In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which press to get

yachtdaveyachtdave Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
A customer of mine wants to get into reloading. He will be reloading 308 and .50 possibly one more caliber for a handgun. IM not up on all the reloading press out there, so was wondering what you guys would recommend. he likes the idea of a progressive.

Riverviewsales.net

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if that .50 is BMG he will need 2 presses. .50BMG is too large for a standard press. RCBS is a good choice.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,

There's always more than one way to look at things.

There are a couple of presses that will handle 50 BMG as well as standard cartridges. RCBS makes the AmmoMaster and Hornady has their 50 BMG press with Lock-n-Load. Corbin makes what I consider to be one of the best single stage presses for both reloading and bullet swaging and it will handle 50 BMG. The other Corbin brother (www.rceco.com) makes the Walnut Hill Press which is also equal to these tasks.

It's a whole 'nuther story when someone wants to start out with a progressive. I don't recommend it until they have some experience with loading on a single stage. It just makes life easier until you learn all of the basics and have some practice. The RCBS Rock Chucker is probably the standard for single stage loading presses.

But if he insists on a progressive right away or even if he can wait a bit, the Dillon RL 550B is probably the most bullet proof and comes with an incredible warrantee/guarantee. It isn't cheap but it will last a lifetime because Mike Dillon stands behind it forever.

RCBS make a great progressive, also, in the 2000 model. It's very well throught out and sturdy. There are others of course but these are the ones that I'm familiar with.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • yachtdaveyachtdave Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks you guys

Dave

Riverviewsales.net
  • egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee makes a 50 bmg press that can handle any of their other dies, I have heard good things about it, too.
  • ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    if that .50 is BMG he will need 2 presses. .50BMG is too large for a standard press. RCBS is a good choice.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!

WRONG
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=845765

I've got the Classic Cast. Great press but I haven't dont anything bigger than 7mm, I dont think you'll have any problem loading 50 BMG with it...it is a very sturdy press and easy on the wallet.

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do;the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.

Sig-Pic.jpg
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I will throw a third oppinion out ther on the classic cast. The Rock chucker went bye bye when the Classic cast came to town. For $60, not one even comes close. They run about $150 with 50 BMG dies.

edited November -1
    The Rock Chucker has not and won't go 'bye-bye' due to the Classic press for sure.

It just isn't possible to compare the two presses since the Classic is made for the absolute lowest end of the reloading market. It's cheap and that's all it has going for it. The severe lack of quality means that it will have a short life span even with moderate usage. I know, I've tested these and most other presses for accuracy and sturdiness for years and Lee product usually have to be replaced with a higher frequency as do all cheap parts and tools.

The Lee products fill a niche, the very low end, when reloaders can't or won't afford higher quality tools. If that concept helps you get by, that's terrific, but please don't confuse cheap with being the best tool on the market. It can't happen and it's not true.

rifleman.gif
    edited November -1
    richbug,

I had a lengthy reply all written and posted explaining my rationale but I just deleted it.

I don't care what you think or what opinion you have. You are entitled to those opinions as I'm entitled to mine. If Lee tools trip you trigger, then so be it. Enjoying the experience of reloading and shooting is what counts not the adversity of conflicting opinions.

If you managed to read the previous post before I deleted it, I apologize, it wasn't worthy of this site.

Best.

rifleman.gif
    edited November -1
    I did read it and replied. I accept your appology and will move on. NNS, sorry if I came across harshly, but I solidly believe that the Lee CC press is a top shelf press. However good it is, it may never be accepted by persons who have Green, Blue, or the other Red running through their veins.

edited November -1
    We may well be jumping to conclusions that aren't valid here.".50 possibly one more caliber for a handgun" Might he be talking about 50 AE? and not 50 BMG

A dillon 650 is a great progressive to load handgun ammo with. Rifle ammo is hard work with a progressive press.

• lawdog44lawdog44 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you would do well with RCBS when it comes to reloading they
    have good products that they stand behind if for some reason you
    break a part 9 out of 10 times you just call them and the part is
    sent to you free of charge
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at Hornady I use the lock and load auto press, wont work for 50 bmg but sure is a sweet press for everything else.
    I love mine.