In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06 pet loads and data?!

looking for information on hunting loads for a 30-06. Useing a 150 or 165 grain bullets ,useing either varget or imr 4895 or accurate 2230c powders. Rick

Comments

• SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richard, I'm sorry I won't be able to help you my '06 pet load is 180 gr. SPBT and 56 grains of IMR-4350. I've never been able to get this gun to shoot well with the lighter bullets so when this load started turning in 1" groups I have stayed with it for all my hunting.
    I'm anxious to hear others chime in with the load info you requested.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using the Barnes TSX out of my '06 but Alliant powder. Let me know if you want the details... I'm at work now. I'll check my books when I get home.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My favorite 150 gr load with a 150 gr, is 48 Gr IMR 4895 with a Winchester LR primer.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    All my 30/06 data shows that 4350 is ideal with 150's and under, and anything over that use's 4831 very well.....

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • richard 67richard 67 Member Posts: 76
    edited November -1
    Im trying to get some actual tested data(30-06) on 2230c, varget and imr4895 .Any bullet weights over 150 grain!

lets see those pet loads,LOL!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richard, 46 to 46.5gr of IMR 4895 has proven itself to me. A surprising good load used RE-19 and another was IMR7828. They gave consistent groups for me.

Check your manual before useing any reloading data. Make sure you do not deviate from their recomendations.
    edited November -1
    Im assuming this is for a 150 grain bullet? I like imr 4895 too, its one of the first powders i have used. Although i now have 16 lbs of varget and accurate 2230 c powder.Id like to use this powder up,preferably with loads that have been tried and tested.

quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Richard, 46 to 46.5gr of IMR 4895 has proven itself to me. A surprising good load used RE-19 and another was IMR7828. They gave consistent groups for me.

Check your manual before useing any reloading data. Make sure you do not deviate from their recomendations.
    edited November -1
    wow!

Looks like there arent too many reloaders on here.I surely thought that here would be bunches of information posted, but i was really wrong! For all of you reloaders out there you can get great reloading from here:http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/reload/reload.pl

Ive been on this board fopr years, and it hasnt let me down!!!!
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    67,my favorite load for 150 gr. bullets in an "06" is with 50 gr of WW748.I don't think you'll be disappointed if you try this one.Just my two cents,Bob.
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D] -Yo richard67 not to distract from your purpose, but I also got 8lbs of AA2230c and using it in my Rem. BDL .223 I was able to get my best groups .209" (5) 100yds and I have used IMR 4198/4895/4831-Now I have a box of .243 loaded for my WBY (AA2230c),YET TO TRY and THEN I'll try my Wby 30-06's, but that will be a couple of weeks. If we post our results, we can compare!!!Good luck--[:o)][:o)][:o)][:D]--JIMBO

On your mark-get set- go away!!
    edited November -1
    Jimbo

thanks for some info on 2230c.I plan on going to the range (useing the 30-06) loaded with 2230c soon.Im going to bring my chrony and do some test results concerning velocity and acuracy. The only problem is, im working 6 days a week! which only leaves me sundays, in which i go to church.Have you ever been to a gunrange on a sunday afternoon in fresno california! Its like a flea market out there-just way too many people! When work slows down,ill post my loadings and speeds. From what ive ben told, when useing 2230c in 30-06, need to stick with 150 grainbullets.

quote:Originally posted by James Ayers
    [8D] -Yo richard67 not to distract from your purpose, but I also got 8lbs of AA2230c and using it in my Rem. BDL .223 I was able to get my best groups .209" (5) 100yds and I have used IMR 4198/4895/4831-Now I have a box of .243 loaded for my WBY (AA2230c),YET TO TRY and THEN I'll try my Wby 30-06's, but that will be a couple of weeks. If we post our results, we can compare!!!Good luck--[:o)][:o)][:o)][:D]--JIMBO

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo rich, one of my ranges is in Richmond and is pretty bad on Sundays-Great range ,but crowded on SAT/SUN, so I'll be free in a couple more weeeks and start on WED/FRI ![:(]As a special note-This AA2230c is very fine BALL powder-You have to be very CONSISTENT in you successive load measures to guaranty your accuracy-[;)][;)][}:)][:D]--JIMBO

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
    edited November -1
    jimbo

I loaded up 100 rounds of accurate 2230c for my 30-06 bolt action, and had problems! I didnt set up the chrony because of too many people(weekend). But i loaded 49 grains in a lake city brass with a 150 grain bullet and wincheter large rifle primers. Wow, knew i was going to be in trouble after the first shot. It shot good, but was blowing the primer out of the case, so its just way too hot.The rest of the rounds were close to the same way, excessive pressure. I know i need to chrony the load, because im not exactly sure were my lot of powder comes in, if its on the mild or wild side.Anyways, i did the next load of 2230c useing 45.0 grains for the 30-06. While it doesnt have a noticable kick or loud bang, it shoots 3" low, and in my opinion is what i would call a reduced load. Its underpowered at 100 yards for my shooting needs. The next load was 2230c useing 47.0 grains. This was the best load as far as accuracy. It was consistant and seemed to be the happy medium.Im useing 150 grain bullets for all of the loads mentioned !

