In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help w/12 ga loads for MEC 600jr

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
I got a Mec loader and it came with the bar 302 - 116 and 29 insert.
I want to load light 12 ga loads with about 1oz shot. I need a suggestion as to what I need as to a bar, plastic wads and kind of powder to load the shells.
Will be loading in AA shells.
This will be the only load I will be using this loader for, so I am trying not to buy a book.
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• macabestmacabest Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you really need to do is get a load book. Shot shells are a lot more fussy with the components. Every time you change shell, primer, wad combination it's a different recipie. The components aren't interchangable like metalic reloading. The book I have is 'Reloading for Shotgunners'. There are 6 pages of loads for 7/8oz of shot. This is something that really be answered in a few line post. I load 7/8 oz loads on a 600 and would be happy to share my recipe if you would like.
    Marc
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I would like to know. I don't even have an idea what kind of powder to start with.
  • macabestmacabest Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent you an email...
    Marc
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Red Dot works for me, Claybuster wads, or Win AA, I've still got about 700 Herters red wads, can't get em anymore, I've always liked them the best. Win AA hulls always work, always consistent. I load 19.6gr Red Dot with 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2, same charge, but 1oz for the first shot for doubles, but thats just me.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alot of the shops have free reloading manuals that you can pick up when you buy your supplies.
  • 336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming your bar has a 118 on the end of it instead of the 116 you say it has(they don't make a 1 1/6oz charge bar); it looks like the loader was set up for a standard 1 1/8oz field load probably using 700x powder as the 29 bushing throws just the right amount of it for use in many hulls with the proper wad(this bushing does not throw enough Red Dot to develop a load with practical velocity). In a "AA" hull it would be with the WWAA12(white) wad or its present day equivalant(other manufacturers make a comparable wad that is interchangeable). To drop down to a 1oz load, the same charge of powder is used which will give an increased velocity to the payload while realizing a decreased chamber pressure. You could make a shim/bushing from a section of 20ga hull trimmed to the correct size(by trial and error) and inserted into the shot cavity of the bar you have to make it throw the 1oz charge. With this configuration a different wad is needed, one comparable to the WWAA12F1(pink) wad in order to make up for the volume change. Win 209 primers can be used or most any other 209 size are interchangeable. The Win 209 is one of the primers with the highest brisance (I think that's spelled right) or flash pressure so a substitute of a different one will probably only produce a little loss in pressure and velocity. This is the same powder charge I use in my 1oz skeet loads in a federal paper hull with a no name brand(cheap) wad comparable to the federal 12S0 and a 209 size cheddite(very cheap) primer. When going through thousands of rounds a year you like "cheap". Hope this helps.