In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stuck bullet

After 45 years of reloading I just had my first squib load. The primer fired but did not ignite the powder. I suspect something was in in the primer hole as powder was inside the action. Now I have a stuck golden saber bullet about half way down the barrel. Browning BDA 380. Efforts to pound the bullet out with a dowel and rubber mallet has failed. Any suggestions?

Comments

• gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Has anyone ever chambered and extracted a cartridge in a rifle and have the bullit stay in the chamber? Isn't the Factory Crimp Die supposed to eliminate this from happening? To be honest, though, it was very difficult for me to determine how much crimp I was giving the ammo. The directions are very vague and merely states that maximum crimp has been achieved when the fingers are touching each other and further adjustment could lead to damage to the die, so I crimped my ammo with the beginning recommended crimp - screw die in until it touches the shell holder and turn an additional 1/2 turn. Should I go for the maximum crimp here?
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Latherdown with wd-40 then let it sit, try it again...
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you have any kroil, spray it down the barrel.let it sit a couple minutes and then try beating it through the barrel again.best penetrant i have ever used.hope this helps
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    which way are you trying to push it out?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello like any thing the better you hold the item the more effective the blow will be to dislodge the bullet My suggestion is to remove the barrel put the chamber end on a oak or mapel block this block on the concreat floor and with a ood rod or better yet Brass rod useing a sharp rap drive out toward the chamber end. DO NOT try to hold the gun in one hand and drive the bullet out it will ruin the gun and do not Use heat any heat that will melt the lead in the bullet will RUIN the barrel heat treatment.
  • gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    I tried Kroil and I am trying to go out the chamber end as it is the closest.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    like perry said, and ditch the rubber mallet since your using a wooden dowel