In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45acp lightest load

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Why is it that most new manuals have a mininum load of 4.9g of Bullseye with a 200g swc cast bullet and older manuals go all the way down to 4.1g Bullseye with the same 200g swc cast bullet? Thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello GREAT question only older LYMAN reloading manuals list ANY light loads I guess all other writers think every shooter wants the most powerful load that will not damage the pistol . This Is NOT true when it comes to BULLS-EYE shooters . Most of us want the loads that shoot the best groups and DON"T beat up the shooter in firing 180 rounds in a normal match. When I first started shooting pistols all had IRON SIGHTS and many people used as light as 3.2 grains of Bulls-eye at the 25 yard line for mild recoil and 3.5-3.8 grains at 50 yards because it took at least that much to get good groups for the 50 yard slowfire. Once we went to red dot sights we need more powder 4.0 and up to to function the heavier slide sight combination. Feel free to email me on any questions on loads that are currently used. Karl AKA PERRY SHOOTER 1972-2005 camp perry national matches

Edit I agree with AMAMNN that many powders are slightly different in each lot number and if they change manufacture . Like H 4831 and IMR 4831 The maker of bulls-eye powder has changed throughout the years . I have a small amount of 40 year old Bullseye I use as a bench mark in my Ransom Rest testing along with Chronograph testing I can say my old powder gives about 5% higher velocity then some new lots but only about 2% higher then other new lots. I have to vary + or - up to .2 grain to get the sweet spot of velocity on the same bullet That I shot for over 25 years. Sorry to say they are now out of business and when I use up my current supply of about 20,000 rounds I may be forced into going back to casting my own bullets from my 1000 pounds of LINEOTYPE[:(]
  • amamnnamamnn Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something to keep in mind when reading OLD manuals: powder formulations can change over the years without the manufacturer calling you up to let you know................
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, so I can safetly shoot a light load as long as it cycles the pistol. Just got a Para (Warthog) and I am having a hard time finding a real accurte load for it, got any suggestions?
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    Oh, I am casting my own bullets, 230g rn and 200g swc.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4.3 Gr Titegroup. works great for me with cast 230 GR
    edited November -1
    Hello for the most part the longest OAL that will fit both your magazine and chamber will give you the best groups . My suggestion is to field strip your pistol and remove the barrel now starting with an extra long OAL of a cartridge. Use a empty case sized and belled with no primer or powder seating die turned out seat a bullet and close the mouth flush with sides of the case. Now drop this round in the chamber of your barrel More then likely it will not go into the chamber as far as needed What you are looking for is the case head to be about flush with the end of the hood of the barrel about .010 shorter then the chamber. Oce you adjust the seating die to get this oal correct for your barrel then make sure it will fit in the pistol magazine without hitting the nose of the bullet. The next thing you need to consider for 100% function is the case moth must be flush or slightly smaller in diameter then the case say 1/4 inch down from the case mouth This is best done with a taper crimp die and will result with the case mouth .469 inch + or - .002 A taper crimp works much better then a roll crimp as if the cases vary in length with a roll crimp you will have some that are under crimped and others over crimped. Now with all that set we are ready to load some cases with primers and powder charge. With Bulls-Eye powder I would start with 4.2 grains with both weights of you bullets This should work in your pistol if it has standard springs . Then if you want to tune the load to your pistol with you shooting it . You can reduce the load .2 grain at a time load one round only in the magazine and fire .If the slide stays back after the shot then powder charge is large enough and you can reduce another .2 grain if the slide does not stay back then go up in powder charge .2 grain . What you are looking for is a pistol that will function 100% of the time but not slam the slide back hard enough to damage the pistol . Feel free to email me with any other questions.
    edited November -1
    So Perry Shooter, if I get you correct the bullet (lead) is just starting into the barrel.
    edited November -1
    For the most part commercial ammo is loaded short enough to chamber in any barrel . However longer ammo some times .010 but other times it may be as much as .060 inch .will give you better groups and function. However too long of ammo will cause the cartridge to jam into the rifling and the slide will not close. This is why the barrel needs to be removed and your load checked to see if it will fit your chamber. IMHO if you are going to spend the time and money to reload then you need to reload the best ammo for your pistol. Cheers Karl.
    edited November -1
    I agree with you, if a person is going to reload why not get the best you can. Thanks for all the info and I'll see how this Warthog shoots now.