ragged edge of brass. This must be pushed back where it came from or removed before a new primer can be inserted as you now have a square edge instead of a radiused one. With a tool such as the one offered by Dillon this is easy. Some people just use a case neck chamfering tool and cut it off, as it is not enough brass to make a difference.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a $2.00 Lee chamfering tool.Time consuming if you have a lot to do but cheap.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Something else that you can use besides the chamfer tool, which is time consuming or the Dillon swager, which is expensive, is the RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Combo. It swages the primer pocket similar to the Dillon tool, but is less than 1/3 the cost.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=447022&t=11082005
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a few hundred, the Dillon is way too expensive ($100). I tried both the Lyman hand reamer and the RCBS swager that works on your loading press but neither provided the operation I needed. After messing with those for a while, I bit the bullet and bought a Dillon. It works well and I wish I had bought it earlier.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sucked it up and bought one too. I use it, then just touch the primer pocket on the inside chamfer tool on the RCBS case prep center. This wil knock off any small burrs or left over slivers.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    I USE A RCBS swager and it seems to work fine for me
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    The unit Dillon removes & installs all USA Mil-Spec crimps.
    Part#F27-20095 $91.95 march 2008 booklet.

Think I paid $64 for mine, the complete order for the 650 with everything I could find for it was almost $3,800.
    With 6 dies, stands,case feeder,case trimmers,guages, spare parts
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a dillon tool, and am unaware of its ability to INSTALL a Mil-Spec crimp, or any other kind of crimp. Where is this infomation available, am I missing parts?
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a dillon tool, and am unaware of its ability to INSTALL a Mil-Spec crimp, or any other kind of crimp. Where is this infomation available, am I missing parts?