In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzleloading

SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm new to the inline muzzleloaders. I bought one about 3 years ago and still have never shot it. I've decided I'm going to get back into muzzleloading. What type of primer do I use in these things? My manual says "209 Primer". I've seen these with the muzzleloading equipment, but would a shotshell primer be good to use? Are they the same thing? I have plenty of them on hand already. I know shotshell primers are called "209 primer" but you never know about these types of things. I'd rather be safe by asking than take any chances.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What powder are you using?

I'd recommend the 777 209 primers. Best there is for ML's.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got some old Pyrodex I plan to use.
    edited November -1
    The triple 7 primers will work fine for that.

I've had decent luck with Winchester 209's and Remington Kleenbore's as well.

They're essentially the same, but I'd stick with primers that say #209, for Muzzle loading firearms.
  • SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok Cubs, thanks.

I'll pick up a pack of the 777 next time I'm at Wallyworld.
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind spending some extra cash and your gun is rated for it...pick up some Triple seven powder as well. Cleans up with soap and water. Great stuff. Check the label for loading data. I don't think it is the same as normal BP or Pyrodex. I just use Pyrodex RS (Powder) out of my CVA Optima with Winchester primers, and have had no issues at all.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I'll throw my $.02 in here.

As for the #209 primers (i.e. shotshell primers) I use Federals (the same ones I use for my skeet loads). You can use any shotshell primer for shooting a ML designed for #209 primers. If I am not mistaken the 777 primers are made by Winchester, so they are basically the same ones that are in any of Winchester's shotshells. The only thing that you get if you buy the 777 brand is a lighter wallet, in my opinion.

Secondly, the load data for the 777 is similar to pyrodex in that it is loaded by VOLUME instead of by WEIGHT. That is why you may see the charge listed as 90gr. equivalent. I would suggest the pellets if you plan on shooting magnum loads (150gr.) or if you want to stick to mulitples of 50gr for you powder charges. I personally shoot 100gr (2 pellets) charges. The pellets make for easy loading and easy unloading (without having to discharge the gun). Unless you don't have a removable breach plug. Then unloading is limited to shooting it or buying one of the CO2 dischargers.

Hope this helps.