In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is there an all around powder?

one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
Ok so I purchased 3 more rifles and that ate up my budget, putting me back some time before I get everything I need to reload. I'm thinking the components are what will jump the most once the new Pres gets his way. My question is this. Is there a powder that will work for everything from 223 to 338 and 9m to 44mag.

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fairly universal PISTOL powder is Unique.

A fairly universal RIFLE powder is IMR 4895.
  • one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I think I'd better buy 2 more reloading manuals and start with a pound each of one or two starter loads. Not cheap but I still think bullets and powder are gonna jet soon moreso than a loading press and dies so thats my reason for buying now.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by one2hutn
    Thanks. I think I'd better buy 2 more reloading manuals and start with a pound each of one or two starter loads. Not cheap but I still think bullets and powder are gonna jet soon moreso than a loading press and dies so thats my reason for buying now.

If you are loading for a 338 win mag try some 4350 and 4831, My BAR gave awesome results with it using the Hornaday 225 grain bullet.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique is universal but smoky in light charges. Bullseye is universal in very light to medium pistol loads and is cleaner burning.
    Either is suitable for standard 9mm loads.
    Neither are suited for max 44M loads with heavy bullets where slower powders are needed.
    A little bit of either goes a longer way than other powders.