In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

high primer problem? dillon 550

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
reloading 45 colts last night and about half of my shells had a high primer(primer sticking out just a little bit. i think they will still work in my revolvers but i just dont trust them enough to take to a match.

i am using a dillon 550, i have loaded over 1500 rounds with it and this is the first time i had this problem. i tried pushing the lever harder and that didnt work. then i took two of them with high primers and my rcbs primer hand priming tool and couldnt force them in with that either even though i dent in the primer a little.(i realize the danger in that so you dont need to point that out)

any suggestions?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    What brand of brass are you reloading ? is all your brass same brand ? some work and others don"t?
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mixed headstamps. i have reloaded this brass 1-2 times before without a problem
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some primers such as CCI primers are hard and may not seat as easily as soft primers.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you clean the primer pocket? Smutz does build up in there.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Did you clean the primer pocket? Smutz does build up in there.

That would be my answer also,I think you should uniform all the primer pockets the next reloading you do.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for your help. my next question is when am i supposed to clean the primer pockets out. on the dillon progressive i put the cartridge in at station 1 and it sizes and deprimes it then when i get to the bottem it puts another primer in. it seems to defeat the purpose of having a progressive if i have to remove the cartride after depriming to clean the primer pocket then reinsert it and put another primer in. how do you guys do it that have progressives.

any help would be appreciated, i have a shoot to go to tomorrow and i will be loading up a few hundred rounds after work to practise with tonight and shoot tommorrow.

also of the rounds i loaded(approx 200) that had high primers only one made my revolver hard to turn
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check to make sure that your shell plate is tight. When you seat the primer if the shell plate is loose the case will ride up with the primer seater leaving the primer high.
  • crankyinamcrankyinam Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have reloaded for 20 years and still find the best way is too always deprime and size at the same time, then run your brass through the tumbler, then if any residue is left in pocket of primer use your pocket cleaning tool. Now the next important part get out your micrometer and measure your case length making sure cases don't exceed length or are too short. The ones that fall into acceptable are then sorted out by their lengths. Then I deburr the inner and outside lip of the case. At that time i can run them through the progressive loader knowing that after the first shell is set by overall length the rest will be uniform for that group. Then load one from the next group and so on. Your bullets will be uniform and ready for that tactical match your ready too go to. Hope this helps. [:)]