In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading manuals for cast bullets

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if anyone here has any books that they prefer for refrencing cast bullet loads. Most of the manuals I check are fairly limited in their coverage of HEAVY cast loads. All of the books I have seen dedicated to just cast bullets, are not geared for todays firearms. Specifically I am looking for cast bullets for 45-70, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull.

Picture024.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman Cast bullet reloading book I can send ya I don't use it.
    think its just a few years old.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try rayrilingarmsbooks.com i just got a manual for 45/70 , looks good. only 10.75 with shipping

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Franc- I have looked at Lymans, most of their stuff is still fairly low pressures, and nothing on 454. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brier-thanks for the site, good one.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Try Oregon Trail/Laser cast's book; lotsa good info that covers "cast" bullet loads.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Checked their book, glad I spoke with someonw before ordering it from Midway. They have no data for a 454! What's up with that? A cast bullet manual and no stopmin' loads for a 454, come on now.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir,
    If by heavy you mean in powder charge there is a good reason you don't find hot and heavy loads for lead bullets. It is because lead alloys are not able to be a consistent, safe and accurate bullet when pushed to the pressure/velosity levels of some hot handgun rounds, like the 454.

The .454 creates rifle pressures and Bullet energy in a short barreled handgun. lead is not a good choice for bullets subjected to that type of force. If you want to shoot a 1,000 to 1,200 FPS load in your .454 then data for a .44 mag is a good start for you. if your desire is to shoot a bullet as fast as it can go for the caliber you are shooting then lead is not the answer IMO. That is where jacketed bullets shine and thats why they sell them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for data in the 335 gr and up (GC) varitey. I'm not looking for ridiculous speed's here. This is for maximum energy for backup in bear country. The only bullets (non cast) that I would use for this purpose are Kodiak Trophy Bonded Bear-Claw's. The velocities out of this 2" barreled 454 are going to be nothing compared to the stuff that I turn out for my 45-70 bear loads, and half of those bullets arent even gas checked.

Picture024.jpg
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    2" 454??????????? That will be great as a backup for my 2" 500 S&W Scandium.

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.proshootpro.com they have a load data section and also cast some very good projectiles.

danski