In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 ACP---Perry Shooter?

coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
I could have sworn there was a recent post about 45 ACP brass on here. In it, Perry Shooter made a comment about good brass and not-so-good brass. Since I am building up a supply of used brass in preparation for reloading 45 ACP, I was wanting to reread it in order to sort through and discard any of the not-so-good brass but I can't find it. I think I have looked at all possible posts in both the "Experts" and "Reloading" forums to no avail.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello there are a number of things to consider with 45ACP brass the first is Quality control There is one maker I think Amerxx or some such spelling that is Throw away do not use . The second brand sadly to say is FEDERAL from about 10 years ago . The military marksmanship teams contracted every year for match ammo one year Federal shipped the ammo and the teams started having split cases on first firing then they started having split cases even before they were fired. They contacted Federal and Federal said bad storage conditions. THE SAME AMMO BUNCKER at Quantico they had used since WW II . The marines started loading their own match ammo . The second thing to look out for is Different WALL thickness . Some brands are thicker then others . TZZ and Remington as well as Rem UMC are very thin . I like WCC MATCH and W.W. . If you use the correct sizer / expander / seater / taper crimper Then most any good quality brass will give you reloads THICK or THIN walled with the correct dies for that brand . Where you can get into trouble is Thin brass that does not grip the bullet tight enough then the bullet can push down into the case when it hits the feed ramp causing High Chamber pressure. The third thing is some ammo "lead Free" is loaded with small pistol primers one of these mixed into Normal Large Pistol Primers[:(!][:(][V]This can ruin your day if trying to load on a Progressive press. Hope this helps in some way "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you. That is the kind of information I was looking for.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That bad one first mentioned is Amerc, really bad stuff.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I had a five gallon bucket of 45 brass from a police department, shot in 2003. It was all R-P, in the past I had the same issues as PERRY SHOOTER with the thin Remington brass not giving enough case mouth tension. This batch of brass has proven to be great. It has been consistent and stout. I have reloaded some of it four times with out an issue.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    That Winchester match brass is the best in my opinion too. I hate to shoot it, because I don't like losing it.

I just load it all, and if it splits, then it is discarded before the next loading. It is easy to find split brass, because it makes a funny sound in a pile of brass when you move it around.
  • TxSgt1911TxSgt1911 Member Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add brass headstamped "REM-UMC" to the discard pile. In my experience, it's 10X worse than AMERC.