In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just Questions

Hello everybody, How important is it to lube inside of case necks? I've been messing with rifle reloads primarily and would be afraid of powder contamination. Why do you want to leave 1/16 of an inch between the shell holder and a carbide die? One other thing for now, what does it mean to "Cam Over" on the press? Robert

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Lubing the necks helps reduce stretching so you don't have to trim cases as often. You need a small gap with carbide dies to prevent shattering the carbide ring in the die. I assume by "cam over" that you are talking about running a steel die to touch the shell holder and then screwing it down a little more. This makes sure you full length size the case.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost never set a die to touch the shell holder. The inside lube creates less chance of offcenter necks and can be cleaned by soaking them in boiling water 4pts to 1pt white vinegar with a few drops of dish detergent. Let them dry completely and you are good to go.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not all presses "cam over" on the ones that do that is the point of greatest leverage. On my Lyman presses the stop is just after the ram is at the top of its stroke so as you lower the arm to raise the ram the ram rises to the top and then drops just a little before the arm hits the stop. Because of the geometry that is where you have the greatest mechanical advantage.