In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

crushed walnut

How often does everyone change there crushed walnut cleaner.When I first started I used to change on every clean.I havnt reloaded for a while but have just stated again.I have just cleaned a load of different cals and now low on walnut.I am on my 3rd clean with what I have.Im using Midway brass cleaner with it.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have used good quality Walnut hulls for many cycles maybe as many as 50 . A lot depends on how dirty the brass was to began with Years ago it was nowhere as cheap as it is today. I might make one suggestion you can go to places like PET SMART and get same stuff used there as Bird Bedding and also I have had great results with large bags of cheap white Rice "uncooked"[:o)][:I] of course. cost pennies a pound the cheapest grade you can get I used to get 25 pound bags at Sams
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have used about everything. I used to use rice but then I bought 50 lbs of ceramic beads. Cost me $75.00. They work great and so far has last for ever. I am using the same beads that I put in my Dillion over 3 years ago. I still have over 40lbs left that I haven't used yet. I clean alot of large casings, 45-70, 45-110, 375 JDJ, 500 S&W, and for some reason these beads work great. The brass comes out like someone cleaned them with brass polish.
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Do yhou put polish in with the rice Perry.
  • wheelgun7360wheelgun7360 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello, you can wash your walnut shells if you want to. let them dry completely before using again. also go buy a bottle of NUFINISH CAR POLISH at any auto parts store or walmart. this polish works like no other i have used. cheaper than the brass polish you get from shooting supply places. pour about a capful in the media and start polishing. i let my tumbler run about 2 to 3 hours. brass look brand new. allen
    edited November -1
    Yes The rice will leave a great finish Get the cheapest bulk stuff you can find Discount food store. etc. You may or may not want to use any polish compound I don't.
    edited November -1
    Does the rice get lodged in the cases Perry.
    edited November -1
    The rice does not get lodged in 45ACP or 38 special I have never tried it in bottle-necked rifle cases.
  • Dumpster BabyDumpster Baby Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wheelgun7360
    hello, you can wash your walnut shells if you want to. let them dry completely before using again. also go buy a bottle of NUFINISH CAR POLISH at any auto parts store or walmart. this polish works like no other i have used. cheaper than the brass polish you get from shooting supply places. pour about a capful in the media and start polishing. i let my tumbler run about 2 to 3 hours. brass look brand new. allen

100%

I'm still using a gallon jug of the stuff that I bought about 1970. I just wash it periodically and it's as good as new again. A lot of people use it to clean off sizing lube. I never do that as it just clogs the media up much faster.
    edited November -1
    Dumpster how do you wash it,just clean hot water or do you use dishsoap