One thing about 2230c powder, is that it does have a very differant sound and feel in my bolt action rifle, compared to imr 4895, varget and imr 4350!

Like i said before, when i get the time(working 6 days a week)Ill do it right and chrony the loads. Ill see what the powder actually is doing and compare it to my ballistic software and reported velocities. im also going to be useing 165 grain bullets (speer)as well, curious to see how it reacts to a heavier bullet? anyways, It will be a while before my next posting on 2230c.

quote:Originally posted by jimbowby
    [8D]--Yo rich, one of my ranges is in Richmond and is pretty bad on Sundays-Great range ,but crowded on SAT/SUN, so I'll be free in a couple more weeeks and start on WED/FRI ![:(]As a special note-This AA2230c is very fine BALL powder-You have to be very CONSISTENT in you successive load measures to guaranty your accuracy-[;)][;)][}:)][:D]--JIMBO

edited November -1
    I thought about useing the barnes bullets, but those are exspencive!!!!! Im useing speer hot cor,remington cor- loks and the yugo bullet you get at widners(its a decent jacket bullet for 17:00 bucks for 250). im getting good results with all three, but the hot cor bullets are taking the lead!

When i reload, i find a resonable bullet and the right load for it.I then use higher quality components and match them to what i regulary shoot, so i wont have any surprises when i go hunting.

I learned it the hard way useing hornady light magnum loads,My gun was sighted in 3" inches high at 100 yards, but when i shot the hornady loads, it went to 6 inches high! Needless to say-no more hornady light magnum loads.(mainly because i cant duplicate the load with any powder and get near its velocity and accuracy).Let me know about the alliant powde/ I havent tried it, but everything else i have. Interesting to see how it compares? rick

quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I'm using the Barnes TSX out of my '06 but Alliant powder. Let me know if you want the details... I'm at work now. I'll check my books when I get home.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The alliant powder seems to burn "hot", it seems to heat up my barrel a lot more than the IMR powders do. It does, however, seem cleaner. The bore, and cases do not seem as dirty. I am using Reloader 19 in the '06, have tried Re 15 in my 308 with good results, and had the best groups of all with Re 22 in a 270. These all meter well and burn VERY consistant, even can to can.
    The Barnes TSX are expensive, but my 3 hunting rifles have turned the best groups they have ever fired! My A-Bolt '06 shot a .75" 200 yd group, the pre 64 mod 70 shoots just under .5" at 100 and the 270 shoots .75" at 100. The key has been seating the bullets close to the lands. Barnes even says to get good accuracy with their bullets to do it (they recomend .005" if I remember right).
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    165 grain Nosler partition CCI or Winceshter primers, IMR 4350 powder. I might change my mind if this combo works with Fail Safe rounds.

Psalm 109:8
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    55.0gr N140 with a 125gr NBT is wicked fast and frangible on impact

rem brass
    fed210M

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
    edited November -1
    I still havent forgot about the 2230c loads! Its still on my list of things to do, when work slows down,Ill chrony the loads and match up velocities with my balisti softare program. Hang in there! Happy 4th of july to everyone!!!
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo richard, I haven't either-My daughter just returned from a year in Hawaii and we're resetting her in San Francisco for 4 more years (RADIOLOGY)- I've still got my .243 to test the AA2230c-we'll get it all together soon-We can't forget this important work, (work)[?][?][:D]---JIMBO

edited November -1
    [8D]-Yo richard67, well this weekend I tried the A2230c in my .243 Weatherby for many loads and the best was with--37.2gr/70GR BTHP SIERRA BULLET AT 100 YDS, now you know that this is not a calibration point, but my measuremeants are for MY WEATHERBY--check it out--Remember that if you're using a DIGITAL measure-(check out consistantsy)between loads--JIMBO

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came up with an excellent accuracy and velocity load for 165-168 gr.
    I used 53 gr. of VV N150 to push a 168 gr. Hornady A-max to 2850 fps. and got a group size of .186.
    I also loaded a 167 Lapua Scenar and a 165 Sierra BTHP with the same charge. All three produced pretty good accuracy with the edge going to the Hornady A-max. I also loaded up and down on the powder scale and found that the stopping point for my rifle was 54 grs. Accuracy didn't fall off that much but velocity quit gaining much after 53 grs. Vihtavuori listed a max of 54.2 but note that Nosler and Metallic Cartridge reloading list 52 grs. as max.
    This was all tested in a 22" barrelled Mauser M96(straight pull, the kind made in 1996). Avg velocity for these bullets with 53 grs. was 2850 Fps. So they didn't vary much from each other in velocity.
    -Work up from about 51-52 grs. and good luck.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>