In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

getting started reloading

bwachobbwachob Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
A friend and I are wanting to get started reloading. we are interested in your opions of the best all around reloader to get started. we will be reloading rifle and pistol both. thanks for all input.

Comments

• knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite is Lyman equiptment, I would suggest to a new person to pick up rcbs because you can pick it up anywhere and it is good quality. I can`t give you any better directions about which particular model because I only reload pistol at the time and don`t have the knowledge
    for what would be good for rifle and pistol.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Though it takes longer, and is a pain with calibers you shoot a high volume of, start with a single stage press. Less to go wrong. Then move up to progressive. You'll probably want to stay with the single stage job on rifle ammo anyhow.

I find Lee makes the best for the price. Their dies are dirt cheap compared to others but in my experience, work just as well.

Their presses are getting much better. After breaking 2 linkages in one of their Anniversery O frame presses, I switched to an RCBS Rockchucker. I still have the Lee press, for an extra to use in bullet seating, priming, whatever, but not resizing. Anyhow, in the meantime they came out with what they call the Classic Cast press, which is built like a tank, remedying all of the problems with their earlier presses, in my opinion, and now the best price for the money out there. As solid as the RCBS with more clearence.

Lee's powder scale is junk. Their powder dispensers are good with extruded (stick) powders, but bind with ball (spherical) powders... whereas RCBS i find binds with stick, and works great with ball powders.
  • BigoledudeBigoledude Member Posts: 39
    edited November -1
    Look at what Lee and RCBS offer in their start-up kits. They usually have most of what you will need to start. However, there are some items that will really speed-up the whole process.

I like the RCBS "Hand Priming Tool" as one special piece that I would buy. Never saw one person ever have difficulty mastering the "feel" of the hand primer.

Jonk is right about Lee's "Classic Cast" press, it can handle just about any job ya'll will be tackling for a while I would think. You can buy that bigole press for $60.00 right now, brand new!

RCBS's "Uniflow Powder Measure" and "Powder Trickler" are really nice additions to the reloading bench. Calipers are a good idea for several of the measurements you'll want to keep accurate account of.

I never did tire of the single-stage presses. A couple of my sons, or a podnah would get together with me, and we would reload for a whole morning or afternoon. The time would zoom by and, before you knew it, we would have a few hundred rounds brewed-up.

Oh, absolutely get yourselves a couple of reloading manuals, read them, and then dive in!
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway is going to have a real nice starter kit on sale in February. Check the site
  • bwachobbwachob Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the great information. wish us luck and good shooting
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Go with a RCBS Rockchucker start up kit. It has everything you'll need less a caliper and dies. It will last you a life time...it's one of the best all around presses out there. They also have a lifetime guarantee. Personally, I do not like Lee equipment. Get yourself SEVERAL reloading manuals and read them through, before you start reloading. Good luck!
  • woodchuckwoodchuck Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recomend you read all these replies closely, they are full of good advice. I think a Lee Turret Press is the place to start, especialy if you intend to load any quantity of pistol rounds. I have had great luck with mine, they have the exclusive pour thru die which eliminates one step, allowing you to charge and flare your case at the same station. Regardless of price Lee dies are excellent. Don't waste money on Lee Scales or powder charger. go with RCBS. You will also need an RCBS case trimmer and a good digital caliper. I like LOADBOOKS, caliber specific manuals, to compliment the priceless information found in any of the major manufacturer reloading manuals. I have just upgraded to a Dillon RL550B I havent used it yet, I'm sure it will speed up my pistol loading considerabley. But I will keep my Lee for rifle rounds. I firmly believe that to load an accurate rifle cartrige you must be extremely * about each step,trim each case, weigh each charge, frequently check overall length, ETC. To do this is a single stage process, wich you can do with a Lee Turret Press. But most of all do your homework and if at all possable find an experienced reloader with all his extremities still intact! and take a few hands on lessons.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If your gonna need specific dies, let me know,, I have lots..RCBS and LEE[;)]
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally there are two kinds of presses to consider. Single stage and progressive. Single stage is one catridge at one stage of loading operated per press. Progressive operates multiple stages on multiple cartriges per press.

If your going to shoot precision rifle, or something that requires the best precision then I'd get a single stage. They are also cheaper and more versitile. But if you going to shoot a handgun sport where you will be loading alot of ammo, I'd get a progressive press. The disadvantage with progressive is the cost of changing cartridges. Plus progressives are a pain when you only want to load a very small quantity of different loads for testing, like one does with precision rifle.